The Tiki Room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen this commercial yet here in California, it's so very sweet.

Both of my parents were born deaf, me & my siblings were not.

Thank you for sharing!

Wow. No wonder you cherish music so much. Do you mind if I ask how you guys communicated as a family? Sign language? Lip reading? Writing once you were old enough to read? What was that like for you?

Wow. No wonder you cherish music so much. Do you mind if I ask how you guys communicated as a family? Sign language? Lip reading? Writing once you were old enough to read? What was that like for you?

I don't mind at all!

We communicated via sign language. I actually learned sign language before I learned how to talk. I am the youngest of us three siblings so I had my sisters (and some TV) to learn how to talk. It was amazing growing up in a deaf family. My aunt (my dad's sister was also born deaf and dad had another sister who was born deaf as well) and her family lived in the same city we did. My aunt and uncle had three children too and they were born deaf. We would attend deaf community functions at a club called The East Bay Club for the Deaf, go to my aunt's house and watch movies with closed captioning. At the time, it didn't really seem much different than a hearing family, we just had parents that couldn't hear or talk. I did grow up with hearing/talking friends. Sign language is such a beautiful language to see, sorry, I'm a little biased here, lol. With my dad, his deafness was hereditary and my mom's was due to her mother having the measles or german measles while she was pregnant with her. I would get pissed though when I would hear the ignorant "deaf and dumb" comments.

I don't mind at all!

We communicated via sign language. I actually learned sign language before I learned how to talk. I am the youngest of us three siblings so I had my sisters (and some TV) to learn how to talk. It was amazing growing up in a deaf family. My aunt (my dad's sister was also born deaf and dad had another sister who was born deaf as well) and her family lived in the same city we did. My aunt and uncle had three children too and they were born deaf. We would attend deaf community functions at a club called The East Bay Club for the Deaf, go to my aunt's house and watch movies with closed captioning. At the time, it didn't really seem much different than a hearing family, we just had parents that couldn't hear or talk. I did grow up with hearing/talking friends. Sign language is such a beautiful language to see, sorry, I'm a little biased here, lol. With my dad, his deafness was hereditary and my mom's was due to her mother having the measles or german measles while she was pregnant with her. I would get pissed though when I would hear the ignorant "deaf and dumb" comments.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I agree with you about the sign language... it's so beautiful, graceful, eloquent. Once upon a time I had a deaf coworker who could only understand signed language. I asked the Internets to tell me how to sign "teach me", and she did, bless her heart. But I was more like a 9-month-old baby and never as fluent as she was. Did your schools provide support for hearing- and speech-impaired kids?

I don't mind at all!

Cool story. I think sign language is a beautiful language to watch, too.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I agree with you about the sign language... it's so beautiful, graceful, eloquent. Once upon a time I had a deaf coworker who could only understand signed language. I asked the Internets to tell me how to sign "teach me", and she did, bless her heart. But I was more like a 9-month-old baby and never as fluent as she was. Did your schools provide support for hearing- and speech-impaired kids?

As far as I can remember, there weren't any hearing/speech-impaired students at the public schools in Oakland I attended. Although, my cousins did go to the Berkeley School for the Deaf.

If you have any other questions or curiosities, please don't hesitate to ask here or you can PM me and I'll gladly answer.

Good Morning.
I hope everyone here can welcome USF with open arms. If it helps, view him as a 'Rescue'. He's been pretty well abused and neglected.

Good Morning.
I hope everyone here can welcome USF with open arms. If it helps, view him as a 'Rescue'. He's been pretty well abused and neglected.
This is the nice thread, Jack...take that to the Tavern;)

That being said, we may be getting a new foster next week for a couple of months until the owner recovers from some pretty serious surgery... a Shorty Bull...that will be interesting, for sure;)

There are a lot of threads, where I'm not banned; but I'm glad to see that you getting thread banned, still chaps your ass.

095ea45e2311cd42867eb1923bf858c3.gif

Hey guys keep it civil. Plenty of other threads for your war.

Good morning everyone. Plumber snaked the drain got a lot of hair. How can hair get in the washer drain? I can see the tub and sink but the washer? Any suggestions?

Good morning everyone. Plumber snaked the drain got a lot of hair. How can hair get in the washer drain? I can see the tub and sink but the washer? Any suggestions?

Might be a silly question,is that drain just for the washer?
Or do other drains attach to it?

There's a "hair catcher" you can buy....the shelters/rescues use them...I'll find a link and send it;) There should be a drain filter you can pop out and clean occasionally...our Samsung's got one on the front/bottom right corner....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back