The Official Round II Debate thread

Apparently Sol gives better head.
I am kind of shacking my head in disbelief. I thought I did a pretty good job of lining up my ducks but I was handicapped by having the more unpopular position to defend. Go figure? Oh well, hat's off to Winter, he knocked of the defending (by proxy) champ. I would think that would make him now the defacto front runner?

I am kind of shacking my head in disbelief. I thought I did a pretty good job of lining up my ducks but I was handicapped by having the more unpopular position to defend. Go figure? Oh well, hat's off to Winter, he knocked of the defending (by proxy) champ. I would think that would make him now the defacto front runner?

You DID do an excellent job lining up your ducks. When I read your OP I thought "Oh shit, Mott is serious".

As for the unpopular side, I don't think arguing to allow "Gay Chickens and their Bukkake Parties" in a public library is exactly popular. (the gay chicken bukkake line may be the best line in the debates so far)

I thought it was an excellent debate.

You DID do an excellent job lining up your ducks. When I read your OP I thought "Oh shit, Mott is serious".

As for the unpopular side, I don't think arguing to allow "Gay Chickens and their Bukkake Parties" in a public library is exactly popular. (the gay chicken bukkake line may be the best line in the debates so far)

I thought it was an excellent debate.
I enjoyed it :)

It may have been that smart ass line that cost me though! LOL

We have seen that the popularity of the argument colors the judges decisions.

We have seen that the popularity of the argument colors the judges decisions.

i think anyone that has the "more popular" position to defend may have a slight advantage because they have more to work with and more maneuverability, but as far as I am concerned I am looking how well someones position is articulated, how well they present their argument, and occasionally I'll analyze if I think the approach for an opening or whatever sets them up well further in the debate.

There have already been a few debates where I would see the side of an argument I agree with scattered and all over the place. I would be looking at a rebuttal or something and think "What the fuck is this?" trying to pull some substance out of it. I know intuitively that somewhere in the mangled mess of words I could find something I might agree with but overall it's a bad argument, and that would be reflected in my judgment.

So yeah, having the "popular" side of the debate might give you a slight advantage to start, but you can't just ride the coattails of a popular opinion and expect to win, at least not with me

i think anyone that has the "more popular" position to defend may have a slight advantage because they have more to work with and more maneuverability, but as far as I am concerned I am looking how well someones position is articulated, how well they present their argument, and occasionally I'll analyze if I think the approach for an opening or whatever sets them up well further in the debate.

There have already been a few debates where I would see the side of an argument I agree with scattered and all over the place. I would be looking at a rebuttal or something and think "What the fuck is this?" trying to pull some substance out of it. I know intuitively that somewhere in the mangled mess of words I could find something I might agree with but overall it's a bad argument, and that would be reflected in my judgment.

So yeah, having the "popular" side of the debate might give you a slight advantage to start, but you can't just ride the coattails of a popular opinion and expect to win, at least not with me
How about a bribe then?

I'm not saying that it is the only factor, but there is little doubt that it is a deciding factor. My debate with USF shows me that a well written, unpopular argument can win over a popular but poorly thought out position. But I have no doubt that the debater with the less popular position must present a better argument to break even.

Back