## The Official Madmen Thread ##

I need to watch it again. I was distracted while watching it. Don is changing, I am not sure where he is headed though. I also thought the episode was pre occupied with death.

well.. of course.

the opening shot is of a dying man
sally's friend joking about her mother being dead
bobbys comment that the violin case looks like a coffin
Rogers mother dying/funeral
Don talking to the man asking him what it was like when he died
Don's ad campaign reminding others of suicide
All the talk of the first heart transplant.
Doctor having someones life in his hands

More to the point, it ties into one of the common main themes of the series which is the death of the old way of doing things. Roger is now at the point in his life where he's just "losing one thing after another" (I am paraphrasing but I think he said something to that effect). Don is talking to his creative department about anything to do with matrimony in advertising is paleolithic. The pre-occupation of death as you call it is important because the old guard is having an identity crisis. They are in their final death rattles for a day gone by. I don't think it's a coincidence that we had all the talk of the heart transplant stuff and the guy dying but coming back to life. And it's obviously appropriate we are at new years eve at season start which is obviously about turning over a new leaf and moving forward, and in large part leaving the past behind you. Don at the end of the episode says he wants to make a change and quit doing what he's doing (but we've heard all that before). So we'll see how that plays out. Anyway I am saying a lot of obvious boilerplate stuff but yeah.

I really liked last night's episode. I thought a lot happened in it. I loved Joan's burn of that jaguar guy, and trudy telling pete that if he unzipped his fly to urinate she would destroy him. Man Pete is such a moron he always gets caught in the most explosive ways. And he is really a much slimier version of Don, which, wow, think about that.

I loved the part where Don's new side piece lectures Megan on the morality of even thinking about abortion, a terrible thought sin for which Megan should be ashamed...while she is f'ing her husband!!! If that isn't just like a con woman, I don't know what is. Terrible sluts who shame and judge other women and then go f your husband without so much as a by-your-leave.

I can't wait to see what happens with Peggy, Stan, and Heinz!

I really liked last night's episode. I thought a lot happened in it. I loved Joan's burn of that jaguar guy, and trudy telling pete that if he unzipped his fly to urinate she would destroy him. Man Pete is such a moron he always gets caught in the most explosive ways. And he is really a much slimier version of Don, which, wow, think about that.

I loved the part where Don's new side piece lectures Megan on the morality of even thinking about abortion, a terrible thought sin for which Megan should be ashamed...while she is f'ing her husband!!! If that isn't just like a con woman, I don't know what is. Terrible sluts who shame and judge other women and then go f your husband without so much as a by-your-leave.

I can't wait to see what happens with Peggy, Stan, and Heinz!

I have to rewatch the episode. I was distracted and what are they trying to convey with all Don's ad lately, all of them lacking the product in the ad, foreshadowing about Don himself and him being Dick?

I loved Pete getting kicked out!

i wish you guys would stop hating on pete. It just blows my mind how you guys all hate on pete but are gaga over don draper even though he is just as worse as anyone else on the show.

You guys should really listen to the NPR interview with matthew weiner. It's really in depth on the narrative of the show, the themes, the character analysis, etc. One thing he touched upon is how he truly doesn't feel anyone is an "all bad" type of person on this show, that everyone has darkness inside of them, and he doesn't judge people for those things.

I am majorly sleep deprived right now so can't write out much more coherent stuff, but i'll keep checking in this thread when I am more rested :)

Link to the Matthew Weiner Interview: http://www.npr.org/2013/04/25/178832854/matthew-weiner-on-mad-men-and-meaning

i wish you guys would stop hating on pete. It just blows my mind how you guys all hate on pete but are gaga over don draper even though he is just as worse as anyone else on the show.

You guys should really listen to the NPR interview with matthew weiner. It's really in depth on the narrative of the show, the themes, the character analysis, etc. One thing he touched upon is how he truly doesn't feel anyone is an "all bad" type of person on this show, that everyone has darkness inside of them, and he doesn't judge people for those things.

I am majorly sleep deprived right now so can't write out much more coherent stuff, but i'll keep checking in this thread when I am more rested :)

Link to the Matthew Weiner Interview: http://www.npr.org/2013/04/25/178832854/matthew-weiner-on-mad-men-and-meaning

I know how dark Don is. I think he is handsome, but he is not to be trusted. I would not date him. I think he is actually pretty self centered. He only regrets the things he does in retrospect, but he does have his thoughtful moments, like how he feels for Joan.

I think Megan is okay, but, she is too vanilla for Don. I don't see them being an item for long.

I will check out Matt Weiner.

Actually Grind, this episode really took the shine off Don for me. Well, any shine he had, because he has always been a prick, but now, ech. I found that very highly uncomfortable to watch. It's an episode I won't rewatch and I always watch them twice. Jon Hamm is a great actor though, he gave me chills, he was very scary. When you think about the fact that he has not won the Emmy for this role it's absurd. I know he was up against Brian Cranston but they should have awarded it to Hamm at least once. And as someone who has seen every episode of Friday NIght LIghts and loved the show, no way Kyle Chandler should have ever beaten Hamm out.

Pete is hilariously insecure. He is a partner for god sakes and he is pissing his pants and having hissy fits of fear because he didn't have a chair. If you don't have a chair you don't have a job! LOL Ted really showed him up by demonstrating how a person confident of their worth and power acts in that situation.

I know how dark Don is. I think he is handsome, but he is not to be trusted. I would not date him. I think he is actually pretty self centered. He only regrets the things he does in retrospect, but he does have his thoughtful moments, like how he feels for Joan.

I think Megan is okay, but, she is too vanilla for Don. I don't see them being an item for long.

I will check out Matt Weiner.

I think everyone is too vanilla for Don though. He is pretty chocolate! If chocolate means dark, scary, and can turn on a dime. I hate people who can turn on a dime like that. I find them very uncomfortable to be around.

Okay so what did everybody think? I didn't really like this episode. I noticed over at the AV the reviewer didn't know wtf to say, so he said he liked it but a part of him hated it. That is how hipsters cover their butts. I kind of think that hipsters didn't get it/like it, but knew that older, unhip people wouldn't get it/like it, so in their neverending quest to be hip, they really didn't know whether to shit or wind their watches. So he came up with the perfect answer; I loved it I hated it. I mean, props for that.

I am waiting to see what happens the rest of the season, and then this episode might look different to me. But I was like, wtf?

And now we know that Don Draper was raped by a mother figure while still a virgin. So that explains all that shit. Grew up in a whorehouse, raped by a mother figure. This guy couldn't not be fucked up unless he had decades of psychotherapy, which we know he didn't.

giOntby.gif

I still have to watch...I don't watch it when Bud is in town, lol, he asks too many questions while I am watching it with him. I hate when someone oes that, so I reord it and etch it, later, lol. I am so bad!

Rana Spoiler Alert Don't Read:

I loved January Jones this week though. WHen she fired off that line about "what is it he tells people? he's working?" I LMAO. She did that so perfect, really nailed it. Now we know that she is 100% correct about Don and his "working late" bullcrap (since this show is so retro it really brings to mind that old line about slaving over a hot secretary all day). And it's interesting how Megan just rolls her eyes, because in fact, Betty knows exactly what Don is doing.

But she also said that Megan was on the casting couch. I am wondering if that's not foreshadowing and that Megan is indeed screwing around too.

And what about Hot Betty back and better than ever? I loved it! Using Don as a booty call and then going all Draper on him the next morning by having a happy breakfast with her husband and giving Don one knowing glance.

Back