Usha Vance earned what MAGA morons call useless liberal arts degrees

Do you think JD Vance should have had his taxpayer financing for college withdrawn because he studied philosophy and political science?
I think a person that works to pay for it - either in the private sector - or works by serving his country is not in the same ball park as what we are discussing here.

I also don't think either degree ranks in the bottom - but since he chose to work to pay for it - he can do basket weaving under water

What was her LSAT score?
No idea. It would have to be somewhere in the stratosphere w/ a 2.4 GPA. It's hard to imagine her having one that high w/ a 2.4 in Home Eck.

Sounds like a made up story.
Could be. I don't know why she woulda lied to me about it though. She was a real ditz.
Most of the sources I see on the internet report that the average GPA of someone accepted to Tulane Law School is 3.6, and they rarely consider anyone with less than a 3.4, although you can still technically apply with a 2.0 GPA, but your almost certaintly going to be rejected absent any extraordinary circumstances.
This was in the '80's. There's been significant grade inflation since then. E.g., a 3.0 was plenty good enuf to get into LSU Dental school when i started. Now the avg. is like 3.5.
LSU vet school's avg. is 3.9 last i checked. That's crazy, no grade inflation.
Most of the sources I see on the internet report that the average GPA of someone accepted to Tulane Law School is 3.6, and they rarely consider anyone with less than a 3.4, although you can still technically apply with a 2.0 GPA, but your almost certaintly going to be rejected absent any extraordinary circumstances.
What do your sources say about the mid 80's?

So now you are retreating, backtracking, backpedaling away from your first claim that humanities degree only get you jobs at Starbucks, and now your second claim is that teaching at the Naval Academy or working at the National Archives do not count as real jobs.
Oh they do. They're just low ambition, low paying gubmint jobs that are almost impossible to get fired from, a far cry from being self employed in a profession.

Technical writer works in private consulting.
A certified tech. writer doesn't get that with a history degree. You prove my point. Your 'friend' had to get additional training since his history degree was worthless.

^^^ Claims to have studied philosophy in college, but remarkably somehow does not intuitively understand how the Socratic method, formal logic, and the dialectic could be a useful background for law school.

Actually I never said I didn't understand it. I was just mocking your claims to know so much about everything while you really are just a dilettante.

Would it surprise you to know that my current job is in the Legal department? I'd try to explain the link to science but you wouldn't understand it having no real experiences in the sciences.

Oh they do. They're just low ambition, low paying gubmint jobs that are almost impossible to get fired from, a far cry from being self employed in a profession.

Actually that's not correct. The ranks of middle management all across industry is loaded with people who came out of liberal arts degrees in the humanities.

A certified tech. writer doesn't get that with a history degree.

You'd be surprised. I've met people who got writing/english related degrees in college who are working in management positions at major corporations. I've also met quite a few tech writers and know they come from a crazy wild array of backgrounds.

You prove my point. Your 'friend' had to get additional training since his history degree was worthless.

Even if one gets a degree, the JOB the wind up doing requires some degree of training. All positions in industry do. There's few cases where someone comes in completely cold with an appropriate degree who can actually do the job right from the git-go.

You seem confused. The internet is filled with videos of people that have built their own CNC router, CNC plasma, and CNC laser machines. This only proves that liberal arts majors are more informed than you are because they know that CNC isn't restricted to lathes and mills. You can't seem to understand anything outside your limited area of alleged expertise.
I saw CNC plasma cutters long before I saw a CNC lathe or mill. Actually, they were the under water cutters that cut under a tank filled with water.
Tape machines were the thing back then when it came to lathes and mills. Today's 6 axis CNC machines are far more complicated then those you mentioned, which only move in 2 axis. Then there's the MAZAK language which doesn't use G codes.
Ain't no liberal arts major who has a clue how to set up or program (much less grind the cutting tooling) a lathe or mill. Hell, most liberal arts majors probably never even heard of the simplest of 2 axis machines.

I saw CNC plasma cutters long before I saw a CNC lathe or mill. Actually, they were the under water cutters that cut under a tank filled with water.
Tape machines were the thing back then when it came to lathes and mills. Today's 6 axis CNC machines are far more complicated then those you mentioned, which only move in 2 axis. Then there's the MAZAK language which doesn't use G codes.
Ain't no liberal arts major who has a clue how to set up or program (much less grind the cutting tooling) a lathe or mill. Hell, most liberal arts majors probably never even heard of the simplest of 2 axis machines.
Shut Up!

Or ELSE!

A friend of mine from high school had two sons. I thought, given who the woman was, that both kids would immediately go straight into 4-year college. But one son had no real interest in the Bachelors route so he went to one of the remaining trade schools and learned how to operate CNC machines. It honestly sounded like a great option for him. I think that's what America really needs to focus on: eliminate the need for EVERY SINGLE F'IN' JOB to require a BS and open more trade schools! (also bring more manufacturing back into the US...but that goes without saying)

I loved and needed academia. It was my only desired route. But my brother didn't. He's much older than I am and actually dropped out of college in 1970 and went into the military (during Nam). He's a smart guy but his path was elsewhere and he had a great civil service career when he got home.

But on the flip side: those humanities degrees actually DO have value in and of themselves. But you will also find that the ranks of the workers across industry are filled with people who function at a very high level within the corporate structure who came out of those humanities degrees but then, as all of us ultimately do, learn how to do the job they settle into while they are doing the job.

I find you rather funny. Find anyone off the street that can run a CNC with no training. Liberal arts majors can be trained just like HS drop outs but liberal arts majors will probably be easier to train because they have shown they can stick to something. Just about any CNC router is a 3 axis machine. I guess you aren't very familiar with CNCs.

Ain't no HS dropout who has a clue how to set up or program (much less grind the cutting tooling) a lathe or mill. Hell, most HS dropouts probably never even heard of the simplest of 2 axis machines.
Ain't no HS graduate who has a clue how to set up or program (much less grind the cutting tooling) a lathe or mill. Hell, most HS graduates probably never even heard of the simplest of 2 axis machines.
Ain't no tech school drop out who has a clue how to set up or program (much less grind the cutting tooling) a lathe or mill. Hell, most tech school drop outs probably never even heard of the simplest of 2 axis machines.
Ain't no college drop out who has a clue how to set up or program (much less grind the cutting tooling) a lathe or mill. Hell, most college drop outs probably never even heard of the simplest of 2 axis machines.
Ain't no college graduate who has a clue how to set up or program (much less grind the cutting tooling) a lathe or mill. Hell, most college graduates probably never even heard of the simplest of 2 axis machines.

Frankly you are an idiot, RB. No one can run a CNC without either reading the fucking manual or having some training. You seem to think that people with liberal arts degrees are untrainable. You are free to have that opinion but it doesn't really make sense considering the hundreds of people with liberal arts degrees that are much better machinists than you are or will ever be.

Attracting Philosophy Majors with Combined Undergrad/Grad Degrees​

The Department of Philosophy at Youngstown State University has launched a “3+3 undergraduate to law school program” that allows students to major in philosophy and get a law degree in six years, as opposed to the seven it would normally take.

Back