What was the first style of beer you ever tried?

Back in the day it didn't have any preservatives and had to be shipped in refrigerated trucks and only within a limited range. It became a hot commodity back East. Two college friends of mine hat tickets to the Indy 500 infield and loaded up a pickup truck full of Coors, unrefrigerated, and drove it straight through. They sold the cans, warm, for a buck a beer. Almost $5 in today's money. They had money left over on their return.

https://www.nytimes.com/1975/12/28/...ly-in-the-west-coors-beer-is-smuggled-to.html
Sold only in the West, Coors beer is smuggled to the East. Henry Kissinger drinks it. So does Paul Newman, though he would abhor the Coors family's politics.

I never got a buzz with Coors beer. I think they're just water to be honest.

Because I starting out hoping that APL was smart and cool, and then I got my education, the same thing I have gone through with you.

APL is smart and cool...not as smart and cool as me, but close enough. When you "got" your education? Did you receive it in a Cracker Jack box or by sending in box tops?

6maJsar.jpg

Since this topic is about beer, my favorite has been Natty Daddy.

Those two reviewed them and they were talking silly after ONE 16 oz of Natty Daddy.

Now the issue with those brands is they capitalized after prohibition. Many of the big brands sold a weak sauce version of beer and made a fortune.

Before WWI, all beers were dark in color. Nothing brewed anywhere that looked like horse piss as most major brands appear today.

But, as the men went off to war, the number one beer consumer in most nations including America, was women. And not that women demanded a lighter brew, a lighter brew became the standard here in America. In other words, American Beer manufacturers started brewing
a lesser product with less ingredients and it came out as a light beer with little color to it.

England started brewing Pale ales many years back. Their number one exported Pale Ale, as they call their lighter brews, is still Bass Ale, and it has been brewed ever since the 1700's as Lewis & Clark demanded something like 100 cases of Bass Ale or they would not go on their expedition.

But, as you watch old movies of the old era before WWI, especially the OLD WEST, you will see light beer being served in the saloons in Hollywood movies. That would be totally incorrect, as in America most beers, if not all, were much darker and brewed with a lot more barley malt and not watered down as it is today among the major brands. And most of today's major American brands use about 10% rice malts that make it even lighter.

I learned all of this as a Home Brewer! Home Brew is still the best beer you can drink in my opinion.

Before WWI, all beers were dark in color. Nothing brewed anywhere that looked like horse piss as most major brands appear today.

But, as the men went off to war, the number one beer consumer in most nations including America, was women. And not that women demanded a lighter brew, a lighter brew became the standard here in America. In other words, American Beer manufacturers started brewing
a lesser product with less ingredients and it came out as a light beer with little color to it.

England started brewing Pale ales many years back. Their number one exported Pale Ale, as they call their lighter brews, is still Bass Ale, and it has been brewed ever since the 1700's as Lewis & Clark demanded something like 100 cases of Bass Ale or they would not go on their expedition.

But, as you watch old movies of the old era before WWI, especially the OLD WEST, you will see light beer being served in the saloons in Hollywood movies. That would be totally incorrect, as in America most beers, if not all, were much darker and brewed with a lot more barley malt and not watered down as it is today among the major brands. And most of today's major American brands use about 10% rice malts that make it even lighter.

I learned all of this as a Home Brewer! Home Brew is still the best beer you can drink in my opinion.

Don't forget craft brewers. You local brewery is making good beer. Support them!

It worked well enough when I was 18. :)

By the time I was pushing 20 it was wine and a local herbal remedy on the ski slopes.

Since this topic is about beer, my favorite has been Natty Daddy.

Those two reviewed them and they were talking silly after ONE 8 oz of Natty Daddy.

This is a review of my favorite beer. "I cannot feel the buzz and taste the beer!", they said, while keeping drinking it out of their 8 oz glasses. That's how good my brand of beer is.

Porter, a dark beer, was said to be brewed by Ben Franklin and George Washington. A popular style and easy to brew.

Ben Franklin’s beer drinking preferences were developed before the earliest documentation, in 1771, of spiced or flavored commercial recipes that included pumpkin, parsnips, and spruce. Although Porter was popular in England during Franklin’s life, the first Porter brewery in Colonial America did not appear until 1775 and the style was not readily available during the war years. Finally, Franklin’s favorite beer could not have been a lager since it was only first brewed in America in 1840 (well after Franklin’s death.)
http://www.benfranklin300.org/etc_article_ale.htm

Don't forget craft brewers. You local brewery is making good beer. Support them!

I love the Microbreweries! I visit them all over America! You are right, they are as good as home brew!

I am not a hop head, so not really into Hoppy Beers- often referred to as IPA's. Not really into the Cascade hops used in most California brews. My favorite hops off all time comes from Budweiser. They have a patent on their hop and it is only used in Budweiser beer. Or maybe it is that Budweiser uses just the right amount of it. But for store bought major brands, Budweiser is a great tasting commercial beer with just the right amount of hops and the hops don't overpower the beer. It is well rounded with flavors.

Home brewers have many choices of hops to choose from today.

The thing is, without hops to bitter beer, all beer would taste like kool-aid! And the first taste of any beer is always going to come from it's bitterness or hops.

Last edited:
It worked well enough when I was 18. :)

By the time I was pushing 20 it was wine and a local herbal remedy on the ski slopes.

I can attest for those two guys.

Split a 25 oz Natty Daddy can for those guys. 8oz in each glass cups.

Those with low tolerance will be passed out drunk.

Good beer.

7549ef13-78ef-41e7-9c00-aa0de2c045fe_1.577c6592991569b0b7c21787557f7ed5.jpeg

I love the Microbreweries! I visit them all over America! You are right, they are as good as home brew!

I am not a hop head, so not really into Hoppy Beers. Not really into the Cascade hops used in most California brews. My favorite hops off all time comes from Budweiser. They have a patent on their hop and it is only used in Budweiser beer. Or maybe it is that Budweiser uses just the right amount of it. But for store bought major brands, Budweiser is a great tasting commercial beer with just the right amount of hops and the hops don't overpower the beer. It is well rounded with flavors.

yes, I do not like IPA's. But I never drink Bud, a lager.

When I was 12ish we could order beer (Old Style) delivered with our pizza. It was a block away so the driver didn't mind as long as he got a tip.

yes, I do not like IPA's. But I never drink Bud, a lager.

I usually order it out when attending the bars. Some of the bars I go to only offer the major store brands. Yes, Ales are my preference as well.

My favorite to order where available is Shock Top or Blue Moon which are basically Belgium style wheat brews. AND DON'T FORGET THE SLICE OF ORANGE!

Back