The General Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allergies are usually really bad here as we have so much variety growing in the area but sadly many of those suffers are afraid ppl will mistake them for having the virus..

Yep, I have allergies. I was in the grocery store the other day, and got a little tickle in my throat. I was like, oh no, I didn't want to start coughing and freak people out. This whole situation sucks.

How you holding up Bill? Got all the supplies you need?

No worries. If you wanted me to know you wouldn't send me to search through over 2400 posts looking for your supposed answers. If you wanted me to know you'd have simply given a short sentence like mine.

Yes, CAP. I'm retired military but tried to go back in after 9/11. They didn't need old senior guys so I wasn't accepted. President Bush asked for Americans to volunteer and do what they could. My then-wife was a budding pilot and I'm retired military pilot, so we both joined a local CAP unit. There are about six of them in the DFW Metroplex. We were with them for about 8 years then work and life got in the way. I'd like to go back as soon as I resolve some minor medical issues.

Thanks for your service. You and I were in the same boat I volunteered to go back on active duty but they didn't need old retired NCOs.

I've been reading that too, and trying to puzzle out how -- if true -- it could be effective. Malaria is caused by a parasite; quinine interrupts part of its life cycle. Quinine also comes with some pretty horrendous side effects. I hope that ppl don't start hoarding tonic water and ODing themselves in a desperate attempt to stay healthy.

Two days after the treatment guideline update, health authorities in Hubei province -- China’s worst-hit region where the outbreak started and which accounted for majority of its over 80,000 patients -- asked hospitals to closely watch for, and immediately report, any adverse side effects of chloroquine phosphate, according to a report in local media outlet The Paper.

The drug is known to have short-term side effects such as nausea, diarrhea and tinnitus while long-term use can irreversibly impair eyesight. It’s forbidden for pregnant women as it can cause congenital defects in babies.

China Health Commission revised the dosage in a Feb. 29 notice tightening chloroquine use. The drug cannot be given to pregnant women, those with heart disease, terminal liver and renal disease, retina and hearing loss and patients on antibiotics such as azithromycin and steroid.

It can now be given only to patients between 18 to 65 years of age for a seven-day treatment course. Patients weighing over 50 kilograms (110 pounds) can take 500mg twice a day -- the usual dose -- while those weighing less will be administered the drug just once a day after two days of use, according to the latest guidelines.

A woman in Wuhan proved how lethal chloroquine can be when it’s taken beyond the recommended dose. On Feb. 25, Shanghai-based The Paper reported that she took 1.8 grams of the drug she ordered online after suspecting she had the coronavirus. She did not, but the drug caused her to develop malignant cardiac arrhythmic, which can cause sudden death, and she was admitted to the intensive care unit.

Allergies are usually really bad here as we have so much variety growing in the area but sadly many of those suffers are afraid ppl will mistake them for having the virus..
Our white oak pollen is horrible, it did rain yesterday, which helped, before that, it looked like green snow.

Two days after the treatment guideline update, health authorities in Hubei province -- China’s worst-hit region where the outbreak started and which accounted for majority of its over 80,000 patients -- asked hospitals to closely watch for, and immediately report, any adverse side effects of chloroquine phosphate, according to a report in local media outlet The Paper.

The drug is known to have short-term side effects such as nausea, diarrhea and tinnitus while long-term use can irreversibly impair eyesight. It’s forbidden for pregnant women as it can cause congenital defects in babies.

China Health Commission revised the dosage in a Feb. 29 notice tightening chloroquine use. The drug cannot be given to pregnant women, those with heart disease, terminal liver and renal disease, retina and hearing loss and patients on antibiotics such as azithromycin and steroid.

It can now be given only to patients between 18 to 65 years of age for a seven-day treatment course. Patients weighing over 50 kilograms (110 pounds) can take 500mg twice a day -- the usual dose -- while those weighing less will be administered the drug just once a day after two days of use, according to the latest guidelines.

A woman in Wuhan proved how lethal chloroquine can be when it’s taken beyond the recommended dose. On Feb. 25, Shanghai-based The Paper reported that she took 1.8 grams of the drug she ordered online after suspecting she had the coronavirus. She did not, but the drug caused her to develop malignant cardiac arrhythmic, which can cause sudden death, and she was admitted to the intensive care unit.

It can also cause blood disorders like thrombocytopenia and anemia, along with the arrhythmias you mentioned. Apparently it's also been used for leg cramps.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/quinine-side-effects.html

pI7YFG2.jpg

:laugh:

Yep, I have allergies. I was in the grocery store the other day, and got a little tickle in my throat. I was like, oh no, I didn't want to start coughing and freak people out. This whole situation sucks.

Doing ok, I got a cold, first time in about 8 years but awesome other than that... & yea, if I start to cough I leave the area.. & if anyone sees me I make sure to let them witness the application of sanitizer etc..

We are finally getting some rain-miracle March again so prob no hiking this week coming up :(

Our white oak pollen is horrible, it did rain yesterday, which helped, before that, it looked like green snow.

yea, I recall that back there... In the area I live they planted these pine trees & you can see the green clouds coming out w a slight breeze..

I don't really have allergies but some times there is just so much pollen you are practically just choking on it..

Stay safe & hopefully they are right about the heat & humidity, one thing "ya'll" won't have a shortage of pretty soon..lol

Last edited:
yea, I recall that back there... In the area I live they planted these pine trees & you can see the green clouds coming out w a slight breeze..

I don't really have allergies but some times there is just so much pollen you are practically just chocking on it..

Stay safe & hopefully they are right about the heat & humidity, one thing "ya'll" won't have a shortage of pretty soon..lol
Hopefully, that will be a good combination to slow down the virus, let us regroup!

I have allergies too. Sometimes I get these sneezing fits, I'll sneeze 10-20 times, the throat tickle cough, and the packed sinuses to the point I can't breathe through my nose at night. I guess I'll have to avoid people! I told the GF she has to stay more than 6 feet away from me (she called me an ass). We pretty much have what we need, stores are still open to get what we might need later. All is well here, so far...

Thanks for your service. You and I were in the same boat I volunteered to go back on active duty but they didn't need old retired NCOs.

Thanks for your service. Sad they couldn't make good use of the wiser, more experienced retirees in some capacity.

I kicked a lot of jets in the air. Depending on what you flew, you might have flown one.

I was a Helo Bubba out of MCAS Tustin/MCAS Futenma but did a deployment for a month at Iwakuni when their SAR 46s broke down and they borrowed some of ours. Being they were station and we were wing, my squadron sent 3 HACs to go with the two birds. That was early 80s. Mid-80s the Marine Corps RIF'd 400 pilots including yours truly and being typical Marine Corps they told us "You can do something else in the Marine Corps, you can get out or you can fly Navy".
About 300 of us said "Anchors Aweigh, baby!". :) I flew ASW of aircraft carriers and later a T-34C flight instructor.

A very (shitter drivers) fly USAF and a couple went Army and Coast Guard. Others got out and went Secret Service, FBI and Customs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back