Religious Typology Quiz

“The aggressive, disruptive, and unforgiving mindset that characterizes so much of our politics has found a home in many American churches,” wrote Peter Wehner, a former senior fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center and a Christian evangelical. “When the Christian faith is politicized, churches become repositories not of grace but of grievances, places where tribal identities are reinforced, where fears are nurtured, and where aggression and nastiness are sacralized.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/02/15/empathy-gap-fix/

I am genuinely interested in what your actual definition of "Freedom" is. (I understand you may not be amenable to actually answering my question since I sense I am still in the "dog house" over my comments on faith. Hopefully we can move beyond that as I would actually love to know what the definition of "freedom" is per your philosophy).

Thanks!

Philosophers and theologians have been debating the nature of freedom for centuries, so I don't have brilliant answers of my own. I don't think the absence of restraint on action is an adequate definition.
But I Iike FDR's formulation of the four freedoms, and the formulations of freedom by The Buddha, Jesus, Utilitarianism, and German Romantics, aka freedom from the slavery of ignorance and sin, and freedom to create and participate something larger than oneself.

Philosophers and theologians have been debating the nature of freedom for centuries, so I don't have brilliant answers of my own. I don't think the absence of restraint on action is an adequate definition.
But I Iike FDR's formulation of the four freedoms, and the formulations of freedom by The Buddha, Jesus, Utilitarianism, and German Romantics, aka freedom from the slavery of ignorance and sin, and freedom to create and participate something larger than oneself.

Is there anything in common among these examples that might be a good definition of "freedom"?

If we can't define terms at all then it seems fruitless to have terms for things. I like a solid definition that can be leverged for a wide array of things.

Say "Religious Freedom" is the right to practice one's faith without restraint imposed by someone or something else. Freedom of association, same thing. The right to associate with whomever you wish without restraint.

The list goes on and can easily be applied to the high minded philosophical concepts but also to the mundane physical concepts. Perhaps "freedom" is the word we should be talking about now. Perhaps there is some other philosophical term that is more apropos. I don't know what that would be, but clearly "freedom" is too difficult for anyone to truly define and as such no one can speak about it with any authority since clearly you and I both have radically different definitions of the term. I have a definition and you have an indicator that philosophers have been struggling for centuries over the nature of freedom. I don't know how they would do that if there is no definition of the term but it would certainly lead to centuries of difficulty with understanding it. I can certainly see that.

While I readily agree with the claim “certain religious associations” are a bad influence, your oft-repeated dislike of all religion is also bad.

Not everyone will be willing to treat religion as you might wish. I clearly fell afoul of that when I insulted religion and it upset you very much. I see that religion is important to you, at least in terms of showing proper respect for it.

I get that. It's a difficult topic to broach, especially when someone has deeply held beliefs.

Plato wrote Departure from the Cave. We talked about this before. Only 5% of humans have freewill. The other 95% have slave instinct. They are codependent on their masters. The military and universities are a perfect example. They're not allow to think on their own. That's the way they like it. They're afraid to depart the cave.

Plato wrote Departure from the Cave. We talked about this before. Only 5% of humans have freewill. The other 95% have slave instinct. They are codependent on their masters. The military and universities are a perfect example. They're not allow to think on their own. That's the way they like it. They're afraid to depart the cave.

You are clearly one of the dumbest persons on this forum. You struggle to write one coherent sentence.

C'mon...you saw what he did with "Kant", right? Act such that the maxim of your actions should be universal law!
BP spent a whole day denying that Kant's writings were mostly about pleasure and the good for the group as a whole. BP knows nothing about the evolution of ethics.

Back