Where I'm going to college

That's a valid point of view.

As for me...I could never make an educational decision with money and marketability being the primary deciding factor. If I didn't like what I studied, I'd probably flunk out.

Well, in all 4 of my undergrad years I've never met anyone who was thrilled about the work that they had to do. Maybe it was because I hung out with science and math majors, but I have to say, most people, unless they were at the school of arts and did theater and sang were usually stressed and miserable during midterms and finals anyway. You might as well make your misery worth it.

Well, in all 4 of my undergrad years I've never met anyone who was thrilled about the work that they had to do. Maybe it was because I hung out with science and math majors, but I have to say, most people, unless they were at the school of arts and did theater and sang were usually stressed and miserable during midterms and finals anyway. You might as well make your misery worth it.

I don't think you have to be thrilled with a major. Like I said, I think it is important that one have at least a moderate level of interest in the subject.

Can you imagine being a chemistry major, but not having a bit of interest in the subject? Or worse, hating it?

I don't think you have to be thrilled with a major. Like I said, I think it is important that one have at least a moderate level of interest in the subject.

Can you imagine being a chemistry major, but not having a bit of interest in the subject? Or worse, hating it?

Been there, done that graduated with honors.

You're undergraduate degree doesn't have to be your chosen career path, you just have to make sure it will open up doors to whatever you may or may not want to do in the future. In my experience after having applied for a wide variety of things is that employers and graduate schools really liked the fact that I had an engineering degree.
Now I do know someone that did really really well with a Spanish degree, but she knew people in high places.

Been there, done that graduated with honors.

You're undergraduate degree doesn't have to be your chosen career path, you just have to make sure it will open up doors to whatever you may or may not want to do in the future. In my experience after having applied for a wide variety of things is that employers and graduate schools really liked the fact that I had an engineering degree.
Now I do know someone that did really really well with a Spanish degree, but she knew people in high places.

Kudos to you!

:clink:

That's awesome. As for me, I could never stick with something for four years, if I didn't have the slightest interest in the subject.

I graduated with a Math/English degree because it was easy. I had CLEP'd out of most of the required classes earlier, but I had lost my love for math long before.

That's what I did. My mom pressured me into majoring in Engineering when I wanted to go "Pre-Med" aka Biology. Turned out she was right. I always tell young people that when they want to go for pre-med or pre-law. My bio degree would have been useless and unimpressive in my field, but I can always say I'm a rocket scientist amongst my peers ;)

And I agree in terms of marketability engineering>accounting>finance>economics

Engineering? Accounting? Finance? Economics?

I guess all of them sound equally boring.

the most important thing is to major in something that you at least can sort of like. That's more important than going for marketability.

If one major's in something they don't like, or aren't motivated in, chances are you'll flunk out, get bad grades, or just have a crap time in general.

As a literature major, you can't do anything.

I wouldn't go for literature major alone. I'd rather do engineering than that. Engineering may be boring, but it's better than being unemployed, waiting for your book to get published. But I'm just thinking it'd be a nice thing to fluff a degree up with, since I'm so good at it.

Kudos to you!

:clink:

That's awesome. As for me, I could never stick with something for four years, if I didn't have the slightest interest in the subject.

Worse yet, organic chemistry.

*Pukes*

Ironically enough, an organic chemistry degree would probably get me into law school pretty fast.

Anyway - what precisely is engineering?

Now that I think about it, that'd probably be a hell of a lot easier than economics. I hate math. What was I thinking.

The field looks adaptable to practically anything. Michael Bloomberg was an engineer, wikipedia just told me.

I did Aerospace and Mechanical engineering. I basically got the principals and foundations to design and aerodynamics. When you graduate you wouldn't be expected to design an airplane, but you'd be able to join a company that does and quickly get up to speed on the different systems and controls so that you could improve them. And you learn to problem solve.
You do a lot of math in engineering and physics classes. Its definitely not exciting, but it gives you the most versatility in my opinion. It was the only thing I could really stomach. With orgo and bio classes you pretty much had to read everything. With engineering classes you had to learn how to do something and then apply that method to other things. There was a lot less memorization and reading requirements which worked well for me.

I did Aerospace and Mechanical engineering. I basically got the principals and foundations to design and aerodynamics. When you graduate you wouldn't be expected to design an airplane, but you'd be able to join a company that does and quickly get up to speed on the different systems and controls so that you could improve them. And you learn to problem solve.
You do a lot of math in engineering and physics classes. Its definitely not exciting, but it gives you the most versatility in my opinion. It was the only thing I could really stomach. With orgo and bio classes you pretty much had to read everything. With engineering classes you had to learn how to do something and then apply that method to other things. There was a lot less memorization and reading requirements which worked well for me.

Wow. I am not a math person. To me that's impressive.

I'm impressed by anyone who can master math to that degree. I can't.

It is the dirty shadows in your own mind that gave my words a different meaning.

Asshat is looking for a reaction. Ignoring ignorant racists' antics castrates their perceived power. Its better to not even dignify his stupidity with a response.

Now if for your own amusement you'd like to see him go on a rant and expose himself for the idiot he is, by all means. But you should feel no obligation to defend yourself to that antisemitic white power whore.

Asshat is looking for a reaction. Ignoring ignorant racists' antics castrates their perceived power. Its better to not even dignify his stupidity with a response.

Now if for your own amusement you'd like to see him go on a rant and expose himself for the idiot he is, by all means. But you should feel no obligation to defend yourself to that antisemitic white power whore.

All true.

"I did Aerospace and Mechanical engineering."

Holy crap! Check out the brain on Tiana!

;)

Back