Rape: Do victims of rape share any responsibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is another article from Canada that really hits the nail on the head.

Barbara Kay: Rape culture and the delusions of the feminist mind

Republish Reprint

Barbara Kay | February 28, 2014 10:59 AM ET
More from Barbara Kay | @BarbaraRKay

university.png

Darren Calabrese/National PostStudents on campus: nothing to fear

In 1841 Scottish journalist Charles Mackay published a history of popular folly called Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, a rather sensationalistic overview of the irrationality that occasionally seizes an entire society or nation. Most famous are his economic examples, like the 1840s “Railway Mania,” as well as the notorious South Sea Bubble (1711-20) and the Dutch “tulip mania” of the early 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century. Common to all the delusions Mackay cited was the enormous disparity between the confident enthusiasm these commodities evoked as the path to wealth and the lack of reliable evidence to support such an assumption.

If Mackay were living today, he would doubtless add “rape culture” to his long list of popular delusions. On campus after campus, with virtually no statistical evidence to support their claims, feminists have promoted the idea that a woman runs a far higher risk of being sexually assaulted on a North American university campus (one in four or five, depending on the source) than a lifelong smoker has of getting cancer (one in 11 for men, one in 15 for women).
"At University of Pittsburgh, with 14,800 female students, four sexual assaults were reported."
Health-conscious people do not smoke for fear of getting lung cancer. It would be pretty stupid to take the attitude that smoking is a pleasurable activity, so should not cause cancer, and therefore it is fine to take the risk. Likewise, if the risk of sexual assault on campus were truly one in five – to take the “conservative” estimate – no parent in their right mind would send their daughter to coed universities. But they do. And on campus after campus, we are seeing action being taken to prevent rape, in the form, for example, of McGill’s new “Forum of Consent,” the purpose of which is apparently to transmogrify sexual foreplay into a Stasi-level interrogation of intention, without which the sex act to follow is ipso facto sexual assault.

The fact is that “rape culture” is a form of popular mania like so many others before it. It does not exist. Or if it does, nobody has yet brought forward evidence of it. What we have seen is ideology attached to a great deal of personal narrative regarding unwanted or regretted sex. Some of those narratives have been compelling, but unsupported by evidence. Some have been compelling and found to be false allegations. Many of the narratives are based in recollection hazed over by alcoholic smog. And most of them would not stand up for two minutes in a criminal court of law.

Many observers have become more, not less skeptical with the mounting hysteria. One such observer has done something useful to validate our skepticism. Chad Hermann, a writer and management communication professor at Carnegie Mellon University’s Tepper School of Business, has published an article in communityvoices.post-gazette.com assessing both the claims and the actual statistical evidence for rape culture, in which he illuminates some glaring contradictions.

Hermann set the typical projected figure of 20-25% of women as victims of forced sex against the reported sexual assault offenses over three years at Pittsburgh’s three largest residential universities: the University of Pittsburgh (UP), Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) and Duquesne University (DU). In 2009: At UP, with 14,800 female students, four sexual assaults were reported. At CMU, with about 3,900 female students, six sexual assaults were reported (a three-year high). At DU, with 5,700 females, three were reported.

But wait: We “know” (we don’t really) that 90% of rapes go unreported! Okay, Hermann adjusts the numbers to reflect that, giving UP 40 assaults, CMU 60 and DU 30. Are we at one-in-four yet? Hardly. We’re at one-in-185 (average of the three). That was in 2009. Over three years, 2007-9, women’s chances of being sexually assaulted average out for the reported cases to one in 1,877. If you factor in the 90% allegedly unreported, you get a maximum of only one in 188.

So relax ladies. Although there should never be sexual assaults on any woman on campus, there is no need to panic. Moreover, it is fair comment to observe that those women students who do not drink to excess, who are prudent about the kind of parties they attend, and who are selective about their sexual partners in general will doubtless reduce their odds much further, down to statistically nugatory levels.

If these statistics do not convince you, then I suggest you are in the grip of a serious ideological virus. There is a remedy for it, called critical thinking. If on the other hand, you rather like the febrile effects of delusion, then perhaps I could interest you in some bitcoins going cheap, and sure to make you a fortune!

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...lture-and-the-delusions-of-the-feminist-mind/

Last edited:
In a perfect world, there would be no need for this discussion, because there would be no rape; but then we also wouldn't have false accusations of rape that for the most part, destroy the lives of those falsely accused.

In a perfect world, there would be no need for this discussion, because there would be no rape; but then we also wouldn't have false accusations of rape that for the most part, destroy the lives of those falsely accused.

We also wouldn't have deranged gender feminists making up bullshit statistics about rape, such as one in four women experience it in their lifetimes.

Health-conscious people do not smoke for fear of getting lung cancer. It would be pretty stupid to take the attitude that smoking is a pleasurable activity, so should not cause cancer, and therefore it is fine to take the risk. Likewise, if the risk of sexual assault on campus were truly one in five – to take the “conservative” estimate – no parent in their right mind would send their daughter to coed universities. But they do. And on campus after campus, we are seeing action being taken to prevent rape, in the form, for example, of McGill’s new “Forum of Consent,” the purpose of which is apparently to transmogrify sexual foreplay into a Stasi-level interrogation of intention, without which the sex act to follow is ipso facto sexual assault.

The fact is that “rape culture” is a form of popular mania like so many others before it. It does not exist. Or if it does, nobody has yet brought forward evidence of it. What we have seen is ideology attached to a great deal of personal narrative regarding unwanted or regretted sex. Some of those narratives have been compelling, but unsupported by evidence. Some have been compelling and found to be false allegations. Many of the narratives are based in recollection hazed over by alcoholic smog. And most of them would not stand up for two minutes in a criminal court of law.

Many observers have become more, not less skeptical with the mounting hysteria. One such observer has done something useful to validate our skepticism. Chad Hermann, a writer and management communication professor at Carnegie Mellon University’s Tepper School of Business, has published an article in communityvoices.post-gazette.com assessing both the claims and the actual statistical evidence for rape culture, in which he illuminates some glaring contradictions.

Hermann set the typical projected figure of 20-25% of women as victims of forced sex against the reported sexual assault offenses over three years at Pittsburgh’s three largest residential universities: the University of Pittsburgh (UP), Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) and Duquesne University (DU). In 2009: At UP, with 14,800 female students, four sexual assaults were reported. At CMU, with about 3,900 female students, six sexual assaults were reported (a three-year high). At DU, with 5,700 females, three were reported.

But wait: We “know” (we don’t really) that 90% of rapes go unreported! Okay, Hermann adjusts the numbers to reflect that, giving UP 40 assaults, CMU 60 and DU 30. Are we at one-in-four yet? Hardly. We’re at one-in-185 (average of the three). That was in 2009. Over three years, 2007-9, women’s chances of being sexually assaulted average out for the reported cases to one in 1,877. If you factor in the 90% allegedly unreported, you get a maximum of only one in 188.

So relax ladies. Although there should never be sexual assaults on any woman on campus, there is no need to panic. Moreover, it is fair comment to observe that those women students who do not drink to excess, who are prudent about the kind of parties they attend, and who are selective about their sexual partners in general will doubtless reduce their odds much further, down to statistically nugatory levels.

If these statistics do not convince you, then I suggest you are in the grip of a serious ideological virus. There is a remedy for it, called critical thinking. If on the other hand, you rather like the febrile effects of delusion, then perhaps I could interest you in some bitcoins going cheap, and sure to make you a fortune!
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...feminist-mind/

Last edited:
There are two types of rapists. The predator who rapes regardless of a woman's dress code or even of her physical attractiveness or appearance. The predator rapist does not rape for sex, he rapes for power.

The second kind of rapist is the opportunist or situational rapist. This person rapes because he's drunk, or perhaps because he's young and stupid. This is the kind of rapist you find on college campuses or perhaps after too much to drink he thinks her no after heavy petting means she wants you, she's just playing coy.

Does a woman play a part in her rape, or worded another way, does she have any responsibility? No, never. But there are women who enjoy putting their sexuality out there taunting and teasing men, who then seem shocked that men are confused by the message of "look at me and think about sex, but don't touch"; those kind of womenare bitches.

Why shouldn't women enjoy putting their sexuality on display? Men do it all the time and get applauded for it. Taunting and teasing isn't a one-way street. When do you ever hear about a man getting raped by a woman because he wore tight jeans that highlighted his junk and she couldn't control herself? Men call that "getting lucky", not rape.

Yes but what about the situation which I suspect happens a lot where a woman and a man are both drunk, have sex and then, for various reasons, she regrets it and cries rape. Those reasons can include embarrassment, guilt, shame or even revulsion.

Do you remember the thread from one of our posters here (who shall go unnamed) where he claimed he was taken advantage of while drunk? Beats me why anybody would want to have sex with a person who was drunk off their a$$, male or female.

Do you remember the thread from one of our posters here (who shall go unnamed) where he claimed he was taken advantage of while drunk? Beats me why anybody would want to have sex with a person who was drunk off their a$$, male or female.

Because the only way Darla can "get" a guy, is if he's wearing really thick beer goggles.

Yes that was Pisskop I believe. It is hardly surprising that people have sex whilst drunk, most meet in bars and clubs and alcohol is the most used social lubricant.

This is not to be an answer to rape but to determine whether or not there is some partial responsibility. I live in Los Angeles where it is known as the epicenter and originator of Bloods and Crips. If I know that these particular gangs operate based on colors and MLB hat logos yet I continue to wear opposing colors (along with the signature hats) and I'm accosted, who is responsible?

First of all the Bloods and Crips are criminals. If they'll kill you based on colors and logos you'd have to be foolhardy to wear those items in their territory. But if you're talking about women's clothing, she makes the decision on how sexy her clothing should be and no one else (unless she's still under parental control). And a woman should be able to wear a sexy outfit without having to worry about getting attacked. I just don't get this putting the onus of sexy v. non-sexy clothing on the woman, it suggests that men have no self-control over their primal urges.

Why shouldn't women enjoy putting their sexuality on display? Men do it all the time and get applauded for it. Taunting and teasing isn't a one-way street. When do you ever hear about a man getting raped by a woman because he wore tight jeans that highlighted his junk and she couldn't control herself? Men call that "getting lucky", not rape.

I never said it justified rape- you need to retread what I wrote about that. The only guys I have ever heard of sporting "sexy clothes" are either gay or male dancers.

The point here is to not point the finger but to determine whether or not, NOT taking precautions may in fact make you at least partially responsible. I'm sorry but I've seen far too many college women that get plastered wear short skirts and act like men who are also plastered are supposed to be on their best behavior. People don't realize that alcohol inhibits the frontal lobe of your brain, the center that deals with logic and compartmentalization of thoughts and behaviors. People often think if one suggests partial responsibility people immediately think "oh you're blaming the victim" no, but if you don't take steps in being safe then not only the risk factors increase, but also in retrospect you cannot blame your surroundings for your failures.

Well the answer seems to be for college students not to get so drunk they lose all inhibitions.

I never said it justified rape- you need to retread what I wrote about that. The only guys I have ever heard of sporting "sexy clothes" are either gay or male dancers.

I did read what you wrote and I replied to the part I disagreed with. The part where you say a woman is a taunter, a teaser and a bitch who's sending mixed messages because she wears sexy clothing. Where do you draw the line between simple flirting and sending mixed messages?

I did read what you wrote and I replied to the part I disagreed with. The part where you say a woman is a taunter, a teaser and a bitch who's sending mixed messages because she wears sexy clothing. Where do you draw the line between simple flirting and sending mixed messages?

Don't you think that performers like Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus et al have a lot to answer for, what kind of message are they sending out to prepubescent girls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back