Origin of Life

Organic compounds of carbon are actually not that unusual in the solar system.

The mystery is making the jump from inert molecules to infinitely complex cellular biology.

I have not read very much on this chondrite the Japanese studied, but there seems to be sometime special about it because it is a very low density asteroid filled with pore spaces in which interesting organic chemistry might evolve.

I see it as ultimately #1.
Like an onion, science peels back layers of chemistry/physics/etc explaining how certain steps toward life came to be and thats great.
But I believe (not think) once that last layer is uncovered the first step will be a miracle aka the hand of the Creator.

I have no problem with science nor do I believe it is incompatible with faith.

God is not hiding anything but rather I believe (not think) he is guiding our learning as fast as we are capable of understanding it.

Obviously not all Christians agree with me and thats ok too. God reveals himself to us as we are capable of understanding it. He is all about interacting with us all as individuals as opposed to some generic pidgeon holed bloc. It is men who insist that we self pidgeon hole. Its easier to control us that way.

Thanks for your opinion.

I tend to think if something happened once in this universe (evolution of cellular biology from inert chemicals) I would generally expect to see it happen again somewhere.

Although I am prepared for the possibility that life is extremely rare, depending on a perfect storm of conditions: right kind of planet, right kind of star, right kind of orbit, right kind of chemistry, right kind of magnetic field, etc

Organic compounds of carbon are actually not that unusual in the solar system.

The mystery is making the jump from inert molecules to infinitely complex cellular biology.

I have not read very much on this chondrite the Japanese studied, but there seems to be sometime special about it because it is a very low density asteroid filled with pore spaces in which interesting organic chemistry might evolve.

I'm guessing this is the same one: https://www.lpi.usra.edu/planetary_news/2021/07/27/a-new-type-of-carbonaceous-chondrite/
A recent study led by Makoto Kimura of the National Institute of Polar Research in Japan reports on two unusual carbonaceous chondrites, Asuka (A)-9003 and Asuka (A) 09535, that show similar characteristics to a previously reported ungrouped meteorite, Yamato (Y)-82094. These three meteorites have the highest abundances of refractory inclusions and bulk oxygen isotopic compositions of carbonaceous (C) chondrites and are most similar to the CO and CV groups (named for the Ornans and Vigarano meteorites). However, they also have chondrule-to-matrix ratios similar to unequilibrated ordinary chondrites. The authors suggest these samples may represent a new group of carbonaceous chondrites tentatively called CA types after Asuka Station, a Japanese observation base in Antarctica.

Thanks for your opinion.

I tend to think if something happened once in this universe (evolution of cellular biology from inert chemicals) I would generally expect to see it happen again somewhere.

Although I am prepared for the possibility that life is extremely rare, depending on a perfect storm of conditions: right kind of planet, right kind of star, right kind of orbit, right kind of chemistry, right kind of magnetic field, etc

well the universe is pretty damn big and we have only a very poor glimpse of a tiny fraction of it.

pretty good chance we are not the only place to see it happen IMO.

surely if God wanted to see it, he could tip that first domino anywhere he wished.

no reason to think we are the exclusive beneficiary of that grace.

well the universe is pretty damn big and we have only a very poor glimpse of a tiny fraction of it.

pretty good chance we are not the only place to see it happen IMO.

surely if God wanted to see it, he could tip that first domino anywhere he wished.

no reason to think we are the exclusive beneficiary of that grace.
I am not going to begrudge anyone who wants to think there is some guiding principle to the presence of life in the universe.

On the flipside, the laws of biochemistry and genetics seemingly indicate that random genetic mutation is a driving factor in the evolution of life.

Random mutation does not particularly strike me as a guided or designed process.

I am not going to begrudge anyone who wants to think there is some guiding principle to the presence of life in the universe.

On the flipside, the laws of biochemistry and genetics seemingly indicate that random genetic mutation is a driving factor in the evolution of life.

Random mutation does not particularly strike me as a guided or designed process.

oh to be sure random genetic mutation is a thing and been doing its crazy dance for as long as there was DNA to mutate.
but we still have to push backward to where/how/when DNA came to be before we can start mutating it.
and then a home for that DNA to inhabit had to come to be first.
they've got some ideas on this of course and will continue to get more which surely will demonstrate that other equally mysterious things occurred to set up those preceding steps.
but as you push back and back and back I believe (and think really) we will come to a point that can only be comprehended kinda like this:

th

oh to be sure random genetic mutation is a thing and been doing its crazy dance for as long as there was DNA to mutate.
but we still have to push backward to where/how/when DNA came to be before we can start mutating it.
and then a home for that DNA to inhabit had to come to be first.
they've got some ideas on this of course and will continue to get more which surely will demonstrate that other equally mysterious things occurred to set up those preceding steps.
but as you push back and back and back I believe (and think really) we will come to a point that can only be comprehended kinda like this:

th

I do not think lack of understanding is implies divine intervention is responsible. But we clearly do not have a grasp on how inert organic molecules could self organize into infinitely complex cellular biology, nor do I think we are remotely close to really understanding it.

The fact that random genetic mutation ultimately led to Homo Sapiens after four billion years could be just a fluke, a whim of evolution.

Whatever the origin of life actually was,
can we at least agree that it was a fucking bad idea?

I'm off to breakfast with my old union buds. Maybe we'll discuss it at the restaurant.

Speaking of food, I just happened to look at the price per pound of the prime tenderloin roast that I bought for Christmas.
$34.99 per pound. Over two hundred bucks for a hunk of meat. And I'll probably enjoy the Christmas Eve Chinese takeout more,
not that that will be any cheaper.

If I weren't making my stomach happy, which is very important, I'd be the first to say,
Bah, Humbug!

What were we talking about? Origina of Life? Yup. Bad idea.

I do not think lack of understanding is implies divine intervention is responsible. But we clearly do not have a grasp on how inert organic molecules could self organize into infinitely complex cellular biology, nor do I think we are remotely close to really understanding it.

The fact that random genetic mutation ultimately led to Homo Sapiens after four billion years could be just a fluke, a whim of evolution.

I think its the very nature of evolution (fluke/whim).
And if its going on somewhere else far far away it could just as easily wind up as stick figures or platypuses or living rocks. Opposable thumbs are pretty useful so our design kinda works on many levels but its not the only way.

I think its the very nature of evolution (fluke/whim).
And if its going on somewhere else far far away it could just as easily wind up as stick figures or platypuses or living rocks. Opposable thumbs are pretty useful so our design kinda works on many levels but its not the only way.

I think the right question to be asking is whether DNA-based life is inevitable, or does life take forms we do not recognize or are not aware of.

Evolution happens on earth because of genetic information being transmitted and modified through time by sexual selection, mutation, and geographic segregation.

For all we know, that type of evolutionary genetics is rare or unique to earth, and there might be other possibilities of life not requiring genetic information and sexual selection.

I currently lean towards number two, but keep an open mind.
It would be nice if we had more intel on emergence: the transition from non-life to life. There is zero chance something as mind boggling complex as even a single eukaryotic cell just appeared on the scene without an incredible sequence of interim events. Unless we were seeded from another planetary body.

I say three

From our position it just seems rare

I currently lean towards number two, but keep an open mind.
It would be nice if we had more intel on emergence: the transition from non-life to life. There is zero chance something as mind boggling complex as even a single eukaryotic cell just appeared on the scene without an incredible sequence of interim events. Unless we were seeded from another planetary body.

My son thinks the Planet was 'seeded'.

Could be

I doubt it

That would mean it should be easier to find life elsewhere

Maybe we are the beginning edge

Or

Just not capable of detecting it yet

I think the right question to be asking is whether DNA-based life is inevitable, or does life take forms we do not recognize or are not aware of.

Evolution happens on earth because of genetic information being transmitted and modified through time by sexual selection, mutation, and geographic segregation.

For all we know, that type of evolutionary genetics is rare or unique to earth, and there might be other possibilities of life not requiring genetic information and sexual selection.

Its certainly up in the air if DNA is the only way to "manage" life (as we know it, may be vastly different ways to have life).

I'm content to focus on life "as we know it". There is a lifetime of mystery in that, probably another few hundreds of life times.

But any way you slice it, there certainly seems to be an intelligent design behind it all.

Its certainly up in the air if DNA is the only way to "manage" life (as we know it, may be vastly different ways to have life).

I'm content to focus on life "as we know it". There is a lifetime of mystery in that, probably another few hundreds of life times.

But any way you slice it, there certainly seems to be an intelligent design behind it all.

Assuming there is not primitive life on the water worlds orbiting Jupiter and Saturn, I think the best we are going to be able to do is look for biological signatures in the atmospheric chemical spectrums of exoplanets.

We aren't even really close to understanding how inert chemicals crossed the threshold to complex cellular biology on this planet. So I think fundamental progress on this is likely to be pain-stakingly slow.

Last edited:
Assuming there is not primitive like on the water worlds orbiting Jupiter and Saturn, I think the best we are going to be able to do is look for biological signatures in the atmospheric chemical spectrums of exoplanets.

Yes assuming that what we understand about spectrum identification applies to distant worlds.
what if they have completely new and different elements or ways to combine them ?

We aren't even really close to understanding how inert chemicals crossed the threshold to complex cellular biology on this planet. So I think fundamental progress on this is likely to be pain-stakingly slow.

no, miles to go there is we even get that far but progress is happening far quicker in the past 30 years (grabbing a number out of the air) than in the previous 30 so who knows ?

and just to throw another spanner into the works, what about chi/life force or any of the many other like concepts from around the world. could IT be driving DNA alteration ? Could IT be the mojo that turns inert to "ert" ? We really know very little about this but I personally know it to be very real and tangible.

Yes assuming that what we understand about spectrum identification applies to distant worlds.
what if they have completely new and different elements or ways to combine them ?

no, miles to go there is we even get that far but progress is happening far quicker in the past 30 years (grabbing a number out of the air) than in the previous 30 so who knows ?

and just to throw another spanner into the works, what about chi/life force or any of the many other like concepts from around the world. could IT be driving DNA alteration ? Could IT be the mojo that turns inert to "ert" ? We really know very little about this but I personally know it to be very real and tangible.

We are not going to find any new, naturally occurring elements in any measurable quantity.

Other than hydrogen, helium, lithium, all naturally-occurring elements are created in stellar nuclear fusion or super novas, and we have an extremely good handle on it from both experimental observation and from modeling..

I do not know anything about chi life force and cannot say anything intelligent about it

Bubba-Smith_415.jpg

I don’t know how to do it. I can’t afford it.

Grandpa gave me a casting lesson. There’s no preload.
It’s a simple overhead swing. The reel’s old. I Can’t
remember the last time it was serviced. The bearing is bad.
WHICH WAY IS THE WIND BLOWING?!?!

2948_1200x.jpg

You’re not allowed to do that. I tell people what to do. BING POW! Oh ch!t what happened?
What did I do?
I put out a big bait on a shark float.

Back