The General Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you need recipes for pierogies or borscht, I hear I'm your go to girl;)

Why would I want recipes from Eastern Europe? I have tried borscht and it sucked. Give me German, Italian, Chinese, Greek, American, or TexMex food any day.

Why would I want recipes from Eastern Europe? I have tried borscht and it sucked. Give me German, Italian, Chinese, Greek, American, or TexMex food any day.
LOL..I'm a "Russian bot", didn't you know?
Actually the pierogie recipes are from my old neighborhood..they're delicious... We Love roasted or pickled beets/eggs...don't reaally make borscht, though...
Now I'm in the mood for German...think it's going to be a spaetzle and pot roast making day...

LOL..I'm a "Russian bot", didn't you know?
Actually the pierogie recipes are from my old neighborhood..they're delicious... We Love roasted or pickled beets/eggs...don't reaally make borscht, though...
Now I'm in the mood for German...think it's going to be a spaetzle and pot roast making day...

Nein! jaeger schnitzel mit spaetzli oder Kartoffelpfannkuchen.

Gut, danke, die Klimaanlage läuft

Good grief! Your electric bills must hurt.

Speaking of food, is rouladen something served in Deutschland? We had a nice German restaurant back in STL that occasionally served it and I always wondered if it was an actual authentic dish, or something Americanized.

Good grief! Your electric bills must hurt.

Speaking of food, is rouladen something served in Deutschland? We had a nice German restaurant back in STL that occasionally served it and I always wondered if it was an actual authentic dish, or something Americanized.

Yes and we love it. The thing that got us was it was almost cheaper to eat out than cook at home.

Yes and we love it. The thing that got us was it was almost cheaper to eat out than cook at home.

We had been wondering about that eating out vs cooking. We watch that "International House Hunters" on HGTV. Ppl move to a different country and the camera follows them around as they try to find a new abode. The kitchens in both Europe and Asian apartments are often very tiny, lack ovens, and often just have two burners on the cooktop. Plus the fridges are often very tiny by our standards. We weren't sure if that's because most ppl don't bother cooking, or whether power is so expensive they have smaller appliances, or what.

I've been making rouladen for 50 years now. Got the recipe from my German teacher's wife who served it at progressive dinners. Love it! It's my favorite German dish actually. How do you guys make yours?

We had been wondering about that eating out vs cooking. We watch that "International House Hunters" on HGTV. Ppl move to a different country and the camera follows them around as they try to find a new abode. The kitchens in both Europe and Asian apartments are often very tiny, lack ovens, and often just have two burners on the cooktop. Plus the fridges are often very tiny by our standards. We weren't sure if that's because most ppl don't bother cooking, or whether power is so expensive they have smaller appliances, or what.

I've been making rouladen for 50 years now. Got the recipe from my German teacher's wife who served it at progressive dinners. Love it! It's my favorite German dish actually. How do you guys make yours?

I believe Appliances are taxed by size or power usage, and most Europeans shop daily. I can't say about meal prep that is the Brides dept.

If you knew it was a German dish why did you ask me if it was?

Because I wasn't sure if it was authentic or an American version. Like chop suey isn't eaten in China, only here.

Oh, I was confused when you said your German teacher's wife gave you the recipe.
Oh another thing you should see are some of the local fests. That is where you.see the real Germany.

Oh, I was confused when you said your German teacher's wife gave you the recipe.
Oh another thing you should see are some of the local fests. That is where you.see the real Germany.

No problem.

Good advice... thanks! Are they held at certain times of year, like Oktoberfest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back