Why Does the Global Warming Faith Claim to be Science?

No it does not.

Climates have been studied around 200 years.

Climate as it applies to Gorebal Warming has many aspects of a religion.

It has a dogma in place that says the cause of climate change is:

A. Manmade
B. CO2

All other causes are rejected or dismissed as irrelevant. The True Believers also attribute any and every weather event to Gorebal Warming. Hurricane? Gorebal Warming. Tidal surge? Gorebal Warming. Hot weather? Gorebal Warming. Drought... Well, you get the idea.

That isn't science, it's a religious-like faith that hews the same way a belief in a god does. Hurricane? God did it to punish us. See, no difference.

If you point out some other potential cause, you dismissed, often hysterically, as a lunatic or heretic. I regularly point out that contrails have been found to contribute possibly as much as 10% of warming, maybe more. That gets ranting and scathing hatred from the True Believers. It's a variant of devout Christians saying this, Al Gore said it (fill in the name with some other Gorebal Warming "expert"). I believe it. That settles it. No different from The bible says it. I believe it. That settles it. Not one iota of difference.

Climate as it applies to Gorebal Warming has many aspects of a religion.

What is "Gorebal Waming"?

It has a dogma in place that says the cause of climate change is:

How is the humans causing the climate change dogma?

All other causes are rejected or dismissed as irrelevant. The True Believers also attribute any and every weather event to Gorebal Warming. Hurricane? Gorebal Warming. Tidal surge? Gorebal Warming. Hot weather? Gorebal Warming. Drought... Well, you get the idea.

It is not a belief. You, yourself, have seen the researches.

If you point out some other potential cause, you dismissed, often hysterically, as a lunatic or heretic

Hysterically? You've lost me.

. I regularly point out that contrails have been found to contribute possibly as much as 10% of warming, maybe more. That gets ranting and scathing hatred from the True Believers. It's a variant of devout Christians saying this, Al Gore said it (fill in the name with some other Gorebal Warming "expert"). I believe it. That settles it. No different from The bible says it. I believe it. That settles it. Not one iota of difference.

Are we now discussing conspiracy theories?

Gorebal Warming is a play on words. It is a concatenation of Al Gore, high priest of global warming (before that became a pejorative and was replaced with Climate Change), or Gorebal Warming. Gorebal Warming is the religious belief that Al Gore and his ilk know everything about climate change and are to be believed regardless of how insane what they might say is.

It has religious-like aspects to it.
Please explain how Global Warming or Climate-anything is somehow not a religion. AProudLefty can't do it. All he is able to do is attempt to redefine words. Please explain how any Climate dogma differs from a science-free church sermon.

You'll notice that there is no science to support any of the published dogma, and you will find that all such-produced studies are nothing more than unsupported conclusions, usually propagating fear and panic of that particular religion's "hell"

Gorebal Warming is a play on words. It is a concatenation of Al Gore, high priest of global warming (before that became a pejorative and was replaced with Climate Change), or Gorebal Warming. Gorebal Warming is the religious belief that Al Gore and his ilk know everything about climate change and are to be believed regardless of how insane what they might say is.

The term "Climate Change" has actually been around since the 1980s and has always been the mystical, unfalsifiable religion based on righteous blends of gibberish, gobbledygook and nonsense. The dogma refers to itself as science only to poach unearned authority, because today, "religions" are considered "not real.". This is why AProudLefty fights tooth and nail to avoid the "religion" label, i.e. he knows that he would lose all of the faith's unearned authority.

Al Gore popularized the Global Warming sect for political purposes.

Well, its good then that most of us know Al Gore isn't a scientist and we don't really care what Al says. We listen to the actual professionals.

AGW is real. But by all means act like it isn't. Hope you don't have kids because they'll learn what you couldn't.

All political bullshit aside, are you really denying that mankind is inducing climate change due to industrialization, Terry? Please tell me that someone of your experience and education hasn't gone around the bend like JPP's RWNJs.

https://climate.nasa.gov/

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
There is unequivocal evidence that Earth is warming at an unprecedented rate. Human activity is the principal cause.
  • While Earth’s climate has changed throughout its history, the current warming is happening at a rate not seen in the past 10,000 years.
  • According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), "Since systematic scientific assessments began in the 1970s, the influence of human activity on the warming of the climate system has evolved from theory to established fact."1
  • Scientific information taken from natural sources (such as ice cores, rocks, and tree rings) and from modern equipment (like satellites and instruments) all show the signs of a changing climate.
  • From global temperature rise to melting ice sheets, the evidence of a warming planet abounds.

To me, the real question is whether it's still reversible or whether we've passed the tipping point.
Very little is discussed about that, and I think it's because we have passed the tipping point and nobody wants to tell us.
Can't know for sure, though.

if we've actually passed the tipping point, we last humans in the chain should be doing pretty much whatever the fuck we want.
It's too late to worry about it.

Well, its good then that most of us know Al Gore isn't a scientist and we don't really care what Al says. We listen to the actual professionals.
Why do I have this sneaking suspicion that you will only allow the "real" scientists to do your thinking for you?

AGW is real. But by all means act like it isn't. Hope you don't have kids because they'll learn what you couldn't.
Why should any rational adult believe that AGW is real, especially when you cannot even unambiguously define the term "global warming"?

To me, the real question is whether it's still reversible or whether we've passed the tipping point.
To me, the real question is WTF even IS "global warming"? It has yet to be unambiguously defined by any Church of Global Warming member... In fact, I've only ever seen one valid definition of the term "Global Warming", as follows:

The Arch-villain of the Global Warming mythology; born out of unfettered capitalism, Global Warming acquires His power from "heat" produced by Greenhouse Effect. Global Warming is constantly at war with the goddess Climate,. His favorite weapons are CO2, methane, water vapor and greenhouse gas which he feeds to Greenhouse Effect in return for more "heat" and thus more power.

Very little is discussed about that, and I think it's because we have passed the tipping point and nobody wants to tell us.
Can't know for sure, though.
What is there to discuss about an undefined buzzword? If you wish to discuss the arch-villain of the Global Warming mythology, then I'm all ears... but otherwise you've presented nothing TO discuss...

if we've actually passed the tipping point, we last humans in the chain should be doing pretty much whatever the fuck we want.
It's too late to worry about it.
The "tipping point" of WHAT?

To me, the real question is WTF even IS "global warming"?

Intelligent people use our nation's foremost science organization: NASA

There is unequivocal evidence that Earth is warming at an unprecedented rate. Human activity is the principal cause.
  • While Earth’s climate has changed throughout its history, the current warming is happening at a rate not seen in the past 10,000 years.
  • According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), "Since systematic scientific assessments began in the 1970s, the influence of human activity on the warming of the climate system has evolved from theory to established fact."1
  • Scientific information taken from natural sources (such as ice cores, rocks, and tree rings) and from modern equipment (like satellites and instruments) all show the signs of a changing climate.
  • From global temperature rise to melting ice sheets, the evidence of a warming planet abounds.

Because science until recently still had a good reputation that could be put to use by the WOKE Cult.

The existence of bad/dishonest scientists doesn't mean all scientists are bad/dishonest or that we shouldn't trust all research done by scientists.

Scientists normally avoid the term 'fact', so you'll likely never hear a scientist refer to climate change as a fact, but there appears to be a scientific basis for believing that climate change is a thing.

All political bullshit aside, are you really denying that mankind is inducing climate change due to industrialization, Terry? Please tell me that someone of your experience and education hasn't gone around the bend like JPP's RWNJs.

My point is and has been while humanity does have some effect on climate, it isn't just CO2, or even the majority CO2. As I've previously, and repeatedly, pointed out contrails represent at least 10% of that change, and possibly more. The Gorebal Warming crowd ignores that because it doesn't fit their political agenda of eliminating fossil fuel use, doesn't increase their political control, and would be easy and cost effective to implement. Worse, if they were to implement measures to reduce or eliminate contrails and that worked to slow warming significantly, it would be a disaster for the 'CO2 is the cause' crowd.

As for the IPCC, I could get better predictions from a psychic...

Every 10-ish years they predict that in 10 years we're doomed and other nonsense.

My point is and has been while humanity does have some effect on climate, it isn't just CO2, or even the majority CO2. As I've previously, and repeatedly, pointed out contrails represent at least 10% of that change, and possibly more. The Gorebal Warming crowd ignores that because it doesn't fit their political agenda of eliminating fossil fuel use, doesn't increase their political control, and would be easy and cost effective to implement. Worse, if they were to implement measures to reduce or eliminate contrails and that worked to slow warming significantly, it would be a disaster for the 'CO2 is the cause' crowd.

As for the IPCC, I could get better predictions from a psychic...

Every 10-ish years they predict that in 10 years we're doomed and other nonsense.

Nice dance, Terry. You mention CO2, blamed the libs, kept politicizing the problem and hinted at contrail conspiracy theory but, ultimately, refused to answer the question. Fine. Your choice, but don't expect me to respect your scientific expertise when it's clear you no longer have much.

Why do I have this sneaking suspicion that you will only allow the "real" scientists to do your thinking for you?

You'd be wrong. Of course because my area of expertise is earth science I've actually met many of the players and hung around with a huge number of scientists who specialize in the earth system sciences.

Why should any rational adult believe that AGW is real, especially when you cannot even unambiguously define the term "global warming"?

It's Anthropogenic Climate Change and it is defined as the effects of humans on climate. It is "change" because as the overall global temperature (as measured as an "anomaly" or temperature difference from a baseline temperature set) is INCREASING which leads to a variety of effects including local warming but also possibly even local cooling.

Let's take an example: The Gulf Stream in the Atlantic. It is part of a larger overall system of circulation in the North Atlantic. At it's northern point it goes by Greenland. As the Greenland ice sheet melts it pushes cold, fresh water into the water column and the density differential between that cold fresh water and the saline water of the ocean causes an impact on the gulf stream and the overall THERMOHALINE CIRCULATION. There's geologic evidence that this has slowed or rearranged in the past. And we see evidence that with global climate change and warming in the high latitudes as the Greenland Ice Sheet melts it IS having an effect on this circulation.

The reason I bring this up is because IF the Atlantic Thermohaline Circulation shuts down or rearranges it could very well lead to a significant COOLING in western Europe. Western Europe has a climate warmer than its latitude would suggest and that's because it is on the east side of the Atlantic and the Gulf Stream carries warm water up to that latitude.

Warm the earth --> Cool western Europe.

That's just one example. There are countless of them. But it all boils down to the fact (now very well established) that the planet IS warming and we cannot utilize natural cycles to explain the majority of the warming. But if we include forcings due to HUMAN ACTIVITIES the data makes very good sense. It explains 50% or more of the warming we've seen in the modern era.

Back