The General Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here Is a good southern soup dish good for Diabetics that should avoid potatoes.

Sausage and Sweet Potato Soup
with Black-eyed Peas
From the Kitchen of Deep South Dish
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 cup of chopped onion
1/2 cup of chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup of chopped celery
1/2 pound of andouille or other spicy smoked sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
2 cups of beef stock or broth
1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can of black-eyed peas, undrained
1 cup of tomato juice or V-8
1/4 of a small head of cabbage, sliced (about 1-1/2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
5 turns of the pepper grinder
Heat the oil in a soup pot or 4 to 6 quart Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the onion, bell
pepper and celery; saute for about 4 minutes. Add the sausage and cook another 3 minutes,
then add the sweet potatoes. Add the beef stock, Rotel, black-eyed peas, tomato juice,
cabbage, salt and pepper; stir, bring up to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 to 25
minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
About 6 servings
~Cook’s Notes~
I used Conecuh sausage and Rotel diced tomatoes, making this a fairly spicy soup. If you prefer
a milder version, simply substitute one can of regular diced tomatoes, undrained, in place of the
Rotel and use a milder smoked sausage.
Source: http://deepsouthdish.com
Good timing;) The spicier, the better;)

Good morning last cold day should start warming up.

Oh forgot we made the sweet potato soup last night it came out great had just a little kick.

Good morning last cold day should start warming up.

Oh forgot we made the sweet potato soup last night it came out great had just a little kick.
Yep...little warm up here too...thankfully...
Sounds delicious....I'll keep that soup in mind...right now we're sweet potatoed out....lol

Yep...little warm up here too...thankfully...
Sounds delicious....I'll keep that soup in mind...right now we're sweet potatoed out....lol

Oh no!! From Idaho!! Where the climate (according to domer), is ALWAYS pleasant....:laugh:

Going to the barber today. Almost got arrested yesterday, neighbors reported seeing Big Foot in my yard.
Do you still have the good old timey classic barber shops there? They are the best;) I think one of the ones here is almost 100:)

Do you still have the good old timey classic barber shops there? They are the best;) I think one of the ones here is almost 100:)

My shop has 3 chairs and is right out of Mayberry. The difference is two of the barbers are women. I pay $20 for a haircut and beard trim including tip. Hell they even put a hot towel on your neck.

My shop has 3 chairs and is right out of Mayberry. The difference is two of the barbers are women. I pay $20 for a haircut and beard trim including tip. Hell they even put a hot towel on your neck.

Does it always have the same staff? I need to find Mr. Owl one of those barbers. He goes to a local one that has TVs tuned to sports in front of every chair. The quality of haircut seems really dependent on who you get, and if she's watching the TV, apparently. He has lovely thick dark hair and a cowlick, which seems to enrage them. He often comes home with a near-bald spot where his cowlick is. :laugh:

Does it always have the same staff? I need to find Mr. Owl one of those barbers. He goes to a local one that has TVs tuned to sports in front of every chair. The quality of haircut seems really dependent on who you get, and if she's watching the TV, apparently. He has lovely thick dark hair and a cowlick, which seems to enrage them. He often comes home with a near-bald spot where his cowlick is. :laugh:

Yea the same 3 but I haven't seen the guy for awhile he might have retired. The one lady I always take because she has cut my hair so long she doesn't need to ask how I want it.

Yea the same 3 but I haven't seen the guy for awhile he might have retired. The one lady I always take because she has cut my hair so long she doesn't need to ask how I want it.
One of my former students still has a little shop right by school...he used to cut hair in the back of our classroom...the basketball team always looked great!So long ago....
Friends and family still get the student discount, though...;)

Good morning. Got our new sofa and loveseat yesterday. We got the best price at AAFEES on line. Well the love seat was damaged in shipment, now I have to go thru the hassle of ordering a replacement and waiting for it to arrive. The good thing is it is still useable and I can do a temp fix. Even though we saved a lot of money it wasn't worth it. I paid extra to have the old furniture moved and the new furniture setup, the delivery people said all they were supposed to do was put it in the front room. Needless to say I'm not a happy camper. And I plan on letting AAFEES management know it. At a minimum I will never buy from the BX on line again. Another of my benefits that is next to useless.

Good morning. Got our new sofa and loveseat yesterday. We got the best price at AAFEES on line. Well the love seat was damaged in shipment, now I have to go thru the hassle of ordering a replacement and waiting for it to arrive. The good thing is it is still useable and I can do a temp fix. Even though we saved a lot of money it wasn't worth it. I paid extra to have the old furniture moved and the new furniture setup, the delivery people said all they were supposed to do was put it in the front room. Needless to say I'm not a happy camper. And I plan on letting AAFEES management know it. At a minimum I will never buy from the BX on line again. Another of my benefits that is next to useless.
That's too bad...keep on them until they make it right....Including the fee for the set up.
It's sad that people just can't seem to take pride in what's done these days....it's like that just about everywhere, I'm afraid....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back