Reality check on electric cars

If you put sodium batteries in them, they will weigh a lot more than a full sized pickup truck. Sodium batteries are heavier than lithium batteries. Nordberg thinks that sodium batteries are going to save the EV.

Sodium is also far more dangerous as it spontaneously combusts if it comes in contact with water.

You pump out post after post full of things that are false. That makes them false posts. You are so behind. https://techcrunch.com/2021/07/28/what-teslas-bet-on-iron-based-batteries-means-for-manufacturers/ As I said, battery tech is changing rapidly. Try and keep up.

There is no such thing as a 'false post'. Inversion fallacy. Buzzword fallacy. Lithium ion batteries are exactly the same as when they were invented in the 70's. It is the same chemistry. It has the same amp hour rating per mole of lithium as always. Nothing has changed.

It is, so that changing tech will make your $60,000 Tesla literally worthless when you (try to) trade it in in 2 years.

Nope. Lithium ion batteries still produce 3861Ah per kg of lithium used. That has not changed since that battery was invented in the 70s.
Nordberg denies chemistry. The chemistry has not changed one iota. It is still the same chemistry.

All that has happened is that Tesla (and others) are putting more batteries in their cars to improve their range.
This, of course, makes the car even heavier and able to carry even less payload.

He is also, of course, ignoring the dwindling supply of lithium, and the increasing price for the ore, increasing the price of every EV.

1677977644406-png.1219404

It is, so that changing tech will make your $60,000 Tesla literally worthless when you (try to) trade it in in 2 years.

Why? Teslas get about 300 miles. I am sure that is enough range for almost anyone. It is the 2nd best-used car to be selling now.

Why? Teslas get about 300 miles. I am sure that is enough range for almost anyone. It is the 2nd best-used car to be selling now.

Nowhere near it. The Ford F150 is the best selling used car, followed by the Chevy Silverado. That's followed by the RAM 1500.
Also currently the best selling new cars.

People seem to want trucks.

Sources: Autoweek, 2022 dealer sales figures.

Batteries on Teslas age with each recharge, reducing their range. They do not have the same range as a new Tesla. The first charge of a new Li-ion battery reduces it's capacity by 50%! That's done at the factory so you don't see it. Teslas typically aren't sold, they are leased. They are beyond the means of most people to afford to buy one.

I was at a convention in Arizona recently. Out of all the cars there, only two were EVs (Tesla model 3s). They spent the entire convention fighting over the ONE single outlet available.

Batteries on Teslas age with each recharge, reducing their range. They do not have the same range as a new Tesla. The first charge of a new Li-ion battery reduces it's capacity by 50%! That's done at the factory so you don't see it. Teslas typically aren't sold, they are leased. They are beyond the means of most people to afford to buy one.

Same as ICEs, They deteriorate through use and time. Mechanical devices do that.

Back