Stars Died For You

And you've asked about 50% of it.

Anyways, since you're from the south and clearly incapable of any sort of intellectual discussion that is deeper than pastry, I'll try and keep it simple.

As Brent had mentioned and I suggested, the cause of the big bang was all matter from the universe (a previous one) condensing to the point where it could condense no more and thus expanded outwards creating this universe. The theory that we're speaking of then states that the universe will continue to expand until a certain point (which hasn't yet been reached). At this point the universe will invariably contract (equal and opposite reaction), and continue t do until it reaches the point it did about 14 billion years ago. Where it can't get any smaller and expands outword. Thus its entirely possible for there to have been stars, planets, life, and even brain dead southerners with child-like math skills, before the 'creation' of our universe as we know it.

actually the most likely fate of the universe will be heat death

You misunderstood the question. The same materials which form life are elsewhere, they are part of our universe. Some signs of some kind of life should be present on the moon, on Mars, on other planets within our own solar system... other planets should have formed atmospheres like ours and had an abundance of water. That isn't proving to be the case. Every day, we are finding that what we have here on our planet is very special and unusual. If a star blew up and we just came about as a result, why isn't there life everywhere around us? One of the moons of Jupiter has water and sources of heat from Jupiter, and could possibly sustain life... why isn't it there? It seems that if this human experience is all the result of random elements just coalescing from an explosion of a star, we'd see evidence of life all over. We don't.

When we get into the specific details of life on this planet, we discover that many of the very processes of reproduction, are influenced by cyclical phases of the moon, and it's effect on the earth... the amount of sunlight and darkness... the wobble in our planet's rotation, probably as a result of the moon colliding with the planet when it was formed... this creates 'seasons' on the planet, and enables all kinds of various life forms to exist, which otherwise, couldn't. Without these life forms, other life forms couldn't or wouldn't exist... Our planet has one big giant co-dependent system of life.

Now, I guess, if you want to just believe this all happened simply as a random matter of chance, that all the wonders and miracles of life around us, are the result of happenstance and nothing more.... that's fine... but I think it requires much more faith to believe that, than anything a religious person might believe. Sorry.

Keywords for Dixie:

1. Sample Size
2. Anthropic Principle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle

Care to explain?

although there are many theories about the universes end (big crunch/big rip) heat death is the one that seems to be most likely/touted by scientists currently.

Although I don't grasp the finer nitty gritty details of it, it's basically when the universe reaches a state of maximum entropy, and therefore the energy to sustain life/physical processes simply wont be enough. google could probably do a better job of explaining it than myself though.

I highly recommend this video:

which is pretty much relevant to everything being discussed in this thread. including how a universe could have come from nothing, and what the likely fate of our universe is (heat death).

Good, the big cruch theory seemed like a big rip-off when I saw it on The Universe. I was like, fuck, that one pisses me off, and I don't really know why...

although there are many theories about the universes end (big crunch/big rip) heat death is the one that seems to be most likely/touted by scientists currently.

Although I don't grasp the finer nitty gritty details of it, it's basically when the universe reaches a state of maximum entropy, and therefore the energy to sustain life/physical processes simply wont be enough. google could probably do a better job of explaining it than myself though.

which is pretty much relevant to everything being discussed in this thread. including how a universe could have come from nothing, and what the likely fate of our universe is (heat death).

Heat death was what I was describing. Again, space will keep on getting bigger and bigger, new matter/energy can't be created, and due to entropy this matter will tend to disperse itself evenly. So you reach a point where the universe consists mostly of singular particles seperated from other singular particles by galaxies worth of distance.

Religion should be banned and all religious people should be forced to convert or die.

220px-Diocletien_Vaux1.jpg

220px-IVLIANVS.gif

^

The last two great Roman Emperors. They were the last hope to turn back the tide and save Rome from the poison of Christianity which killed it and western civilization for 1500 years. Diocletian was seriously erroneous in not persecuting enough. I suppose that Julian is lucky to have been able to stay on even for as long as he did.

I've met Lawrence Krauss on several occasions. Bright guy. He was one of the leaders who helped stop the Ohio Board of Education from undermining biology education in the state.

Keywords for Dixie:

1. Sample Size
2. Anthropic Principle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle

Understood, but it still seems odd that if the universe is comprised of all the things which form life, we would see at least some inkling of some kind of life somewhere, or some evidence that life of some kind once existed. We don't even find microbial life on nearby bodies. I just find it difficult to believe that all the necessary elements just happened to coalesce at the right time and place, and life as we know it sprang forth. If it were simply a matter of elements falling into place, there should be some signs of life elsewhere, and if there is, we haven't found it. While we are indeed made up of elements found in the universe, the more we look out into the universe, the more we realize just how unique and special life is. With all our new age technology, the most powerful telescopes man has ever had, space probes and missions, all the energy and money devoted to space, and we have yet to discover any form of living thing on any other body.

Then we look to Earth, and we see a planet with a very complex atmosphere, each layer contributing to an environment which is fundamental to life, protecting us from radiation, insulating us from the cold of space or heat of the sun. We see a planet with an abundance of water, unfrozen because of our atmosphere and proximity to the sun. But still water becomes stagnant and can't support life, while our ocean has tides.... tides which are the result of a moon orbiting the planet. We have an abundance of green plant life and vegetation, but virtually anything in this species of life, requires 'seasons' to reproduce and flourish. We happen to have a wobble in our rotation, which creates seasons, which enables plants to cycle through their growth process. The more we dig into life on this planet, the more we find that it's remarkable, but the more we also find that it's not all that simple. Life does not exist here "just because" and no matter how much you try to sell me on that, I simply don't believe you.

Religion should be banned and all religious people should be forced to convert or die.

220px-Diocletien_Vaux1.jpg

220px-IVLIANVS.gif

^

The last two great Roman Emperors. They were the last hope to turn back the tide and save Rome from the poison of Christianity which killed it and western civilization for 1500 years. Diocletian was seriously erroneous in not persecuting enough. I suppose that Julian is lucky to have been able to stay on even for as long as he did.

lollll nice save.

i am not even bothering to address dixie's nonsense. I can't handle the stupidity. He lives in a bubble.

Understood, but it still seems odd that if the universe is comprised of all the things which form life, we would see at least some inkling of some kind of life somewhere, or some evidence that life of some kind once existed. We don't even find microbial life on nearby bodies. I just find it difficult to believe that all the necessary elements just happened to coalesce at the right time and place, and life as we know it sprang forth. If it were simply a matter of elements falling into place, there should be some signs of life elsewhere, and if there is, we haven't found it. While we are indeed made up of elements found in the universe, the more we look out into the universe, the more we realize just how unique and special life is. With all our new age technology, the most powerful telescopes man has ever had, space probes and missions, all the energy and money devoted to space, and we have yet to discover any form of living thing on any other body.

Then we look to Earth, and we see a planet with a very complex atmosphere, each layer contributing to an environment which is fundamental to life, protecting us from radiation, insulating us from the cold of space or heat of the sun. We see a planet with an abundance of water, unfrozen because of our atmosphere and proximity to the sun. But still water becomes stagnant and can't support life, while our ocean has tides.... tides which are the result of a moon orbiting the planet. We have an abundance of green plant life and vegetation, but virtually anything in this species of life, requires 'seasons' to reproduce and flourish. We happen to have a wobble in our rotation, which creates seasons, which enables plants to cycle through their growth process. The more we dig into life on this planet, the more we find that it's remarkable, but the more we also find that it's not all that simple. Life does not exist here "just because" and no matter how much you try to sell me on that, I simply don't believe you.
OK.

If I responded to that I would be doing nothing but repeating what I've already said. His premises are that:

"If life exists elsewhere in the universe, we should've found it by now."

and

"Since I have clearly proven that there's not life elsewhere in the universe, the specialness of Earth indicates that there is a God."

Both of these are very wrong. Also, he justifies his arguments by making repeated assertions that he simply can't understand how the scientific account could be so. He's not even trying to obfuscate his argument from ignorance.

i am not even bothering to address dixie's nonsense. I can't handle the stupidity. He lives in a bubble.

We've barely looked. I have little doubt that there is (or at least was) some sort of extraterrestrial life in our solar system.

No....he lives in Alabama. :)

That would explain Elvis.

Laugh all you like... Science shows us nothing to indicate life as we know it is anything BUT remarkable and extraordinary. The more we study life on Earth, the more we explore the far reaches of space, the more we come to know that life on this planet is something very unique and special. To completely divorce yourself from any idea this might be the result of forces beyond your understanding, is the height of human arrogance, in my opinion. To proclaim that your science has somehow "proven" that there is no God, is beyond anything mortals can reason with, you will have to answer for your own conclusions, I prefer to keep my mind open to possibility.

Laugh all you like... Science shows us nothing to indicate life as we know it is anything BUT remarkable and extraordinary. The more we study life on Earth, the more we explore the far reaches of space, the more we come to know that life on this planet is something very unique and special. To completely divorce yourself from any idea this might be the result of forces beyond your understanding, is the height of human arrogance, in my opinion. To proclaim that your science has somehow "proven" that there is no God, is beyond anything mortals can reason with, you will have to answer for your own conclusions, I prefer to keep my mind open to possibility.
No one is arguing that point with you Dixie. I'm very open minded to this possibility. It just isn't science is our point. The wonders of God's uiverse are indeed amazing to behold. That doesn't change the age old ground rule of science which prohibits us from invoking supernatural causation.

Your mind is open so far that your brains have fallen out, owd chum.

Back