Who are some of your favorite guitarists all-time, in any music genre?

My personal favorite is Kim Thayil of Soundgarden. Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains is another great one.

My guitar interests started like everyone else my age, when I saw the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show back on Feb 9th 1964. Not only did records sales mushroom from that point onward, also the sale of guitars in the world started to mushroom 10 fold. The British invasion had already brought us the Tornadoes Telstar a couple of years earlier, but even more importantly was the Shadows Apache a year previous in 1960. Americans were more familiar with the Ventures and their version of Apache.

Telstar was a huge success here, but the Shadows Apache slipped by us somehow because we here in America were already knee-deep in the hoopla of the Rock Instrumental/Surf music phenomena with Dick Dale, The Ventures, Link Ray, Duane Eddy, Bill Doggett's Honky Tonk, The Safaris, Sandy Nelson's Drums, the Chantay's and the list goes on and on.

So, Hank Marvin was a back study, but needs some kind of favorable mention as he seemed to be leading the Rock Instrumental world from the UK and we didn't even know much about his Wonderful World of guitar playing back in his heyday. Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Kieth Richards, Ritchie Blackmore and many 100's more of the British Invasion rock stars mentions Hank Marvin as their original Inspiration to play the guitar.

And since we mentioned Hank Marvin, I can only suggest that Bob Bogle and Don Wilson of the Ventures who influenced many people on this side of the pond to play guitar even before the Beatles came on the scene

The red Strat you see in the video may have been the very first Fender Guitar ever sold in the UK.

The tape is messed up on that like it got out in the sun.
What's that guitar player's name?

That is Brad Delp the lead singer, writer and backing guitarist in the photo.

The first Boston Platinum album was a total creation of Rock Genius Tom Scholz who produced, engineered, wrote, sang, and played all the instruments on the 1st album in his basement studio! Just like McCartney did on his first solo album!

Tom had to form a band because there was a huge demand for the band to play live concerts. So, by the time the 2nd album was being planned, he hired other musicians to play in his band.

Scholz was an MIT electronics engineer, and he also invented the stomp boxes that gave Boston their patented sound.

Last edited:
I was a bit young during the surf hay-day but I grew fond of it later...

Surf & spaghetti western sounds & many of the instrumentals in the early 60's were something I loved learning about..

There was a resurgence of surf in SF a while back

It may have been the Beatles that sparked my interest, but it was the Ventures album called "Play Guitar with The Ventures" with chord and tab sheets and backing tracks that I learned from.

R-3109842-1428636074-3590.jpeg.jpg

Back