The General Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to like Gatorade and a few other drinks of the sort, but they give me gout. Everyone thinks that is strange, and it is, but it does and gout sucks!

I have had gout 2 1/2 times......... I can't think of any reason Gatorade could cause that.. I am sure you know the causes & prob analyzed ever bite once it hits you..

Part of the problem is some ppl are just more genetically prone to it..

That is one of the reasons I try to stay well hydrated(which I struggle to do) is keeping that uric acid flushing out...

As a kid I saw GOUT on cartoons but once you have it you know it is no laughing matter...

Good luck w/ it........... (the third time I count as only a half as when I noticed my foot-from the big toe to below the ball aching when I woke up, as if I stubbed it pretty hard, I immediately began forcing my self to drink water, close to a gallon.. By the next day I had no symptoms other than some residual soreness in that area which quickly dissipated)..

We used to dive off a bridge that was replaced, they said all the remains of the old bridge was removed...they weren't and I hit a piece of it knocking the wind out of me. I haven't been in the water since.

Wow, that must of been a real shocker... I have been rafting & kayaking & seen many huge chunks of cement & rebar left in the river from construction.. @ various flows they can be a real hazard..

Oh no! I can't drink beer for that reason. When I had my first two kids, it was back in the days of "natural" childbirth so there were no epidurals given. It hurt. A lot. Gout hurts just about as bad. Here's something about gout and certain beverages:

https://www.everydayhealth.com/gout...ur-gout-risk.aspx#energy-drinks-and-gout-risk

Yep, beer is actually one of the worst~very unfair :mad: Beer, shrimp but also many fruits, veggies, legumes etc have uric acid..

Although I have never tried it they say straight cherry juice will help a lot to flush it out...

Wow, that must of been a real shocker... I have been rafting & kayaking & seen many huge chunks of cement & rebar left in the river from construction.. @ various flows they can be a real hazard..
Diving off bridges is a very dangerous practice, unless you check the area for hazards. You have to check every time, you don’t know what the river has left behind! My dad drilled that into our heads, always check for hazards.

Not so well. We tried putting a mobile greenhouse over him didn't help very much. But I think I have found a place to move him to that will shade him from direct sunlight except for about an hour a day. Problem is moving him. I am going to try to load him in my truck I just hope the truck will fit where I want to move him to. He weighs about 2 or 3 hundred pounds.

Hope you have some strong assistance...

I have had gout 2 1/2 times......... I can't think of any reason Gatorade could cause that.. I am sure you know the causes & prob analyzed ever bite once it hits you..

Part of the problem is some ppl are just more genetically prone to it..

That is one of the reasons I try to stay well hydrated(which I struggle to do) is keeping that uric acid flushing out...

As a kid I saw GOUT on cartoons but once you have it you know it is no laughing matter...

Good luck w/ it........... (the third time I count as only a half as when I noticed my foot-from the big toe to below the ball aching when I woke up, as if I stubbed it pretty hard, I immediately began forcing my self to drink water, close to a gallon.. By the next day I had no symptoms other than some residual soreness in that area which quickly dissipated)..

Different things trigger it for different people. Believe it or not, in moderation, shrimp doesn't affect me. I've been pretty lucky lately. Season changes (spring/fall) bring it on but not as bad as it did years ago.
It used to last a week or more and I couldn't walk. Just bumping it was like hitting the big toe joint with a sledgehammer. It's extremely painful!

Yep, beer is actually one of the worst~very unfair :mad: Beer, shrimp but also many fruits, veggies, legumes etc have uric acid..

Although I have never tried it they say straight cherry juice will help a lot to flush it out...

Yes, beer is bad with gout. I tried cherry juice, it helped, but not much. Like I said, I've been lucky lately.

It was the deepest part between two piers, they claimed they cleaned it out. I found out they missed a chunk...the hard way.

Different things trigger it for different people. Believe it or not, in moderation, shrimp doesn't affect me. I've been pretty lucky lately. Season changes (spring/fall) bring it on but not as bad as it did years ago.
It used to last a week or more and I couldn't walk. Just bumping it was like hitting the big toe joint with a sledgehammer. It's extremely painful!

If I keep my fluids up I think I can pretty much eat whatever. I have not had a prob in a few years..

Good, I love shrimp to but it is suppose to be about the worst thing you can eat..

Yes, I recall tht sledgehammer..

On that half of one I stepped out of bed & almost fell over.. I literally hoped over to the bathroom sink & start chugging water...

I have a neighbor that gets it so bad his entire foot swells, looks like a Barney Rubble foot, no definition @ the ankle even..

He is a real dummy & has beer & wine every day, even when it flares up... In fact he thinks the red wine will help because it looks about the same color as cherry juice.........:palm: I told him the wine & beer was not helping~he won't talk to me any more....... Oh Well...lol

Yes, beer is bad with gout. I tried cherry juice, it helped, but not much. Like I said, I've been lucky lately.

Yea, I have not met anyone that swears by it.. IMHO the best thing is to flush it out w/ lots of liquids.. It is always present, it is only when there is a build up that gout flares up...

You don't need meds??

It was the deepest part between two piers, they claimed they cleaned it out. I found out they missed a chunk...the hard way.

Yep, sounds like you are lucky to be alive.. Hopefully the word got out so no one else got hurt or killed..

If I keep my fluids up I think I can pretty much eat whatever. I have not had a prob in a few years..

Good, I love shrimp to but it is suppose to be about the worst thing you can eat..

Yes, I recall tht sledgehammer..

On that half of one I stepped out of bed & almost fell over.. I literally hoped over to the bathroom sink & start chugging water...

I have a neighbor that gets it so bad his entire foot swells, looks like a Barney Rubble foot, no definition @ the ankle even..

He is a real dummy & has beer & wine every day, even when it flares up... In fact he thinks the red wine will help because it looks about the same color as cherry juice.........:palm: I told him the wine & beer was not helping~he won't talk to me any more....... Oh Well...lol

I love shrimp, and most seafood too. I only eat it in moderation and haven't had a problem.

I worked with a guy who got it really bad from shrimp, clams and beer. He'd take the week off after his Fire Co. clambake, he'd eat and drink until he couldn't walk!

Yea, I have not met anyone that swears by it.. IMHO the best thing is to flush it out w/ lots of liquids.. It is always present, it is only when there is a build up that gout flares up...

You don't need meds??

I usually do the same, drink lots of liquids.

I have 30mg. Oxycodone for pain from past surgeries and Neuropathy but I don't take them until I can't stand it. I get 20 about every 3-4 months.

Yep, sounds like you are lucky to be alive.. Hopefully the word got out so no one else got hurt or killed..

Yes, very lucky. You get disoriented when you hit (I hit the upper back and neck) and when you open your eyes to look for light, everything is green.
I told all my friends and they passed the word there was a piece of the old bridge there.

I love shrimp, and most seafood too. I only eat it in moderation and haven't had a problem.

I worked with a guy who got it really bad from shrimp, clams and beer. He'd take the week off after his Fire Co. clambake, he'd eat and drink until he couldn't walk!

lol, yea, something is wrong w/ some ppl.. You know what is gonna happen, why do it...lol

I have 30mg. Oxycodone for pain from past surgeries and Neuropathy but I don't take them until I can't stand it. I get 20 about every 3-4 months.

Sorry to hear you have that pain.. I have never taken that but I think many of those types of drugs can have some side effects, especially if you don't drink lots of liquids..

Yes, very lucky. You get disoriented when you hit (I hit the upper back and neck) and when you open your eyes to look for light, everything is green.
I told all my friends and they passed the word there was a piece of the old bridge there.

??You were upside down when you hit it??

I drink copious amts of water daily, so not sure why the beer did it, but it sure did. We had gotten a six pack of a local microbrew's dark ale. I had three over the course of three days. Woke up about 2am and felt as though my foot was on fire. Hobbled downstairs in agony, turned on the light, took one look at it and thought "Oh fuck, gout." Couldn't sleep the rest of the night. If I could've gotten back up the stairs I would've had Mr. Owl take me to the ER, it was that bad. Called Walgreens' Doc-on-the-Phone in the morning and got a script for indomethacin, an NSAID. Within two hours after the first dose the pain was gone. Got it again a couple weeks later, after having a dark beer at a restaurant with dinner. This time when the precursor aching started, I took the NSAID right off so it didn't get as bad. Haven't had a beer since, nor any gout. Oh yeah, I tried the cherry juice too, but it didn't do much.

I hope yours never comes back!!

You might ask your doc about giving you a script for indomethacin. It's an NSAID, non-opioid, and it knocks the gout pain out just like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back