The multiverse is real....

Inflation stopped in our universe, which causes elementary particles to freeze out of the scalar field.

But quantum fluctuations, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, probably means that inflation didn't stop everywhere, all at once, all at exactly
the same time. While our bubble universe froze out of the scalar field within our local conditions, the scalar field kept inflating elsewhere and spawning other big bangs and island universes.

so you posit that the laws of physics caused our universe to spawn but the laws of physics are not universal?......

No, I don't really care if they exist or not, and I don't even have an opinion.

Linguistically, all entities that exist,
including ours, somebody else's, and alternate ones,
are not themselves "universes" because
because universe means "everything."

It's not science.
It's not philosophy.

It's His Majesty the King's English Language.

We didn't opt to codify any of our Native American languages.
We chose English.

I'm far from perfect at it,
but I make an effort to use it as well as I can.
So you've chosen to disrupt, derail and distort a thread in which you have no opinion and no interest in order to prove your superiority in quoting a dictionary?

You're right, the multiverse is speculative.

But the standard Big Bang model has some serious problems that require explanation.

If you just ignored those problems, the theory would be incomplete. Inflation and the multiverse are ideas to explain those problems.

what happened prior to the commencement of our universe cannot be resolved by science.....science only deals with this universe......

I agree. The point, though, is to have at least one word that means what no other presently used word really means:
in this case, the total of all that presently exist, anywhere.

Even if we say "at this time,"
that time is in units determined by the simultaneous spinning and orbiting of one very specific planet around one very specific star.
Even if star and planet both cease to exist at some point, the units of time which they created still historically remain unchanged.
The time element isn't subject to discussion just because we know that we're using the concept of time
in such a highly restrictive manner. We know and understand what we're using.

No scientific principles are challenged by the concept of "everything,"
unless you choose to challenge the concept of everything itself,
in which case we couldn't communicate at all
because I see no complexity at all in the concept of "everything."

There should be no problem in having a word to mean everything that exists in any manner or form of existence.
Would it be better to have to say
"everything that exists in any manner or form of existence?"

I think the most pragmatic way to think of the word universe, the one that normal people you meet on the street probably agree upon, is everything created by the big bang 13.7 billion years ago. Meaning the stars and galaxies we can see, as well as the ones we can't.

I think the most pragmatic way to think of the word universe, the one that normal people you meet on the street probably agree upon, is everything created by the big bang 13.7 billion years ago. Meaning the stars and galaxies we can see, as well as the ones we can't.
I can agree with that.....

Actually, after significant thought, I found that particularly expletive to be especially suitable.
I went for brevity, but nevertheless, the recipient surely understood my response.

Of course you did. Like Trump and other egocentric people, you are never wrong.

???....yes it is.....
Nope.

GPS satellites have to be programed with time correction factors, because from our perspective on Earth's surface, time is moving slower for those satellites.

If we let those satellites just run on normal clock time experienced in our inertial frame of reference on Earth's surface, our triangulated GPS coordinates would be wildly off within days.

Back