Where I'm going to college

Sheesh...

I'm not even sure how double-majoring would work. Could someone educate me on it? Is that even feasible?

You can totally double major. I know people who have. It's a lot of work. It might take five years of undergrad, rather than four. But, some people do it in four.

Also, it's easier to double major, if the two majors have overlapping requirements and pre-requisites: Say, for example, physics and mathematics.

Or one is easy? Like English literature, perhaps? Is there something related to literature that will help me in getting a double major and isn't as foreign to it as economics?

*sigh*

There's no way a double-major would help me getting into law school. I just can't honestly see myself in college ONLY spending time on one of those hard-ass degrees.

Umm one thing in common with english lit and law would be Latin ?
Also it sould be nice to see a lawyer that could spell :)

Or one is easy? Like English literature, perhaps? Is there something related to literature that will help me in getting a double major and isn't as foreign to it as economics?

It just depends how motivated you are, and how hard you want to work.

You could have a double major, where they are totally unrelated. I knew a gal who was acutally a triple major: Russian-Geology-and English Lit. I mean, she was brilliant and probably had photographic memory. But, it can be done.

*sigh*

There's no way a double-major would help me getting into law school. I just can't honestly see myself in college ONLY spending time on one of those hard-ass degrees.

Ole Miss has some FINE Southern Belles. It is one of the top schools in the country for women and I'm saying this coming from USC. Now there is more to school than women (to some people) but undergraduate college is the best time of your life so you want to make the most of it.

And if you are a sports fan at all the SEC is big time and there is no better atmosphere than a fall Saturday spent watching college football in the South.

Ole Miss has some FINE Southern Belles. It is one of the top schools in the country for women and I'm saying this coming from USC. Now there is more to school than women (to some people) but undergraduate college is the best time of your life so you want to make the most of it.

And if you are a sports fan at all the SEC is big time and there is no better atmosphere than a fall Saturday spent watching college football in the South.

I don't know why, but most women from Mississippi remind me of Trent Lott.

Sheesh...

I'm not even sure how double-majoring would work. Could someone educate me on it? Is that even feasible?
Yes, it is, but it usually needs an approval upfront with specific course of instruction outlined before hand. You would need consensus and approval on the course outlines from both departments. Expect to 'lose' electives in favor of courses in major. It might also take an extra semester.

Just make sure to beat the 'dawgs. UGA(VI) is the ugliest damn thing, but he is smarter than most students and alumni, and he only drools half as much.

Last edited:
Economics isn't bad. But just keep in mind, things change and you'll want to have a degree that will guarantee you can earn a decent living when you come out. Accounting, Finance, engineering, or even nursing can secure that. Literature......not so much so. People that take economics tend to compete with finance and accounting people for entry level jobs. If you have an accounting background these days you're golden.

Personally I have an engineering background. I think you make the most money in those during your interships throughout school. I was making $17.50 during the summers plus overtime. there are people in my office even now that don't get that.

Economics isn't bad. But just keep in mind, things change and you'll want to have a degree that will guarantee you can earn a decent living when you come out. Accounting, Finance, engineering, or even nursing can secure that. Literature......not so much so. People that take economics tend to compete with finance and accounting people for entry level jobs. If you have an accounting background these days you're golden.

Personally I have an engineering background. I think you make the most money in those during your interships throughout school. I was making $17.50 during the summers plus overtime. there are people in my office even now that don't get that.

I second that, WM. Whatever branch of law you decide to work in, an undergraduate engineering and finance education will set you up nicely. In another direction, a student here graduated with a Ph.D. in microbiology, then took a law degree, and got a fantastic job with a biotech company. It all depends what you want to do. But as interesting as literature is, it won't give you the sound underpinnings that more marketable fields will do.

Last edited:
nothing is more marketable than engineering, especially not economics.
Accounting is way more marketable than economics.
Now if your talking PHD economics is very good

Yes. The military industrial complex needs liars to deny the inherent idiocies of fiat currency and fractional reserve lending.

That's what I did. My mom pressured me into majoring in Engineering when I wanted to go "Pre-Med" aka Biology. Turned out she was right. I always tell young people that when they want to go for pre-med or pre-law. My bio degree would have been useless and unimpressive in my field, but I can always say I'm a rocket scientist amongst my peers ;)

And I agree in terms of marketability engineering>accounting>finance>economics

Interesting advice ....

I started out in Pre-med also...not so hot in the higher math so I changed major(double) to History and Criminal Justice...Worked out quite well...as there will always be a need for LE and the history makes for good conversation...My GD just started a pt job with the local SO she gets $19.00 per hr without benefits...however she will get full time + benefits when she graduates from HS next year...They are going to give her a scholarship for her POST and to attend UNR for her BS in Criminal Justice...

So like so many in here have told you...find a major that relates to actual income potential!

That's what I did. My mom pressured me into majoring in Engineering when I wanted to go "Pre-Med" aka Biology. Turned out she was right. I always tell young people that when they want to go for pre-med or pre-law. My bio degree would have been useless and unimpressive in my field, but I can always say I'm a rocket scientist amongst my peers ;)

And I agree in terms of marketability engineering>accounting>finance>economics

the most important thing is to major in something that you at least can sort of like. That's more important than going for marketability.

If one major's in something they don't like, or aren't motivated in, chances are you'll flunk out, get bad grades, or just have a crap time in general.

the most important thing is to major in something that you at least can sort of like. That's more important than going for marketability.

If one major's in something they don't like, or aren't motivated in, chances are you'll flunk out, get bad grades, or just have a crap time in general.

I look at differently. I recommend taking the most marketable major you can pass and take something your passionate about as a second major or minor if you really want to study it and it doesn't coincide with your first major. It can be the difference between coming out and starting at $55K vs $30K if you don't end up going to grad school as many people end up changing their minds or decide to wait a year or two. Personally, I've been chasing the money ever since college and am even considering Law School at the point, but I'm not sure.

Gotta like what your doing.
Engineering is so hot we are starting PE's at 90,000 I'd say they do as well as the average lawyer with 3 yrs less school, a lot less competion and don't have worn legs from chasing ambulances.

Well, for undergrad I think you should go for the gusto, suck it up, study your ass off and get yourself set for your career. If you're the type that can do nursing, accounting, engineering, or another technical skill, I think you grin and bear it. Afterall, finals, mid-terms and projects are going to suck ass no matter what. I'd recommend doing something that will get you top dollar.
If your not the type who can manage to get your way through it despite not liking it that much then I wouldn't recommend it. The thing about an engineering degree, is you really can do anything in business with it if you want to. People would hire you for finance jobs, project managment, market research, trading, etc. If you have a criminal justice degree and you end up in corporate for whatever reason, you're going to really have to sell yourself.

I look at differently. I recommend taking the most marketable major you can pass and take something your passionate about as a second major or minor if you really want to study it and it doesn't coincide with your first major. It can be the difference between coming out and starting at $55K vs $30K if you don't end up going to grad school as many people end up changing their minds or decide to wait a year or two. Personally, I've been chasing the money ever since college and am even considering Law School at the point, but I'm not sure.

That's a valid point of view.

As for me...I could never make an educational decision with money and marketability being the primary deciding factor. If I didn't like what I studied, I'd probably flunk out.

Back