The General Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owl
Was this your wedding?

Well, it was in a church so no. lol How awesome though!

ETA: Thought I had an owl pic around with a white owl (barn owl though, not a snowy owl like in the video). This was at the bird sanctuary in STL where I used to volunteer. He would fly from one handler to another, as long as you gave him a bit of food for a reward.

fhz2KL1.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning Top and all. Cold snap coming our way time to turn on the heater again. I wish you northern type people would not share your misery. LOL

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr=here comes the snow....the dogs are ecstatic!!!! The rest of us...not so much...lol;)

Making Kartoffelsuppe and baking the rest of sweet potato and pecan pies for tomorrow....the perfect blend of culture and traditions...;)

Here Is a good southern soup dish good for Diabetics that should avoid potatoes.

Sausage and Sweet Potato Soup
with Black-eyed Peas
From the Kitchen of Deep South Dish
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 cup of chopped onion
1/2 cup of chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup of chopped celery
1/2 pound of andouille or other spicy smoked sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
2 cups of beef stock or broth
1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can of black-eyed peas, undrained
1 cup of tomato juice or V-8
1/4 of a small head of cabbage, sliced (about 1-1/2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
5 turns of the pepper grinder
Heat the oil in a soup pot or 4 to 6 quart Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the onion, bell
pepper and celery; saute for about 4 minutes. Add the sausage and cook another 3 minutes,
then add the sweet potatoes. Add the beef stock, Rotel, black-eyed peas, tomato juice,
cabbage, salt and pepper; stir, bring up to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 to 25
minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
About 6 servings
~Cook’s Notes~
I used Conecuh sausage and Rotel diced tomatoes, making this a fairly spicy soup. If you prefer
a milder version, simply substitute one can of regular diced tomatoes, undrained, in place of the
Rotel and use a milder smoked sausage.
Source: http://deepsouthdish.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back