Reality check on electric cars

Scared? One of those straight-and-level-Day-VFR-only guys?

No. I've intentionally spun airplanes before. It just don't bother anymore. You can't pay attention, can you? I've already said I fly the Cessna IFR. I also fly it at night (days get short around here in the winter!).

No. I've intentionally spun airplanes before. It just don't bother anymore.

You can't pay attention, can you? I've already said I fly the Cessna IFR. I also fly it at night (days get short around here in the winter!).

Why don't you bother? Does it scare you? How about stalls? Going weightless?

You say a lot of weird things. Delusional things.

The reason is a simple one. A Prius is a hybrid design. You are carrying around the weight of TWO power plants but extra batteries. It's a heavy car for it's size.

Joules are joules. You require the same joules to move a given weight a given distance. Increase the weight, and you have to use more energy.

It doesn't matter. You have a battery car, say a Nissan Leaf, versus the same M5, you get the same result. The Leaf uses more charge in terms of kwh (which you can measure for an internal combustion engine) than the M5. How you drive is important.

Look up "hyper-milers."

Now, I'm no hyper-miler, but the concept is sound. How you drive will impact your mileage in whatever you drive. If I take my Lotus Europa out and don't get my foot into it, so-to-speak, that car gets over 40 mpg even though it's an absolute rocket. Why? Because it has a small engine and weighs 1500 lbs., give or take with a full tank of gas and me sitting in it. How you drive is more important than what you drive.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/...ase 1,good thing. 3 Honda Clarity Fuel Cell.

Hydrogen fuel cell cars are already available.

You fill up at a gas station taking minutes, just like a gasoline powered vehicle.

16384899360_1461d19783_b.jpg

Infinitely more practical than a battery car.

Much more so. It isn't, however, more practical than a gasoline or diesel car. Hydrogen just doesn't have as much energy.[/QUOTE]

That's worked out in the design making them just as powerful and efficient as ICE cars. But unlike battery cars you can carry extra fuel with you or refuel in just a few minutes for another 300+ miles of driving.

Battery cars make no sense.

It doesn't matter. You have a battery car, say a Nissan Leaf, versus the same M5, you get the same result. The Leaf uses more charge in terms of kwh (which you can measure for an internal combustion engine) than the M5. How you drive is important.

Look up "hyper-milers."

Now, I'm no hyper-miler, but the concept is sound. How you drive will impact your mileage in whatever you drive. If I take my Lotus Europa out and don't get my foot into it, so-to-speak, that car gets over 40 mpg even though it's an absolute rocket. Why? Because it has a small engine and weighs 1500 lbs., give or take with a full tank of gas and me sitting in it. How you drive is more important than what you drive.

Every time you use your brake, you are converting the energy you paid for into useless thermal energy that dissipates into the atmosphere around the brake. This is actually an acceleration...you are using friction to reduce speed. F=mA.

Every time you stomp on the accelerator instead of smoothly accelerating, your are requiring more force to accelerate the same mass quickly. F=mA. That means more energy to do it. Energy you pay for.

So you are correct.

The only real problem with the electric car is the refueling cycle and the higher expense of the car.
The only real problem with the hydrogen car is that hydrogen just doesn't have as much energy available, either by weight or by volume.

...fixing formatting...
Into the Night said:
Much more so. It isn't, however, more practical than a gasoline or diesel car. Hydrogen just doesn't have as much energy.
That's worked out in the design making them just as powerful and efficient as ICE cars. But unlike battery cars you can carry extra fuel with you or refuel in just a few minutes for another 300+ miles of driving.
Sorry, dude. You cannot change the laws of physics by 'design'. Hydrogen just doesn't have the energy that gasoline or kerosene does, either by weight or by volume. That's a function of the molecule, dude. It has nothing to do with design.

You can certainly design a hydrogen vehicle to have power similar to ICE cars, but you use more hydrogen than a gasoline car would use to do the same thing.

Battery cars make no sense.
They do. Electric golf carts are most commonplace for a reason. They are simple and easily make it around 18 holes before requiring charging. Electric forklifts are commonly used in warehouses (and Home Depot and Lowes stores!) for a reason. They produce no smelly fumes indoors, and the batteries themselves provide the counterweight. A warehouse forklift can easily make it through a shift before requiring recharging. It doesn't move around much.
Electric cars are often great in snow. Their individual traction motors on each wheel can compensate for terrible conditions. These can make it up a slip test ramp with only one wheel given traction, and any wheel will do. Only Subaru, an ICE car, can do the same.

They make decent commuter cars. They are quiet (too quiet!) and do well in town and city driving. They can handle the short freeway use very well. Charging can easily be done when you return home. As a daily use vehicle used primarily for commuting and getting groceries, it does well.

It is horrible for over the road driving (long trips). It is horrible as a work vehicle like a truck that has to drive all day to haul dirt, logs, cement, or anything else.

Hydrogen cars certainly can be refueled in a few minutes, but they will use more fuel to accomplish the same thing that ICE cars do. That's just a function of the hydrogen molecule. You can't do anything about it.

In the end, there is no 'best' vehicle. Get what you want. Drive what you want. Mandating energy markets and vehicle use is just fascism.

This is blasphemy! (like putting a Chevy motor in a Ford)

The electric Cobra develops 308 horsepower and peak torque of 368 pound-feet, according to AC. With an estimated curb weight of around 2,750 pounds, the car can do 0-62 mph in 6.7 seconds, with a top speed of 120 mph. Range is estimated at 150 miles, likely as measured on the European WLTP testing cycle.

Production of the Series 1 Electric and Charter Edition will be limited to 58 cars apiece, in reference to the 58th anniversary of the original Cobra. United Kingdom pricing starts at £138,000 (about $170,000 at current exchange rates) for the Series 1 Electric, and £85,000 ($105,000) for the Charter Edition. However, AC hasn't discussed plans to offer either model in the United States.

(a rather expensive pooch!)

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1128714_ac-cars-will-build-a-limited-run-of-all-electric-cobras

-------------------

Superformance, the noted sports car and replicar builder, is launching an electric replica of the iconic Cobra sports car.

In late October, the company released a teaser video (first spotted by Muscle Cars & Trucks) of an all-electric Cobra—dubbed MKIII E.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...s-electric-with-superformance-mkiii-e-replica

superformance-mkiii-r-cobra_100746720_l.jpg

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1128714_ac-cars-will-build-a-limited-run-of-all-electric-cobras

Back