U.S. Supreme Court Ruling: ATHEISM IS RELIGION

There is no prohibition on creating a national language.
Correct.

The 1st Amement freedom/establishment of religion prohibits government from defining religion.
Nope. Now you are chanting. You haven't shown this prohibition because it doesn't exist in the 1st Amendment.

What delegated power allows the creation of a national language?
Wrong wording, but Congress can create a language.

Congress can pass a law declaring English the official language of the US.

I disagree. There is no delegated power allowing Congress to legislate educational policy.
You are not disagreeing. You are agreeing. The Executive branch determines policy whereas Congress legislates. Did you catch that clause in Article 1 granting Congress all legislative power?

You did?

Well, there you go.

That is why education is a function performed under the reserved power of the states.
All State functions that are reserved to the States occur under Congressional legislation of interstate commerce. Congress gets to determine what constitutes interstate commerce.

Not a single court case is based on an interpretation of any law. You sure cling to this particular misconception.

The words are totally straightforward and are plain English. Any person who feels he was searched unreasonably can make his case in court, and if an English-speaking judge or jury agrees that it was "unreasonable" per their understanding of English, then it gets undone, the evidence get thrown out or the authorities are punished.
The entire legal system is based on this "misconception." It is certainly not based on a person who "feels" he was searched unreasonably and a jury who agrees with him. Challenging a search would be heard in an appellate court with no jury.

If existing law established a particular search was reasonable then the judge would uphold the search regardless of how the defendant felt.

Try reading Marbury v. Madison to learn how the founders felt about this issue.

Correct.

Nope. Now you are chanting. You haven't shown this prohibition because it doesn't exist in the 1st Amendment.
It is the essence of the 1st amendment. When government can decide the meaning of my religion, it is no longer free. Can the definition include a requirment that I attend church every Sunday and tithe?

Atheism is Religion according to the 1961 Torcaso v. Watkins case that was affirmed by the U.S. Supreme Court--

Just looking at the case now. Can you tell me where they make the claim that atheism is a religion? Because the word atheism doesn't appear in the brief anywhere.

But I also don't want to spend all evening looking through a court case. Just point me to where they drew this conclusion.

Thanks!

No it doesn't. The Constitution included the term in the original document and 1st Amendment. It did not define it; nor, did it define freedom, establishment, probable cause, or many other terms. Those issues have been settled by court decisions as it dealth with the facts of individual cases.

Defining religion limits the very freedoms the amendment seeks to protect.
no.
they do not redefine the term depending on the case.

you're and idiot.

defining terms as they are questioned is usual and proper.

Here's what you are saying:

Lacking a belief is a belief.

This is analogous to calling NOT stamp collecting a hobby.
Stop with the third grade atheism. I doesn't look good on you.

People who use atheist as a self-descriptor are not lacking a belief.

They just believe something different from theists.

You believe that there are no gods...or that it is more likely that there are no gods than that there is at least one.

no.
they do not redefine the term depending on the case.

you're and idiot.

defining terms as they are questioned is usual and proper.
That is not the way law works. If it is a criminal case the penal code defines the crime and lists the elements. I never said they redefine the term depending on the case. My point is that there are no laws defining religion--read more carefully.

The entire legal system is based on this "misconception."
Nope. Only your misconception is based on this misconception.

It is certainly not based on a person who "feels" he was searched unreasonably and a jury who agrees with him.
Yes, that is one such example of the purpose of the courts. When one party feels wronged, the party takes its case to court. Those who never feel wronged never go to court.

Challenging a search would be heard in an appellate court with no jury.
Appellate courts hear appeals, hence the name. An illegal search is handled by the district court where the illegal search occurred and all fruit of the poison tree discarded.

If existing law established a particular search was reasonable then the judge would uphold the search regardless of how the defendant felt.
Sure, but the judge can only decide the illegal search, not bring in the citizen to fight the illegal search.

Try reading Marbury v. Madison to learn how the founders felt about this issue.
I've read it many times., and I read it again upon your recent mention (thank you). It confirms that no law is to be interpreted, but prior decisions are.

You're only going to get tax breaks by electing the tax and regulation cutter in Donald Trump.
As much as I want to agree with your sentiment, the President has no more say in taxation than you do.

The Vice President, however, gets to break ties in the Senate.

Nope. I see you insisting that a certain prohibition is the "essence" of the 1st Amendment... but it simply is not there. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

You screwed the pooch there. You need to remove the word "my."
Nope. Each of us has freedom of religion and for some it is very personal. My religion has the same rights as yours.

Yes, those prohibitions are there. You have been telling us that the words in the Constitution are clear but you ignore their existence:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

This is what Congress (and the states) are prohibited from doing. There are no postive powers saying Congress can define religion......

Nope. Each of us has freedom of religion and for some it is very personal. My religion has the same rights as yours.
Sure ... and that is totally irrelevant. You have not shown how Congress defining "religion" somehow violates the 1st Amendment.
Yes, those prohibitions are there.
Nope. I'll post the text of the 1st Amendment here again, so we can marvel at its straightforward simplicity while simultaneously noting that it bears no prohibition against defining the word "religion," "exercise," "speech," "grievance," "redress," "press," or any other word in the English language. Let's take a closer look:

1st Amendment - Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The floor is yours.

You have been telling us that the words in the Constitution are clear but you ignore their existence:
I regularly post text from the Constitution on JPP.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;
We've been over this. You have repeatedly stopped short of showing how this clause is somehow violated by a definition of the word "religion."

This is what Congress (and the states) are prohibited from doing.
Not according to Article 1 Section 1 of the Constitution.

As much as I want to agree with your sentiment, the President has no more say in taxation than you do.

The Vice President, however, gets to break ties in the Senate.
Oh but the president has the initial say in the tax cuts, as was started by Trump in 2017.

After Trump signed the 2017 Tax Relief Bill into law, American families paid less in taxes and had more money in their pocket.

Two years after Trump's tax relief, real wages grew nearly 5%--the fasted growth in 20 years. Real medium household income increased by $5,000, a bigger gain than the prior 8 years combined. As a result of the Trump Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, Americans earning under $100,000 received an average tax cut of 16%.

That is not the way law works. If it is a criminal case the penal code defines the crime and lists the elements. I never said they redefine the term depending on the case. My point is that there are no laws defining religion--read more carefully.
but it must be defined for law to operate.

and you are saying it be redefined on a case by case basis.

THAT is NOT how laws works.

you are more obnoxious than any Fundy. at least they're against transing kids secretly at school.

Back