We can all agree on 1 thing!

Indeed, as BAC is one likely other non-GOP folks are too.

While I've been reading a few of these Syria threads, is there anyone on this board, other than Desh that supports the bombing? Tekky gave a lot of attagirls to Desh early on, sort of slowed down on those though...

not that I've read here..maybe..just Congress in their obsequious desire to hand over full war powesr to the executive.

Either they abandon it, or enable it - POTUS always gets his/her wars.

not that I've read here..maybe..just Congress in their obsequious desire to hand over full war powesr to the executive.

Either they abandon it, or enable it - POTUS always gets his/her wars.

I think everyone hoping that Congress would vote 'no' is likely to be disappointed. One must remember why they willing gave up war powers to the executive way back when, to avoid their own accountability to their constituents. Thus a 'I was for it, before I was against it,' gets some laughs and the idiot is reelected, even promoted. Sheesh.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/09...test+-+Text)

Free Syrian Army spokesman Fahd Al-Masri has told Fox News that former Syrian Defense Minister General Ali Habib has defected and is now in Turkey.

Ali Habib crossed the border from Syria last night, Reuters reports, but Syrian State TV claims he is still in his home in Syria.

Al-Masri told Fox News that Ali Habib is with Turkish officials and is in the process of making contacted with Syrian opposition figures within Turkey.

Ali Habib left his defense minister post in 2011 after reportedly complaining about civilian attacks coordinated by President Bashar Assad’s regime.
The announcement of the defection comes as a Syrian forensic medicine expert also fled to Turkey on Tuesday, Reuters reports.Istanbul-based opposition coalition spokeswoman Sarah Karkour said Abdeltawwab Shahrour, head of the forensic medicine committee in Aleppo, has evidence that Assad used chemical weapons in a March attack on Aleppo and is planning to reveal it.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/09...#ixzz2dwiCfzTg

FACTS!!!!!!

Sarah Karkour said Abdeltawwab Shahrour, head of the forensic medicine committee in Aleppo, has evidence that Assad used chemical weapons in a March attack on Aleppo and is planning to reveal it.

see what happens when you go with your gut instead of facts.

this world already decided that Chemical weapons were not to be used with impunity by dictators folks.

back after the horror of WWI

I think everyone hoping that Congress would vote 'no' is likely to be disappointed. One must remember why they willing gave up war powers to the executive way back when, to avoid their own accountability to their constituents. Thus a 'I was for it, before I was against it,' gets some laughs and the idiot is reelected, even promoted. Sheesh.
agreed. The resolution will be massaged to the point of passing; once passed it is the can opener, to do virtually anything POTUS desires under "Nat'l Security" -
the blanketing catch-all.

'I was for it, before I was against it,'
I think that was Kerry's quote ( paraphrased), but it fit's just as well. Dissembler of State ?

Congressional enablers of the unitary POTUS: "it wasn't what I would have wanted, but it just worked out that way, trust me on this"

Your responses here basically prove his point which is it's about partisanship and not principle.

Not really.

You could just as easily say the right-wingers being against it is about partisanship not principle.

I wouldn't say that on either side; there are liberals who are reluctant, there are conservatives who are ready to bomb. And vice versa

This is the use of chemical weapons - something pretty horrible. While I'm not sure we can do or should do anything, I can understand why people want to punish Assad for it. I can also understand why others don't think we should.

I don't think this is partisan, unless you are saying the right-wingers are knee jerk against it just because Obama is for it?

You know who else was a defector? Curveball. How'd that turn out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curveball_(informant)

Curveball (informant)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Rafid Ahmed Alwan

Born
Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi
1968 (age 44–45)
Iraq

Residence
Karlsruhe, Germany

Nationality
former Iraqi Citizen

Other names
Curveball

Alma mater
Baghdad University

Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi (Arabic: رافد أحمد علوان‎, Rāfid Aḥmad Alwān; born 1968), known by the Defense Intelligence Agency cryptonym "Curveball",[1] is an Iraqi citizen who defected from Iraq in 1999, claiming that he had worked as a chemical engineer at a plant that manufactured mobile biological weapon laboratories as part of an Iraqi weapons of mass destruction program.[2] Alwan's allegations were subsequently shown to be false by the Iraq Survey Group's final report published in 2004.[3][4]

Despite warnings from the German Federal Intelligence Service and the British Secret Intelligence Service questioning the authenticity of the claims, the US Government and British government utilized them to build a rationale for military action in the lead up to the 2003 invasion of Iraq, including in the 2003 State of the Union address, where President Bush said "we know that Iraq, in the late 1990s, had several mobile biological weapons labs", and Colin Powell's presentation to the UN Security Council, which contained a computer generated image of a mobile biological weapons laboratory.[2][5] On 24 September 2002, the British government published its dossier on the former Iraqi leader's WMD with a personal foreword by Mr Blair, who assured readers Saddam Hussein had continued to produce WMD "beyond doubt".[6]

these guys are not fakes

AHMED CHALABI WAS A DEFECTOR THAT WAS FIRST HAILED AS A HERO .. TURNED OUT HE WAS A DOUBLE AGENT WORKING FOR IRAN, DRAWING THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION INTO A WAR THAT HAS EMPOWERED IRAN EXPONENTIALLY AND DESTROYED AMERICAN CREDIBILITY

http://www.forensicmag.com/news/201...e-evidence-march-chemical-attack#.UieFCynn-tU

A Syrian forensic medicine expert with evidence that President Bashar al-Assad's administration used chemical weapons in an attack near Aleppo in March has defected to Turkey, the opposition has said.

Abdeltawwab Shahrour, head of the forensic medicine committee in Aleppo, would make public his evidence of the March 19 chemical attack in Khan al-Assal, Istanbul-based opposition coalition spokeswoman Sarah Karkour said.

Shahrour had documents proving that a chemical weapons attack took place and eye-witness accounts from police authorities that contradicted the administration's version of events, a second opposition official said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/04/ali-habib-defects-syria_n_3866092.html

AMMAN/DOHA, Sept 4 (Reuters) - Former Syrian Defense Minister General Ali Habib, a prominent member of President Bashar al-Assad's Alawite sect, has defected and is now in Turkey, a senior member of the opposition Syrian National Coalition told Reuters on Wednesday.

If his defection is confirmed, Habib would be the highest ranking figure from the Alawite minority to break with Assad since the uprising against his rule began in 2011.

"Ali Habib has managed to escape from the grip of the regime and he is now in Turkey, but this does not mean that he has joined the opposition. I was told this by a Western diplomatic official," Kamal al-Labwani said from Paris.

A Gulf source told Reuters that Habib had defected on Tuesday evening, arriving at the Turkish frontier before midnight with two or three other people. He was then taken across the border in a convoy of vehicles.

His companions were fellow military officers who supported his defection, the source said. They were believed to have also left Syria but there was no immediate confirmation of that.

Not really.

You could just as easily say the right-wingers being against it is about partisanship not principle.

I wouldn't say that on either side; there are liberals who are reluctant, there are conservatives who are ready to bomb. And vice versa

This is the use of chemical weapons - something pretty horrible. While I'm not sure we can do or should do anything, I can understand why people want to punish Assad for it. I can also understand why others don't think we should.

I don't think this is partisan, unless you are saying the right-wingers are knee jerk against it just because Obama is for it?

I was speaking about Desh specifically. BAC has stated her position is based on partisanship not principle. My response to Desh's post were they just reinforce what BAC said. I was not speaking about liberals or conservatives as a whole.

Back