The General Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
We like jaeger schnitzel and potato pancakes. And no one can live without bratwurst in a hard roll with red cabbage, or brats in sauerkraut.

Apparently Mr. Owl has managed for some decades now to exist w/o anything to do with kraut. lol He does love the meat dishes in German cuisine, as well as the latkes, spaetzle, etc. Just no to the pickled beets and kraut stuff. I've never made jaeger schnitzel -- will put that on the list to at least try, if not master. Does Mrs. Eye make marzipan candies too?

"Although some sources posit a Cantonese dish as the true origin of chop suey, others note that what is called “chop suey” in the U.S. is virtually unknown in China and bears little resemblance to its supposed progenitor — so much so that, as Grace Zia Chu, cookbook author and teacher of Chinese cooking, wrote in The Pleasure of Chinese Cooking, when she was riding in Shanghai after World War II she spotted a neon sign that read: “Genuine American Chop Suey Served Here.”"

Heh, that was cute.

Had a coworker once who adopted a child from China. They had to go over there in person, of course, and spent several weeks while doing administrative paperwork and other required things. She said the food that they ate was *nothing* like what we get here. Plus the food markets had skinned whole snakes hanging down to choose from, skinned mammals that she thought might be cats or dogs, and other bizarre things. Tentacled things. Where they stayed was a rural part of southern China where outsiders were rare. She said they finally got so that they would take food back to their room to eat because crowds would gather around them in restaurants and just stare at them. The orphanage served them dinner one night, a "feast." It was mostly cabbage with just a bit of some sort of meat in it; they were desperately poor. Their child was eight months old when they brought her home. She couldn't even sit up by herself and weighed about half of what a typical American child that age would weigh.

We don't appreciate how very lucky we are to have been born here.

Apparently Mr. Owl has managed for some decades now to exist w/o anything to do with kraut. lol He does love the meat dishes in German cuisine, as well as the latkes, spaetzle, etc. Just no to the pickled beets and kraut stuff. I've never made jaeger schnitzel -- will put that on the list to at least try, if not master. Does Mrs. Eye make marzipan candies too?

She doesn't cook that much anymore with just the two of us it isn't worth making big meals as we don't eat that much at a sitting. Old age we used to tell mom you don't eat enough and now here we are doing the same. LOL

She doesn't cook that much anymore with just the two of us it isn't worth making big meals as we don't eat that much at a sitting. Old age we used to tell mom you don't eat enough and now here we are doing the same. LOL

Heheheh... yeah. We are the same here. It's pretty difficult to go from cooking for six to just two. But it works out okay -- that big batch of spaghetti sauce makes several meals. I can freeze meals-for-two out of leftover roast, BBQ, roast chicken, casseroles, etc. It's kind of nice to have ready-made meals in the freezer for busy days/evenings.

Heheheh... yeah. We are the same here. It's pretty difficult to go from cooking for six to just two. But it works out okay -- that big batch of spaghetti sauce makes several meals. I can freeze meals-for-two out of leftover roast, BBQ, roast chicken, casseroles, etc. It's kind of nice to have ready-made meals in the freezer for busy days/evenings.

We do the same.

Cheer up, it's a miserable cold and very windy day up here today. And I still haven't got my car fixed yet :mad:

Now I really feel bad. :( I'm running my AC to stay cool after fixing my utility trailer. Just have to go get a tag my old one is on the side of the road somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back