What Song Are You Listening To, Right Now?

"Born is the USA"

Bruce Springsteen

Born down in a dead man's town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
You end up like a dog that's been beat too much
'Til you spend half your life just covering up

Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.

I got in a little hometown jam
And so they put a rifle in my hands
Sent me off to Vietnam
To go and kill the yellow man

Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man says "Son if it was up to me"
I go down to see the V.A. man
He said "Son don't you understand..."

I had a buddy at Khe Sahn
Fighting off the Viet Cong
They're still there,
he's all gone

He had a little girl in Saigon
I got a picture of him in her arms

Down in the shadow of the penitentiary
Out by the gas fires of the refinery
I'm ten years down the road
Nowhere to run, ain't got nowhere to go

I'm a long gone Daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.

the supreme court and the health and well being of our returning soilders.

Two things we will be dealing with for many years to come.

Death of a martian ,red hot chili peppers

Darla, I seem to remember Reagan and other assorted rightwingers in the 80s, paying homage to springsteen for his great patriotism - and in particular his "born in the usa" song. I guess they assumed from the title, it was some upbeat patriotic song.

I don't think reagan ever knew what the song was really about ;)

Darla, I seem to remember Reagan and other assorted rightwingers in the 80s, paying homage to springsteen for his great patriotism - and in particular his "born in the usa" song. I guess they assumed from the title, it was some upbeat patriotic song.

I don't think reagan ever knew what the song was really about ;)

Yeah, that was George Will! He made a real fool out of Reagan, by talking up this big patriotic song, and Reagan tried to get tickets to the Springsteen concert for him and Nancy. I guess it was for a big PR shot. And then Bruce had to tell him to get f'd, but since he was President, in a nice way. He issued a statement saying something to the effect of, I think the President needs to listen to the song.

Of course, Will is considered an intellectual giant in Republican circles as you know.

Funny dat!

I really loved it when they would go on the Colbert show before they realised he was mocking them.

Yeah, that was George Will! He made a real fool out of Reagan, by talking up this big patriotic song, and Reagan tried to get tickets to the Springsteen concert for him and Nancy. I guess it was for a big PR shot. And then Bruce had to tell him to get f'd, but since he was President, in a nice way. He issued a statement saying something to the effect of, I think the President needs to listen to the song.

Of course, Will is considered an intellectual giant in Republican circles as you know.

HaHa!

Back