## The Official Madmen Thread ##

you guys are misinterpreting dixie i think. if anything alabama would be more racist/sexist back then and now, so it is a good barometer for nationwide tests, albiet anecdotal.

You shitstains can rail on me all you like, hope you get your rocks off!

I just said, not ALL women in the workplace in the 60s were treated like empty-headed bimbos. I don't give a shit if you don't believe it, and I don't give a shit if you want to make fun of me giving a perfectly valid personal example. The truth remains, not all men treated women like the characters on Mad Men, and not all women were whorish sluts who were willing to sleep their way to success. The VAST MAJORITY of working women, did not have that experience.

you guys are misinterpreting dixie i think. if anything alabama would be more racist/sexist back then and now, so it is a good barometer for nationwide tests, albiet anecdotal.

Mad Men is not a good barometer of average middle class America in the 60s. It is full of stereotypes, in fact, almost the entire premise of the show, is based in a series of stereotypes. This is done intentionally, to be "evocative" and appeal to the masses, and it works. We are entertained by it. This doesn't mean it was a true depiction of life in the 60s, by any stretch. I am a big fan of the show, but I am a romanticist for the 60s, I fell in love with the movie Goodfellas, because of that black '65 Impala Henry leans on... which was supposed to be outside "Idlewild Airport in 1963" according to the film... it didn't matter to me, I liked the look of that car and the feel of that movie's portrayal of the 60s. It wasn't realistic, it was exaggerated, but I didn't care because I was entertained by it. The same applies to MadMen, I can appreciate it for the look and feel, how it flows and the story lines, even through all the painful liberal stereotypes, I am still entertained by it.

One thing I am interested in seeing how they deal with this season, is the effects of Civil Rights, as most of the anti-discrimination laws had been established by the year they are supposed to be in, and if the show stays true to its 'stereotypical' form, we should see a new young black 'executive' (or maybe an 'artist') emerge, and then Roger and Don will have to be portrayed as the bigots who made a fortune off of his ideas or talent, while dangling carrots that he would simply never get. You can almost see that coming. The proverbial "token" as it were.

Power is an aphrodisiac and the sixties was a time of sexual liberation for women...that doesn't make them whores. Nor does it mean they were sleeping their way to the top. Believe it or not that same kind of slander can be found in offices today. This is a show about very rich, powerful people in New York during the 60's and they have nailed it from sets, music, news clips and attitudes....right down to what things cost and how much people made. It's been great for bringing back memories. I'm looking forward to seeing more about the conflict brought about by the Vietnam war, women's lib and civil rights. I found it interesting at the time that civil rights were acknowledged for blacks but women's rights were looked down on...it's still happening for both women and people of color to this day. While we don't see the wild and crazy office parties and fewer people smoke...much of the culture is in tact in my view.

One of the things I like about this show is the fact that all the characters are flawed human beings and we see them at both their best and worst. They're human.

I just don't understand why he didn't go to Don and tell him about it. Don would have loaned him the money. Now he has made a huge mess and will end up out of job and maybe in jail.

That guy's pride will be his undoing. He's supposed to be the smart-money man there. No way is he going to humble himself to Draper and then have to explain why he needed the money. No way.

I read on some blog that this season is synchronous with the Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's" album (so, each episode corresponds to a track on that record thematically). Has anyone else heard that? I haven't had a chance to really sit down & compare yet, but if so, that would be really interesting.

And yeah - poor Lane. I really felt for his desperation in that episode. And since I'm finally posting on this thread, didn't anyone else find it really strange that Lakshmi from the Krishna's thought it would be a good idea strategically to have sex w/ Harry?

I read on some blog that this season is synchronous with the Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's" album (so, each episode corresponds to a track on that record thematically). Has anyone else heard that? I haven't had a chance to really sit down & compare yet, but if so, that would be really interesting.

And yeah - poor Lane. I really felt for his desperation in that episode. And since I'm finally posting on this thread, didn't anyone else find it really strange that Lakshmi from the Krishna's thought it would be a good idea strategically to have sex w/ Harry?

No I haven't read that, and I'm a Rolling Stones girl so I am not very familiar with Sgt Peppers. That would be very interesting though. If it's true more will be written about it once the season ends I'm sure.

Yes, I thought that was a really weird story line!

Ah, Lakshmi! That whole Krishna scene was funny, how neither Lakshmi nor Paul were really true followers, just there because their real lives sucked so bad.

I just don't understand why he didn't go to Don and tell him about it. Don would have loaned him the money. Now he has made a huge mess and will end up out of job and maybe in jail.

i think his uppity britishness and pride. plus he's the firm finance guy. how does it look when he apparently can't keep his own finances in line? especially after already being called useless by pete?

Power is an aphrodisiac and the sixties was a time of sexual liberation for women...that doesn't make them whores. Nor does it mean they were sleeping their way to the top. Believe it or not that same kind of slander can be found in offices today. This is a show about very rich, powerful people in New York during the 60's and they have nailed it from sets, music, news clips and attitudes....right down to what things cost and how much people made. It's been great for bringing back memories. I'm looking forward to seeing more about the conflict brought about by the Vietnam war, women's lib and civil rights. I found it interesting at the time that civil rights were acknowledged for blacks but women's rights were looked down on...it's still happening for both women and people of color to this day. While we don't see the wild and crazy office parties and fewer people smoke...much of the culture is in tact in my view.

One of the things I like about this show is the fact that all the characters are flawed human beings and we see them at both their best and worst. They're human.

Wow, yes, want to play Werewolf ;)

i think his uppity britishness and pride. plus he's the firm finance guy. how does it look when he apparently can't keep his own finances in line? especially after already being called useless by pete?

That's true...I didn't even think of that.

Did you love that airplane line or what?

You shitstains can rail on me all you like, hope you get your rocks off!

I just said, not ALL women in the workplace in the 60s were treated like empty-headed bimbos. I don't give a shit if you don't believe it, and I don't give a shit if you want to make fun of me giving a perfectly valid personal example. The truth remains, not all men treated women like the characters on Mad Men, and not all women were whorish sluts who were willing to sleep their way to success. The VAST MAJORITY of working women, did not have that experience.

Bullshit, it was still an issue in the 70's, it wasnt as bad because women starting standing up for themselves. I was hit on by every boss I ever had. You don't have the majority of women here to get a bead on. Women didn't talk about it, it was an accepted fact of life. If you complained, you lost your job or you were hounded till you quit. It wasn't till the first successful lawsuit that things changed for women.

Last edited:
Back