## The Official Madmen Thread ##

Yeah, I think Betty is going to make trouble. She is super jealous of their lives together. She is jealous of their home, Megan's beauty and the relationship she has with Sally. Speaking of Sally, if my kids had ever talked to me, like she spoke to Megan, they would be collecting cobwebs in their room.

I'm looking forward to Sally's teenage rebellious stage. It's already starting.

Betty's pathetic. The typical beauty queen who was told all her life that she was beautiful, and now that she's fat and washed up, she has nothing because she never developed any character.

Betty's one of the best characters, though - her dysfunctional motherhood was so common in the early 60's - what a frustrating time to be an adult female.

I'm looking forward to Sally's teenage rebellious stage. It's already starting.

Betty's pathetic. The typical beauty queen who was told all her life that she was beautiful, and now that she's fat and washed up, she has nothing because she never developed any character.

Betty's one of the best characters, though - her dysfunctional motherhood was so common in the early 60's - what a frustrating time to be an adult female.

So true, it was after WWII, women were in the process of finding their identities, I have often said I am glad I came of age in the 70's!

So true, it was after WWII, women were in the process of finding their identities, I have often said I am glad I came of age in the 70's!

And their identities were all tied up with how they were valued by men. No wonder they all got strung out on Valium. :)

And their identities were all tied up with how they were valued by men. No wonder they all got strung out on Valium. :)

I know or buzzing on amphetamines. I remember a lot of my friends handing out their mother's "double cross" pills.

Plus, here's where they get it exactly right: Notice how Betty treats the kids? And Don, too, to an extent. They're treated as pets, objects. And bossed around. 'Go get this'. 'Do that'. My parents were the same way with us. We were like their little servants and something to show off to people. Having Betty relate to the kids in that monotone voice, ordering them around, etc. Very authentic for the early sixties.

I really don't think I like any of the characters in this show. And it offends me that bad things aren't happening to them.
I seem to be outside this cultural phenom so I have no idea what you're talking about....what show? My best guess is Mad Men....

It has been recommended to me...however, I lived it and it wasn't much fun the first time...LOL...I'll check it out on netflix...

pete campbell is most definitely worthy of the business. the show doesn't even try to hide the fact that pete excels at SCDP. It's one of the only things he's actually good at.

The problem is, he's unfulfilled. He thought that by getting into the position he has, he'd have it all. Happiness, respect, self-actualization.

Go watch this clip from season 1 to get insight into pete:

pete campbell is most definitely worthy of the business. the show doesn't even try to hide the fact that pete excels at SCDP. It's one of the only things he's actually good at.

The problem is, he's unfulfilled. He thought that by getting into the position he has, he'd have it all. Happiness, respect, self-actualization.

Go watch this clip from season 1 to get insight into pete:

I think that's right.

Back