SEC

FL has only faced one team with a good defensive line. That was Ole Miss. Bama's D line is better.

OK does have an awesome offense. But I think Bama's D can shut it down. Then its Bama in the trenches with ball control, clock control and very few mistakes.

And I haven't seen anyone make open field tackles as well as Bama is this year. Its one of Saban's trademarks.

Likewise... Bama has not faced an offense the caliber of OK, TX or FL... so has your powerful Defense really been tested? I agree they are great in the open field. They have a sweet D-line. But take a look at OK's O-line.... not a slacker in the bunch. They protect the QB well and they open lanes for the RBs.

Obviously the players and the games will ultimately decide who is correct between us. I like Bama and the SEC in general, but I don't think they were as tough as the Big 12 this year.

Likewise... Bama has not faced an offense the caliber of OK, TX or FL... so has your powerful Defense really been tested? I agree they are great in the open field. They have a sweet D-line. But take a look at OK's O-line.... not a slacker in the bunch. They protect the QB well and they open lanes for the RBs.

Obviously the players and the games will ultimately decide who is correct between us. I like Bama and the SEC in general, but I don't think they were as tough as the Big 12 this year.

I will agree that the Big 12 was tougher then the SEC this year, as far as having a lot of good teams.

Other than Bama & the Gators, the SEC didn't show me much this year.

I am looking forward to the games.

I will agree that the Big 12 was tougher then the SEC this year, as far as having a lot of good teams.

Other than Bama & the Gators, the SEC didn't show me much this year.

I am looking forward to the games.

I agree, I am looking forward to this weekends games... as well as the big bowls late Dec, early January.

FL has only faced one team with a good defensive line. That was Ole Miss. Bama's D line is better.

OK does have an awesome offense. But I think Bama's D can shut it down. Then its Bama in the trenches with ball control, clock control and very few mistakes.

And I haven't seen anyone make open field tackles as well as Bama is this year. Its one of Saban's trademarks.

I think you can make a good argument that USC has both a better offense than Bama and a better defense.

USC's offense has the most balanced attack in all of college football and they have the best defense and they have a rarity for a college team. Depth coming off the bench.

Personally, FL and USC are probably the best two teams in the country right now. Bama would be a good match up against Penn St or OSU or Utah and would probably win.

From what I've seen, I think the team that matches up best against either Texas or OK in a bowl game would be Iowa o Ole Miss. That' how bad I think the Big 12 defenses are. There will probably be 6 or 7 Big 12 Teams invited to Bowl games and I'll be surprised if their conference does better than 1 and 6 or 2 and 5.

Last edited:
I think you can make a good argument that USC has both a better offense than Bama and a better defense.

USC's offense has the most balanced attack in all of college football and they have the best defense and they have a rarity for a college team. Depth coming off the bench.

Personally, FL and USC are probably the best two teams in the country right now. Bama would be a good match up against Penn St or OSU or Utah and would probably win.

From what I've seen, I think the team that matches up best against either Texas or OK in a bowl game would be Iowa o Ole Miss. That' how bad I think the Big 12 defenses are. There will probably be 6 or 7 Big 12 Teams invited to Bowl games and I'll be surprised if their conference does better than 1 and 6 or 2 and 5.

You might be able to make that argument. But only two of USC's opponents are ranked now, which is the same as Florida. And USC lost to an unranked opponent who now has an 8-4 record. Funny thing, Florida lost to an unranked team who now has an 8-4 record.

USC has a great team, but I think Florida is a better one. And after Alabama beats Florida tomorrow, that will show that Bama is better than either one.

A tidbit that I just read, Saban has 40 different defensive formations that the team has worked on.

So without any new surprises, he can throw 40 different looks at the Gators.

Should be fun.

You might be able to make that argument. But only two of USC's opponents are ranked now, which is the same as Florida. And USC lost to an unranked opponent who now has an 8-4 record. Funny thing, Florida lost to an unranked team who now has an 8-4 record.

USC has a great team, but I think Florida is a better one. And after Alabama beats Florida tomorrow, that will show that Bama is better than either one.
To be honest, I'm not going by rankings. I'm going by what I've seen from these teams on the field and by the numbers they've compiled.

It's pretty hard to argue that any team is as good on defense right now as USC. A step down from them statistically are Florida, Bama, Penn St, Ohio State, TCU, Boise and Iowa. These are the best defenses in Div Ia. Here's an eye opener though. Not one Big 12 defense is in the top 20 and only 1, Texas, is in the top 40.

On Offense, the best offenses read as a who's who of the Big 12 but when you weigh that against the fact that there's not a single team in the Big 12 with an outstanding defense, you have to be pretty skeptical about those numbers.

If you look at the Sagarin predictor ratings and you adjust them with correction factor for defensive quality, The Big 12 teams drop off the map.

So that's why I think these are the 5 best teams in College

#1 Florida
#2 USC
#3 Penn St
#4 Alabama
#5 Ohio St

If any of the Big 12 teams land in the BCS championship game, it's gonna be a blow out.

So the BCS should shake out like this;

BCS Championship Florida vs Oklahoma (should be another SEC route)

Rose Bowl - Penn St vs USC

Sugar Bowl - Bama vs Utah

Fiesta Bowl - Texas vs Ohio State

Orange - Va Tech vs Cincinnati

TCU, Boise St and Texas Tech will get the shaft as at large teams.

There will be more calls then ever for a play off system.

Helluva game last night. It was either teams to win until the last half of the 4th quarter.

No shame in Bama's game. All those folks who had the crappy sunday after losing the game saturday? Well, its Dec 7th and its the first one of these we have had all year. Good game and a tough fight on both sides. Florida will handle OU handily.

Helluva game last night. It was either teams to win until the last half of the 4th quarter.

No shame in Bama's game. All those folks who had the crappy sunday after losing the game saturday? Well, its Dec 7th and its the first one of these we have had all year. Good game and a tough fight on both sides. Florida will handle OU handily.

Yea and more screams for a play off. The Big 12 appears to be the toughest on paper but I'm pretty sure that the Bowl games will show that their rather weak this year. Look at all the one loss teams this year.

I like Dan Weitzels article for a 16 team play off. It's pretty much the way I see it. The 11 conference champions get an automatic bid with 5 at large bid and no special favoritism for Notre Dame. They can join a conference or sit out of a play off as far as I"m concerned. It also pretty much relegates the polls to what it should be, just one factor in determining at large bids and the play off seedings.

Yea and more screams for a play off. The Big 12 appears to be the toughest on paper but I'm pretty sure that the Bowl games will show that their rather weak this year. Look at all the one loss teams this year.

I like Dan Weitzels article for a 16 team play off. It's pretty much the way I see it. The 11 conference champions get an automatic bid with 5 at large bid and no special favoritism for Notre Dame. They can join a conference or sit out of a play off as far as I"m concerned. It also pretty much relegates the polls to what it should be, just one factor in determining at large bids and the play off seedings.

I would love to see that playoff system in effect. If you look at the computer ratings, the human ratings, the power ratings ect ect ad nauseum, there is so much desparity that could be solved by a playoff system.

And I agree about Notre Dame.

I would love to see that playoff system in effect. If you look at the computer ratings, the human ratings, the power ratings ect ect ad nauseum, there is so much desparity that could be solved by a playoff system.

And I agree about Notre Dame.

It's just a matter of time. The Bowl system just doesn't make sense in light of public demand or the economics. What other college sports program subcontracts it's most profitable products to third party vendors but Division IA football?

The BCS just continues to undermine the old Bowl Coalition. The present "plus one" format has greatly undermined the prestige of the big Bowl games, not to mention that corporate sponsorhips have diluted the brands. "The Fedex Orange Bowl" for christ's sakes.

you are seriously smoking crack.

Missouri will beat Northwestern easily
Oklahoma State will trounce Oregon
Kansas will knock off Minnesota
Nebraska will hammer Clemson
Texas Tech over Ole Miss
Texas over Ohio State
Oklahoma over Florida

Florida barely handled Bamas offense. No way do they slow down Oklahoma.

Side note.... Penn State is also going to knock off USC.... who to date has played no one.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm not going by rankings. I'm going by what I've seen from these teams on the field and by the numbers they've compiled.

It's pretty hard to argue that any team is as good on defense right now as USC. A step down from them statistically are Florida, Bama, Penn St, Ohio State, TCU, Boise and Iowa. These are the best defenses in Div Ia. Here's an eye opener though. Not one Big 12 defense is in the top 20 and only 1, Texas, is in the top 40.

On Offense, the best offenses read as a who's who of the Big 12 but when you weigh that against the fact that there's not a single team in the Big 12 with an outstanding defense, you have to be pretty skeptical about those numbers.

If you look at the Sagarin predictor ratings and you adjust them with correction factor for defensive quality, The Big 12 teams drop off the map.

So that's why I think these are the 5 best teams in College

#1 Florida
#2 USC
#3 Penn St
#4 Alabama
#5 Ohio St

If any of the Big 12 teams land in the BCS championship game, it's gonna be a blow out.

LMAO... when you go up against weak offenses week in and week out, your defense looks a hell of a lot better (see USC and Florida)

When you go up against the most prolific offenses in the country, you are going to give up points.

Last edited:

LMAO... just how many of the Big 12 games have you seen this year? My guess is none. To pretend it is a weak conference is ridiculous. Unless of course you think you are more knowledgeable than all of the sportswriters and coaches in the country.

you are seriously smoking crack.

Missouri will beat Northwestern easily
Oklahoma State will trounce Oregon
Kansas will knock off Minnesota
Nebraska will hammer Clemson
Texas Tech over Ole Miss
Texas over Ohio State
Oklahoma over Florida

Florida barely handled Bamas offense. No way do they slow down Oklahoma.

Side note.... Penn State is also going to knock off USC.... who to date has played no one.

Well what's going to happen to these Big 12 teams when they have to play a team that actually has a defense?

There's only one Big 12 team with a defense rated in the top 40!

Time will tell but I think you're in for a big dissapointment.

LMAO... when you go up against weak offenses week in and week out, your defense looks a hell of a lot better (see USC and Florida)

When you go up against the most prolific offenses in the country, you are going to give up points.

Particularly when you don't have a defense. Florida, Ohio State, USC , Penn St and Bama all have the speed at corners to play the Big 12 offenses man to man and enough size and speed on the line to get to their QB's.

The point I'm making is that the Big 12 offensive numbers are inflated because there's no team in the conference with a decent defense.

Back