Need advice of a moral and legal nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dune, if your son is over 18 then he is rightfully entitled to that vodka, as a legal adult.

The American concept of the "adult minor" is the most fucking retarded aspect of our legal system.

And I'm completely serious, and not trolling.

Agree. He can join the army and kill or be killed, he can legaly drink on an army base, he has his own passport, he can vote and marry.

How do you know that he didn't have someone buy it for him?

He told me. It is very difficult to convince people to buy alcohol for minors in this state these days. The buyer can be held responsible for all manner of death and destruction arising from illegal drinking.

I doubt that this is his first time drinking; because most kids don't start off with Vodka.

other than beer, I think vodka is the first stuff kids try in terms of hard liquor. It's what I tried first. I think the reason is, it's one of the most well known, so newbies go to it by default.

In terms of specifics, you would have had to be there, but as an example, when I mentioned the incident, he asked to the effect of "well what do you want me to do about it?" To which I responded, "I want you to check I.D.s. His response to this was "I don't need you to tell me how to do my job". It was at that point that I left.

I had expected at least a slightly concilliatory tone.

a store fucking up not checking ids/selling underage, (probably everwhere) but especially in mass, can seriously put them at risk for losing their license.

I dont know how the exact wording of your exchange went, but he might have tried to avoid the specifics for legal reasons.

Also, does your son have a fake id? Because I don't know what kind of legal trouble that could carry, but I'm pretty sure that you can get in trouble if caught with one.

a store fucking up not checking ids/selling underage, (probably everwhere) but especially in mass, can seriously put them at risk for losing their license.

I dont know how the exact wording of your exchange went, but he might have tried to avoid the specifics for legal reasons.

Also, does your son have a fake id? Because I don't know what kind of legal trouble that could carry, but I'm pretty sure that you can get in trouble if caught with one.

No, that is the issue. He is tall, at 6'2", but other than that, he looks like he is 18.
Considering how easy it is to lose a liquor license in this state, I am utterly amazed at the gentleman's response to me.

well again if some stranger comes into the store trying to get me to admit that i sold to someone underage, I am probably mentally shutting down as well.

I wasn't trying to get him to admit anything. As a fellow business owner, my first impulse was to protect the business against a poorly performing employee.

You showed him what a caring parent does to protect a child, and when you confronted the seller for not obeying the law re: IDs, you also showed your son that someone else's illegal actions won't be tolerated.

Good luck, and fingers crossed that the investigator won't do more than give your son a good talking-to.

No, you're teaching the spoiled brat that he can blame others for his crime.

You appear to be more angry at the store, instead of your own son.
Did the store force him to buy it?

I agree that the store should be held responsible for the employee not checking an ID; but what about your responsiblity of teaching your son better coping skills.
Your son violated the law, as much as the store did.
I doubt that this is his first time drinking; because most kids don't start off with Vodka.

Well, I disagree, I remember as a kid getting vodka because it was cheap and didn't smell, could be mixed with juice and got the job done quickly.

Yes, we should teach our children "coping" skills, but most kids try underaged drinking at some point.

Rune, speak with your son, you obviously know what is bugging him. Just keep the lines of communication open.

It is unfortunate the store owner was not cooperative. He is pretty stupid not to have worked with you.

Your son may get in trouble, but sometimes our children need to face consequences in order to grow and not make bigger mistakes.

Counseling may be in order.

Dune, if your son is over 18 then he is rightfully entitled to that vodka, as a legal adult.

The American concept of the "adult minor" is the most fucking retarded aspect of our legal system.

And I'm completely serious, and not trolling.

I agree, but until he is 21, he can't drink. Work to change the law!

Well, I disagree, I remember as a kid getting vodka because it was cheap and didn't smell, could be mixed with juice and got the job done quickly.

Yes, we should teach our children "coping" skills, but most kids try underaged drinking at some point.

Rune, speak with your son, you obviously know what is bugging him. Just keep the lines of communication open.

It is unfortunate the store owner was not cooperative. He is pretty stupid not to have worked with you.

Your son may get in trouble, but sometimes our children need to face consequences in order to grow and not make bigger mistakes.

Counseling may be in order.

Many, many teens push the envelope in one way or another. It's generally a matter of degree. I believe the ones who don't get caught far outnumber the ones who do. I know parents who've let kids younger than 18 actually drink in their homes, because they say it's better than being on the street and getting caught. What kind of logic is that?

I think it's great that Dune took a stand. Maybe his son will pay for what he did, maybe not. But for all the people who think this it's "enabling" if he gets off with a stern lecture, even the justice system has an ARD program for first-time offenders. One mistake shouldn't brand the son for life.

is there a reason you didn't quote my post? i know you read my posts, yet, you don't respond directly to them.

his response would have pissed me off as well.

LOL

according to dune:

i win

:)

ZOMG!!

Rune asks for advice from everyone and all you can do is whine because he doesn't quote your comment?

You truly are the biggest narcissistic douche I've ever encountered.

dune, you're doing the right thing. imo, both legally and morally.

how was owner rude to you btw? and, i hope you're aware, your son could likely face criminal charges and as an adult, it will be on his record permanently.

How serious could charges for drinking be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back