APP - The quest for knowledge.

Can you tell me how many Swedes have come to America specifically for care? How many Finns? Danes? French? Germans? Brits? Swiss?
Any figures for anyone? There must be some info somewhere after all you say it's a true story.

Back in the '80's millionaires from the Middle East came here for organ transplants and there was an investigation because they were bumping others from the lists, due to the fact that they could pay hundreds of thousands without having to go through insurance paperwork. AHZ makes it sound like any old schmo just hopped a plane and got immediate care, when in truth is was basically the uber-rich who could do this.

Back in the '80's millionaires from the Middle East came here for organ transplants and there was an investigation because they were bumping others from the lists, due to the fact that they could pay hundreds of thousands without having to go through insurance paperwork. AHZ makes it sound like any old schmo just hopped a plane and got immediate care, when in truth is was basically the uber-rich who could do this.

But they came here. FOr the best. Get it?

I read the article. Here's an excerpt.
"It's driven some Canadians to private for-profit clinics. A new one opens somewhere in Canada almost every week. Although it's not clear that such private clinics are legal, one is run by the president of the Canadian Medical Association, Dr. Brian Day, because under government care, he says, "We found ourselves in a situation where we were seeing sick patients and weren't being allowed to treat them. That was something that we couldn't tolerate."

That guy should be writing for SNL. He wasn't allowed to treat them? What he was saying in a twisted way is the government wouldn't pay him. There was nothing stopping him from treating the patients he mentions. The only thing he couldn't tolerate is not getting extra work.

The government limits the number of patients a doctor can treat. Why? Because of the insatiable greed in the medical profession. Imagine having a job where, in order to get paid, you filed out a form with a person's name on it such as what happens with general practitioners or GPs or family doctors. Every aching muscle, every headache, every upset stomach, every "blah" feeling.....the point being there is a limit to how many patients a doctor can competently diagnose in a day, every day.

When a doctor writes he opened his own clinic because he couldn't treat patients and he couldn't tolerate that......well, let's just say Mother Theresa is no longer with us. Nuff said.

I read the article. Here's an excerpt.
"It's driven some Canadians to private for-profit clinics. A new one opens somewhere in Canada almost every week. Although it's not clear that such private clinics are legal, one is run by the president of the Canadian Medical Association, Dr. Brian Day, because under government care, he says, "We found ourselves in a situation where we were seeing sick patients and weren't being allowed to treat them. That was something that we couldn't tolerate."

That guy should be writing for SNL. He wasn't allowed to treat them? What he was saying in a twisted way is the government wouldn't pay him. There was nothing stopping him from treating the patients he mentions. The only thing he couldn't tolerate is not getting extra work.

The government limits the number of patients a doctor can treat. Why? Because of the insatiable greed in the medical profession. Imagine having a job where, in order to get paid, you filed out a form with a person's name on it such as what happens with general practitioners or GPs or family doctors. Every aching muscle, every headache, every upset stomach, every "blah" feeling.....the point being there is a limit to how many patients a doctor can competently diagnose in a day, every day.

When a doctor writes he opened his own clinic because he couldn't treat patients and he couldn't tolerate that......well, let's just say Mother Theresa is no longer with us. Nuff said.

Why would the government restrict the flow of goods and services? ESPECIALLY with healthcare. To kill people?

You disappoint me at times, it is the mother in me.

Do not fret, dear lady. LOWIQ was the original intention all those years ago.
Now who was it who said, 'He is a modest man with plenty to be modest about.'

Why would the government restrict the flow of goods and services? ESPECIALLY with healthcare. To kill people?

Not at all. Let's delve a bit deeper. Here is a true story. Names changed to protect the 'not so decent'.

"Mr. Smith" lives in a small town 30 miles from a large city. He is entitled to medical services the same way as any other resident of Canada. He contracts cancer and requires chemo treatments.

There is a small hospital in his town but it doesn't have the necessary chemo equipment so he has to go to the hospital in the city. He is pissed he has to pay for his gas to drive to town so he writes to the government, his local paper, contacts a TV reporter and the next thing you know the headlines on the 6 o'clock news is MAN DENIED MEDICAL TREATMENT.

The system in Canada is composed of private doctors. If a doctor does not want to work in a certain town then there is no doctor. Also, a private clinic would not set up a cancer center in Mr. Smith's town because not enough people in that town have cancer. Of course, none of that matters to a person like Mr. Smith, a person of either limited intelligence or unlimited greed. He pays taxes for universal medicare and, by God, he's not going to pay the gas to get it! Thankfully, the government politely told him to take a hike. I never saw a follow-up to the story but I assume Mr. Smith started to pay for his own gas. :)

Once, again, I ask, "How many times have you seen reports of citizens in foreign countries demonstrating for a return to a "pay or suffer" system?" Reporters will seek out the extraordinary case or, as with Mr. Smith, the absurd situation. Anything to attempt to discredit the government. As you can see Canada also has their wing nuts.

The chain.... not a be all end all, but a good start...

1) tort reform... put a cap on the punitive damages
2) end defensive medicine
3) reduced malpractice premiums due to tort reform
4) reduced hospital bills due to elimination of uneccesary tests used for CYA procedures
5) reduced individual premiums due to lower hospital bills

Second chain....

1) Eat better
2) Exercise more
3) Reducing obesity levels within US
4) Reduce individual premiums due to healthier population

Well, at long last. An actual opinion.
And, this may surprise you, I would not knock it. Certainly this whole legal thing that has now smeared its way into the UK and is probably destined for here (Lawyers are now permitted to advertise providing they obey certain rules. We still do not allow ambulance chasers.)
The second chain is common sense but, in fact, it is not that common. I met my personal monster earlier this year. I have not smoked since ... at all. I have cut extra sugar consumption from 70 - 80 gms per day to about 8. I eat more salads than all the rabbits on the South Downs and I walk at least 3 miles at least 4 times per week. Beer is reduced, red wine stays the same. BMI at about 24. And this is the nicest. People actually tell me, with no prompting, that I am looking great.
Oh, and just because I have been fairly positive about this doesnt mean I'm going to let you off the hook.

Back