Reality check on electric cars

The grid problems are in states who have demonized nukes, coal and natural gas, all of which work flawlessly through the night hours when most electric cars are being recharged. So that is a political problem, not a technical one.

The cost per mile is cheaper because the efficiency of an electric motor is around 95%, vs 35% for internal combustion.

Too bad the watt density of batteries is such that it takes far more power to drive an electric car weighing about a ton + more than it's ICE equivalent...

An interesting yet idiotic name since renewables produce more electricity than coal does in the US.

In 2020:
Coal - 774 billion kwhs
Renewables - 792 billion kwhs

It is not known whether coal is renewable. Indications are that it is.

About 2.4461 TwH is produced from renewable forms of energy, including natural gas, oil, hydroelectric, and the very small amount produced by wind and solar.
Source: U.S. Energy Dept.
Note: The U.S. Energy Dept does not consider renewable fuels like natural gas and oil to be 'renewable' for some reason, even though they are.
Note: The U.S. Energy Dept considers coal, oil, and natural gas to be 'fossils', even though they aren't.

Further, the easiest energy source to bring on line quickly to handle a surge in many electric cars being charged is coal.

Too bad the watt density of batteries is such that it takes far more power to drive an electric car weighing about a ton + more than it's ICE equivalent...

A Tesla Model 3 weighs 3648 lbs.
A Subaru Impreza, a comparable sized car, weighs 2,976 lbs

Sources: Subaru Motor Co., Tesla Corp.

It takes 10-12 hours to charge (refuel) a Tesla Model 3 from dead battery to full charge.
It takes approx 5 minutes to refuel a Subaru Impreza.

A new Subaru Impreza currently costs $18,795 MSRP.
A Tesla Model 3 currently costs $43,990 MSRP.

A Tesla Model 3 weighs 3648 lbs.
A Subaru Impreza, a comparable sized car, weighs 2,976 lbs

Sources: Subaru Motor Co., Tesla Corp.

It takes 10-12 hours to charge (refuel) a Tesla Model 3 from dead battery to full charge.
It takes approx 5 minutes to refuel a Subaru Impreza.

A new Subaru Impreza currently costs $18,795 MSRP.
A Tesla Model 3 currently costs $43,990 MSRP.

What I was getting at is that it takes more energy to push a heavier car down the road at a given speed (assuming atmospheric drag is equal) than it does for a lighter car. My little Lotus Europa weighs 1500 lbs. with someone sitting in it and a full tank of gas. If I don't get my foot into it that car gets close to 40 mpg because of its low weight and good aerodynamic profiling.

The reason the Tesla weighs more is it's toting a 1200 lbs. + of battery that ICE cars don't have. A tank of gas weighs a fraction of that and the engine and transmission aren't much heavier than the electric drive train on a Tesla. Thus, the Tesla ends up much heavier.

It is not known whether coal is renewable. Indications are that it is.

About 2.4461 TwH is produced from renewable forms of energy, including natural gas, oil, hydroelectric, and the very small amount produced by wind and solar.
Source: U.S. Energy Dept.
Note: The U.S. Energy Dept does not consider renewable fuels like natural gas and oil to be 'renewable' for some reason, even though they are.
Note: The U.S. Energy Dept considers coal, oil, and natural gas to be 'fossils', even though they aren't.

Further, the easiest energy source to bring on line quickly to handle a surge in many electric cars being charged is coal.

Coal and Gas are renewable only if you are willing to wait a few million years.

Lying via manufactured quote. Insult fallacy. Trolling. No argument presented.

Manufactured quote? ROFLMAO. So why did Jim Eagle go back and edit his post to change "day" to "night" if I manufactured his quote?

Lovely use of the fallacy fallacy on your part. The fallacy fallacy occurs when a poster, almost always Into the Night claims another poster has used a fallacy without explaining how the fallacy occurs. This is done to make the poster, almost always Into the Night, because they think it will fool others into thinking they are smarter than they actually are.

Manufactured quote? ROFLMAO. So why did Jim Eagle go back and edit his post to change "day" to "night" if I manufactured his quote?

Lovely use of the fallacy fallacy on your part. The fallacy fallacy occurs when a poster, almost always Into the Night claims another poster has used a fallacy without explaining how the fallacy occurs. This is done to make the poster, almost always Into the Night, because they think it will fool others into thinking they are smarter than they actually are.

That's why I take the time to point out how the fallacy I've pointed out is what I claim...

Your need to be an opioid addicted moron is revolting
Why dont you stfu you pin head by they way have you got over your mental break down where you wanted to suck cocks any cock. Lol I had to deal with a saudi kid that did the same think all strung out on dope . I baker acted him .

Back