Mott just kicked my ass with facts

Top's new gal

9HVCWbo.jpg

Not one instance of the word "nigger"?

Ruh roh and checkmate.

Remember, Goon-O will get just desserts and you'll have to sit back and watch, you phony, hand-wringing hypocrite.

Give me time, you've had three or four different names since you started here, you two-faced pearl clutching bigot. ;)

Same reason we women joke around with each other and call each other and ourselves "bitches." We're taking a slur used against us, and owning it. But if a man calls a woman a bitch, then he's usually being a misogynist pig. See the difference?

Unless it's someone like you, who is a bitch. :good4u:

I agree that in present use it is derogatory. However, it does not have the same emotional and historical impact as calling someone the n-word. Nor is it racist. Jews are not a race. Non-Jew is also not a race.

Do you know if shiksa is an insult? I admit to not being up on Jewish trash talk, we've only had racist language here up to now.

Would you think anything of it if he used the term "white trash" instead of goy? I'm just trying to figure out the parameters here.

Look again at the meaning of the term:

Use of this term usually implies a contempt for non-Jews as being different from or even inferior to Jews:

If we used that term to describe a race and not a religion how would we feel about it?

Toxic doesn't discuss politics at all. She only comes to political discussion sites to bash ppl... either celebrities (who are usually black and/or female), or other board members. There's no there, there. Just an empty head full of bitterness and envy. Minty and her were just made for each other!

(Funny hint: Watch her copy/pasting deteriorate as her agitation grows!)

Minty's found herself a Queen! :rofl2:

Would that be 'racist'?

No. But it probably would be considered bigotry. That being said, my mom cried for a week when my oldest brother announced he was converting to Catholicism to marry his fiancee. (We were Lutheran.) More bigotry, eh? Apparently some moms want to keep their kids in whatever religion they were raised in.

Look again at the meaning of the term:

Use of this term usually implies a contempt for non-Jews as being different from or even inferior to Jews:

If we used that term to describe a race and not a religion how would we feel about it?

I did look and it doesn't say that's the real meaning. It's under a usage note. So it looks like the term can be used two ways, legitimately and as an insult.

goy

or goi

[goi]
noun, plural goy·im [goi-im] /ˈgɔɪ ɪm/, goys. Usually Disparaging.

a term used by a Jew to refer to someone who is not Jewish.
a term used by an observant Jew to refer to a Jew who is not religious or is ignorant of Judaism.

Origin of goy

1835–45; < Yiddish < Hebrew goi nation, non-Jew, Jew ignorant of the Jewish religion
Related forms goy·ish , adjective

Usage note

Use of this term usually implies a contempt for non-Jews as being different from or even inferior to Jews: Only a goy would use such faulty logic. goy is rarely used in a neutral, descriptive way as a synonym for gentile , though that is its meaning in Yiddish and Hebrew. In another usually disparaging usage, goy is applied to a Jew who is not observant.

I agree that in present use it is derogatory. However, it does not have the same emotional and historical impact as calling someone the n-word. Nor is it racist. Jews are not a race. Non-Jew is also not a race.

If none of us has ever even heard of the term goyim before 12 months ago, and if it is a Jewish word used to refer to non-jews, there is zero legitimate chance that anyone here was genuinely offended by it - and certainly not in the way that chink, N-word, heeb, and spic are universally recognized as highly offensive and dehumanizing.

Let's just chalk up this episode as another tepid teabagger attempt to establish false equivalency, and express their faux outrage.

Back