Who are some of your favorite guitarists all-time, in any music genre?

Yep, my guitar teacher was classical and studied with Segovia, and he loved Chet Atkins.

Chet does great takes on standards incorporating the vocal lines. For me a bit musak like sometimes.

You know who I loved as a kid? Roy Clark. I watched Hee Haw just to see him pick and grin.

Roy is (was?) Very talented as was Glen Campbell.

Chet did best i think later in his career doing projects with artists not in a C&W genre. Knopfler for example. Jyst made everything look and sound effortless.

Should have known you played given your moniker.

Forgot Robert Fripp.
And the maestro Chet Atkins.

Good choices.

Chet Atkins took Merle Travis Picking style to the stratosphere. So, I just wanted to plug Merle Travis as one of the most innovative guitarists in the art form. And then Chet Atkins was another guitar pioneering genius that included working the melody of the song with alternating bass notes and along with rhythmic chord voicing all at the same time. Chet Atkins was 3 guitar players all in one- The bass, the rhythm, and the lead guitar!

Fripp was in his own guitar world as he tuned his guitar using only 5th notes of scales as the open strings- which created some strange super melodic as well as ethereal improvisations.

Hugie Thomasson, Billy Jones and Freddie Salem were also a notable guitarists. Played for the Outlaws, then Hugie for Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Out of the dozen or so times this song has been covered, none come close to the guitar work in this version (and I hate country music!).

Good choices.

Chet Atkins took Merle Travis Picking style to the stratosphere. So, I just wanted to plug Merle Travis as one of the most innovative guitarists in the art form. And then Chet Atkins was another guitar pioneering genius that included working the melody of the song with alternating bass notes and along with rhythmic chord voicing all at the same time. Chet Atkins was 3 guitar players all in one- The bass, the rhythm, and the lead guitar!

Fripp was in his own guitar world as he tuned his guitar using only 5th notes of scales as the open strings- which created some strange super melodic as well as ethereal improvisations.

The interesting thing about Fripp is hes tone deaf. He plays exclusively by theory ergo the innovations you mention.

My guitar interests started like everyone else my age, when I saw the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show back on Feb 9th 1964. Not only did records sales mushroom from that point onward, also the sale of guitars in the world started to mushroom 10 fold. The British invasion had already brought us the Tornadoes Telstar a couple of years earlier, but even more importantly was the Shadows Apache a year previous in 1960. Americans were more familiar with the Ventures and their version of Apache.

Telstar was a huge success here, but the Shadows Apache slipped by us somehow because we here in America were already knee-deep in the hoopla of the Rock Instrumental/Surf music phenomena with Dick Dale, The Ventures, Link Ray, Duane Eddy, Bill Doggett's Honky Tonk, The Safaris, Sandy Nelson's Drums, the Chantay's and the list goes on and on.

So, Hank Marvin was a back study, but needs some kind of favorable mention as he seemed to be leading the Rock Instrumental world from the UK and we didn't even know much about his Wonderful World of guitar playing back in his heyday. Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Kieth Richards, Ritchie Blackmore and many 100's more of the British Invasion rock stars mentions Hank Marvin as their original Inspiration to play the guitar.

And since we mentioned Hank Marvin, I can only suggest that Bob Bogle and Don Wilson of the Ventures who influenced many people on this side of the pond to play guitar even before the Beatles came on the scene

The red Strat you see in the video may have been the very first Fender Guitar ever sold in the UK.

Last edited:
Back