Reality check on electric cars

The only time it becomes an issue is if you plan on taking a long road trip in an EV.
True. The same is true for trucks that have to work all day, long haul trucks, trains, ships, and aircraft.
But if you're like most people, a vehicle is a daily commuter (work, groceries, etc). These days, a fully charged EV can last over 300 miles. When it gets low, you just plug it in overnight.
Which makes the EV useless as a car for traveling long distances, a work truck, long haul truck, train, ship, or aircraft.

If you want to spend money on a car that has that limitation, feel free. Don't ask me to subsidize it. Don't ask me or force me to support it. I dislike buying your car for you because you want to 'save the planet'.

Further, if you live in the SOTC, you won't have a place to plug your car in overnight reliably. Their power generating capacity is being heavily reduced to the point of blackouts becoming rather common.

Most, well nearly all, of what this article claims is oil subsidies are nonsense. Take this one for example:

The US deployed military forces to that region before oil production existed there. If the Middle East were peaceful and there was no US military presence or assistance to the region, oil production would still occur. One is not dependent on the other, thus US military aid and presence in the Middle East is not a subsidy of oil production. US forces there do not primarily defend oil fields, nor does military assistance given do the same.
The claim the article makes is irrelevant to oil subsidies.

Aside from that, the US does not get most of their oil imports from the Middle East. Only about 15 to 20% (depending on year) or so comes from the Middle East.

us-oil-imports-pct-breakdown-2015.png

us-oil-imports-by-country.png

It is also one of the first regions to see a reduction in imports if US domestic production goes up. This is because of the distance in shipping required raising the price.

It is 80 billion if you do not count the costs of the Iraq war. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/21/us-...to-protect-oil-supplies-report-estimates.html The middle east war for oil was a business, an international one. They sell the oil around the world.

According to the governor of the state, the natural gas plants ceased to work.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/texas-governor-walks-back-fox-052453616.html

Both had problems. Wind farms shut down due to icing conditions. Natural gas lines, which always contain some moisture, froze, plugging the line.

With both sources down, frequency began to drop and there was no additional capacity to compensate for demand (higher than ever, due to people trying to keep warm). The result was disconnection of functioning power plants to save the generators from damage. Blackout.

A most unusual storm for Texas. Texas doesn't get those kinds of storms often, fortunately!

The Brookings institute is a newspaper?

Texas Monthly is a newspaper?

False everything fallacy.

Try again please.

I have that idiot on ignore and he still replies to me. I even have his name in my ignore list, which is visible with each post I make.

True. The same is true for trucks that have to work all day, long haul trucks, trains, ships, and aircraft.

Which makes the EV useless as a car for traveling long distances, a work truck, long haul truck, train, ship, or aircraft.

If you want to spend money on a car that has that limitation, feel free. Don't ask me to subsidize it. Don't ask me or force me to support it. I dislike buying your car for you because you want to 'save the planet'.

Further, if you live in the SOTC, you won't have a place to plug your car in overnight reliably. Their power generating capacity is being heavily reduced to the point of blackouts becoming rather common.

Here you go exercising your stupid fetish again just so you know virtually every train on the planet is electric except for some gas or diesel industrial switchers

Back