VFW blasts Obama's DoD

Administration officials have said the decision was based on a legal review by government lawyers, including the Justice Department, though they are now reviewing that decision
freaking Holder.

and this: http://www.nationalreview.com/campa...h-gratuity-why-wont-they-pay-it-jim-geraghty#!

Following week, Congress passed, and the President signed the Pay Our Military Act which included authorization for all military benefits.] Everyone felt relieved, believing military pay and benefits are protected.”

Then Thursday and Friday of last week, the aide said he and other Republican colleagues started to hear whispers from third parties that there was a problem with Death Gratuity.

The House wasn’t notified by the Obama administration or made aware that Department of Defense felt they lacked authorization to pay that benefit.

On Friday, in response to the rumors, Congressman Joe Wilson sent this letter to Sec Hagel asking whether there was a problem with paying the death gratuity or other benefits, and whether this or any other benefits required specific authorizations from Congress.

There was never a response from Obama Administration or DoD to the Congressional inquiry.
The Wilson letter to Hagel specifically asked about the death gratuity, as well as benefits for covering burial costs

just ONCE before Obama leaves Office i'd like to see some acountability out of the executive branch

President Barack Obama ordered administration officials on Wednesday to find an immediate solution.

"The president was very disturbed to learn of this problem, and he directed the Department of Defense to work with the Office of Management and Budget and his lawyers to develop a possible solution, and he expects this to be fixed today," White House spokesman Jay Carney said.
Look.

The provide pay and allowances to members of the Armed Forces is very specific, allowances IS the "Death Gratuity" - i mean it is ABSURD to think the Death Gratuity is not payable to the beneficiary/family of the DEAD.

Further - doesn't Obama KNOW about the dead US troops in Afg? Or those just dieing? WTF - he is Commander -in Chief ; he's a got a shitload of lawyers under him.

Does NO ONE in thsi incompetent adm. feel the need to kick this upstairs?? Or do they just bounce things around, and never take down the "internal walls"
that the Adm is fond of setting up, to bury accountability?

Fuck this shit. Obama is playing the shutdown for political gain JUST like Congress. Oh well.. call "hot potato" on Obama on this one

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr3210/text

One Hundred Thirteenth Congress

of the

United States of America

AT THE FIRST SESSION

Begun and held at the City of Washington on Thursday,

the third day of January, two thousand and thirteen

An Act

Making continuing appropriations for military pay in the event of a Government shutdown.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the ‘Pay Our Military Act’.

SEC. 2. CONTINUING APPROPRIATIONS FOR MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES.

(a) In General- There are hereby appropriated for fiscal year 2014, out of any money in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, for any period during which interim or full-year appropriations for fiscal year 2014 are not in effect--

(1) such sums as are necessary to provide pay and allowances to members of the Armed Forces (as defined in section 101(a)(4) of title 10, United States Code), including reserve components thereof, who perform active service during such period;

(2) such sums as are necessary to provide pay and allowances to the civilian personnel of the Department of Defense (and the Department of Homeland Security in the case of the Coast Guard) whom the Secretary concerned determines are providing support to members of the Armed Forces described in paragraph (1); and

(3) such sums as are necessary to provide pay and allowances to contractors of the Department of Defense (and the Department of Homeland Security in the case of the Coast Guard) whom the Secretary concerned determines are providing support to members of the Armed Forces described in paragraph (1).

(b) Secretary Concerned Defined- In this section, the term ‘Secretary concerned’ means--

(1) the Secretary of Defense with respect to matters concerning the Department of Defense; and

(2) the Secretary of Homeland Security with respect to matters concerning the Coast Guard.

SEC. 3. TERMINATION.

Appropriations and funds made available and authority granted pursuant to this Act shall be available until whichever of the following first occurs: (1) the enactment into law of an appropriation (including a continuing appropriation) for any purpose for which amounts are made available in section 2; (2) the enactment into law of the applicable regular or continuing appropriations resolution or other Act without any appropriation for such purpose; or (3) January 1, 2015.

Speaker of the House of Representatives.

Vice President of the United States and

President of the Senate.

101 a)( (4)The term “armed forces” means the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/101

so look I'm not even a freaking lawyer, and I can see how this reads - it doesn't say JUST THE MEMEBERS - it says ARMED FORCES which is a generalized meaning for the branches of Services.

To wit; the Armed Forces does NOT EXCLUDE the payments to the families...jeese.,,, so tired of the wiggling

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by NOVA
How come the Senate Democrats already REFUSED to bring it up in their chamber ?......

come on zippy...spin away....we know you've got more excuses....you're the top Dem. apologist on the site and you
never let the truth distract you......

There would be no need for this to be brought up in the Senate if OBSTRUCTIONIST REPUBLICANS hadn't shut down the Government.

Thats it ?.....The Sen. Democrats refuse to consider paying the death benefits and you're whining about Republicans ?
That isn't even the issue.....

Nice lame try.....poor Zippy

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr3210/text

One Hundred Thirteenth Congress

of the

United States of America

AT THE FIRST SESSION

Begun and held at the City of Washington on Thursday,

the third day of January, two thousand and thirteen

An Act

Making continuing appropriations for military pay in the event of a Government shutdown.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the ‘Pay Our Military Act’.

SEC. 2. CONTINUING APPROPRIATIONS FOR MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES.

(a) In General- There are hereby appropriated for fiscal year 2014, out of any money in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, for any period during which interim or full-year appropriations for fiscal year 2014 are not in effect--

(1) such sums as are necessary to provide pay and allowances to members of the Armed Forces (as defined in section 101(a)(4) of title 10, United States Code), including reserve components thereof, who perform active service during such period;

(2) such sums as are necessary to provide pay and allowances to the civilian personnel of the Department of Defense (and the Department of Homeland Security in the case of the Coast Guard) whom the Secretary concerned determines are providing support to members of the Armed Forces described in paragraph (1); and

(3) such sums as are necessary to provide pay and allowances to contractors of the Department of Defense (and the Department of Homeland Security in the case of the Coast Guard) whom the Secretary concerned determines are providing support to members of the Armed Forces described in paragraph (1).

(b) Secretary Concerned Defined- In this section, the term ‘Secretary concerned’ means--

(1) the Secretary of Defense with respect to matters concerning the Department of Defense; and

(2) the Secretary of Homeland Security with respect to matters concerning the Coast Guard.

SEC. 3. TERMINATION.

Appropriations and funds made available and authority granted pursuant to this Act shall be available until whichever of the following first occurs: (1) the enactment into law of an appropriation (including a continuing appropriation) for any purpose for which amounts are made available in section 2; (2) the enactment into law of the applicable regular or continuing appropriations resolution or other Act without any appropriation for such purpose; or (3) January 1, 2015.

Speaker of the House of Representatives.

Vice President of the United States and

President of the Senate.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/101

so look I'm not even a freaking lawyer, and I can see how this reads - it doesn't say JUST THE MEMEBERS - it says ARMED FORCES which is a generalized meaning for the branches of Services.

To wit; the Armed Forces does NOT EXCLUDE the payments to the families...jeese.,,, so tired of the wiggling
Didn't the CR that sundowned on Oct. 1 negate that bill?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by NOVA

Thats it ?.....The Sen. Democrats refuse to consider paying the death benefits and you're whining about Republicans ?
That isn't even the issue.....

Nice lame try.....poor Zippy
To be clear...if defunding O'care wasn't included in the budget, a clusterfuck is cool? But paying those in need, which wasn't important enough during last month's dog and pony show is now on the front burner?

Senate should NOT vote on this. You don't want govt? You don't get govt.

It's a Supplemental , no.

EDIT: Obama signed it just before the shutdown
I thought we're talking about the one that was signed in Jan? Just before the last time Republicans wanted to shut down the govt. It terminates as soon as a CR is passed.

Yep...you posted the bill that was passed last Jan. Soo......didn't the CR terminate that bill?

You don't want govt? You don't get govt.

Compelling argument.

So if you're concerned about the destruction of the country's health care system and crushing debt being passed onto future generations, you obviously must be an anarchist.

Nah, on second thought it's not compelling at all. It's moronic.

Last edited:
Compelling argument.

So if you're concerned about the destruction of the country's health care system and crushing debt being passed onto future generations, you obviously must be an anarchist.

Nah, on second thought it's not compelling at all. It's moronic.
No....no I'm not worried about 'crushing debt'. Know why? Because EVERY Republican POTUS who referenced that false issue, went on to spend money that we didn't have. All doing it while cutting taxes.

So, no...I'm not worried about crushing debt at all. In case nobody ever told you, this nation was BORN in debt. You think fighting for our freedom didn't have a pricetag?

Last edited:
I thought we're talking about the one that was signed in Jan? Just before the last time Republicans wanted to shut down the govt. It terminates as soon as a CR is passed.

Yep...you posted the bill that was passed last Jan. Soo......didn't the CR terminate that bill?

not sure, I read it 2 ways with the termination date, yet the contined appropriation in the event of a gov't shut down.

I'd have to see when Obama signed it, from what I know it was just recently signed, but trying to do research on this is just too archaic, and time consuming.

Can't get any clarity thru media; here is the latest I can find. Dysfunctional DC at it's finest, another reason to just forget partisan politics, as it inevitably leads to gridlock.

I mean when Congress passes this stuff, it's brought up, and Congressional aides are telling Congress people various things,,hard to see thru the spin.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ath-gratuities-on-hold-until-end-of-shutdown/

shows DoD still can't/won't pay out

not sure, I read it 2 ways with the termination date, yet the contined appropriation in the event of a gov't shut down.

I'd have to see when Obama signed it, from what I know it was just recently signed, but trying to do research on this is just too archaic, and time consuming.

Can't get any clarity thru media; here is the latest I can find. Dysfunctional DC at it's finest, another reason to just forget partisan politics, as it inevitably leads to gridlock.

I mean when Congress passes this stuff, it's brought up, and Congressional aides are telling Congress people various things,,hard to see thru the spin.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ath-gratuities-on-hold-until-end-of-shutdown/

shows DoD still can't/won't pay out
Whereas I'm reading that a similar bill was passed recently, albeit with improper language, the one being discussed here is from Jan, with a termination in the event of any other legislation re. spending.

Back