The anything, but Amazon, and Goodreads discussion.

What is called Horse Chestnuts look like Buckeyes,but seem to be more of a European tree.
Most famous is the Horse Chestnut tree outside Anne Frank's window that she wrote about in her diary!

This has nothing to do with Anne Frank. What you call buckeyes, others call chestnuts. I understand that buckeyes are are an important cultural thing to Ohioans, but look at your own map.

What is called Horse Chestnuts look like Buckeyes,but seem to be more of a European tree.
Most famous is the Horse Chestnut tree outside Anne Frank's window that she wrote about in her diary!

You're right; the chestnuts sold in stores around Christmas time are from Europe.

This has nothing to do with Anne Frank. What you call buckeyes, others call chestnuts. I understand that buckeyes are are an important cultural thing to Ohioans, but look at your own map.

Chestnuts trees are very different than Buckeyes!Its Horse Chestnuts that are very similar!
Anne Frank had a Horse Chestnut tree outside the window of their hideout in the Secret Annex

How large of an area do you need to plant them? I am really happy how last year's fall-planted onions did, so have new ones plus garlic on order to plant this fall.

Some grow them in containers. They are like a bunching green onion and you harvest the bulbs from the top of the plant. Supposed to be like a pungent Shallot favor. If you don't harvest, the shoot falls over, the bulb breaks off, and it eventually forms a new plant. You leave the mother plant in the ground and it multiplies as well which you can then divide. They are like a forever onion of sorts. I always plant green onions in the fall and the spring. The falls ones that overwinter eventually go to seed. I like to eat the scapes on them as well.

Some grow them in containers. They are like a bunching green onion and you harvest the bulbs from the top of the plant. Supposed to be like a pungent Shallot favor. If you don't harvest, the shoot falls over, the bulb breaks off, and it eventually forms a new plant. You leave the mother plant in the ground and it multiplies as well which you can then divide. They are like a forever onion of sorts. I always plant green onions in the fall and the spring. The falls ones that overwinter eventually go to seed. I like to eat the scapes on them as well.

I'll have to try those. They seem to be one of the few edible-for-humans things I can grow outside of the garden fence w/o the deer eating them. They also don't bother the perennial herbs but the annuals get chomped.

I got the map from your reference!
Bottom line,Buckeye,Chestnut,Horse Chestnut,are three different trees.

Exactly. And the buckeyes he claims live in the UP are, according to that link, something transplanted there.... and only in that one location. "Southern Michigan is at the northern edge of the range of this species. The Upper Peninsula record was spread from plantings."

They are not the same species, as you said... twice. What's the whole point of claiming that they are? Sheesh.

Exactly. And the buckeyes he claims live in the UP are, according to that link, something transplanted there.... and only in that one location. "Southern Michigan is at the northern edge of the range of this species. The Upper Peninsula record was spread from plantings."

They are not the same species, as you said... twice. What's the whole point of claiming that they are? Sheesh.

He thinks Buckeyes and Horse Chestnuts are one and the same,they are very similar ,but not the same tree!
Chestnuts aren't remotely the same as either of the other two.

I'll have to try those. They seem to be one of the few edible-for-humans things I can grow outside of the garden fence w/o the deer eating them. They also don't bother the perennial herbs but the annuals get chomped.

Deer never bother my asparagus beds or eggplants. They have been known to pull up hot peppers and drop them when they are first planted, but ignore them once they are established. A lot of it is timing. There are a lot of things the deer seem to not other as long as there are other foods, but then will go after once the heat sets in. They usually don't touch my zuchinni until it is getting warm and humid, and even then, they just eat the leafy parts which is not necessarily fatal to the plants.

He thinks Buckeyes and Horse Chestnuts are one and the same,they are very similar ,but not the same tree!
Chestnuts aren't remotely the same as either of the other two.

Buckeyes are sometimes called white chestnuts, but they are not the same. They are in the same family as rambutan I believe.

Back