Would the US be better off without the South?

Should we let the South succeed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If your state really is becoming more educated, the reason for turning blue is clearly not immigration.

we are not becoming more educated... CO has been for quite some time. What we have seen is an increase in immigration, especially from Hispanics and peeps from CA (which is precisely what I stated)

Would love to go there.....I've heard a lot of great things about CO.....though if Damo and SF are representative of Coloradan's.......that could give one second thoughts. ;)

Idaho and Oregon are my fav's and I've been to all of em. Montana and Hawaii are high up there.

If your state really is becoming more educated, the reason for turning blue is clearly not immigration.
Sorry but SF is actually right there. Colorada isn't part of the South and has always supported public education. Their high schools currently rank 21st in the nation. Which gives them the highest education ranking of the Mountain States.

Colorada has traditionally been a western Republican State. in the 33 Presidential elections from 1876 (when CO became a State) to 2004 CO has voted Republican 22 times to 10 for Democrats. In the 40 years prior to 2008 Colorado has voted Democrat once. The biggest change in demographics in the State of CO in the last 20 years has been hispanic immigrants, who vote 70+% Democrat.

So SF is correct there. An influx of hispanc immigration and hispanic population growth is the biggest reason why Colorada has become a blue State. CO has traditionaly been a Republican State but only by a small margin. With hispanic population growth of around 10% since 2000 (the largest growing demographic in the State) and with 70+% voting Democratic that would account for Democrats slim margins of victory in 2008 & 2012.

http://www.usnews.com/education/hig...ompare-in-the-2013-best-high-schools-rankings

Sorry but SF is actually right there. Colorada isn't part of the South and has always supported public education. Their high schools currently rank 21st in the nation. Which gives them the highest education ranking of the Mountain States.

Colorada has traditionally been a western Republican State. in the 33 Presidential elections from 1876 (when CO became a State) to 2004 CO has voted Republican 22 times to 10 for Democrats. In the 40 years prior to 2008 Colorado has voted Democrat once. The biggest change in demographics in the State of CO in the last 20 years has been hispanic immigrants, who vote 70+% Democrat.

So SF is correct there. An influx of hispanc immigration and hispanic population growth is the biggest reason why Colorada has become a blue State. CO has traditionaly been a Republican State but only by a small margin. With hispanic population growth of around 10% since 2000 (the largest growing demographic in the State) and with 70+% voting Democratic that would account for Democrats slim margins of victory in 2008 & 2012.

http://www.usnews.com/education/hig...ompare-in-the-2013-best-high-schools-rankings

We have also had an influx of companies from CA, unfortunately bringing with them Californians. That said, this is still a purple state. A big chunk are and will be independents who could swing either way <insert jokes here>...

Idaho and Oregon are my fav's and I've been to all of em. Montana and Hawaii are high up there.
I've been to 38 of the 50 States but not to many of the western States and none of the Rocky Mtn States. Would definately love to visity. Same with Pacific NW.

Don't care much for trees do you? ;)

I'm sorry LR but those are two of the ugliest States I've ever been too. Must be the people, ehh?

Though I have to admit to a bias there. I don't care much for big sky country of the great plains.

Lol...once again, you've got to think about one's perspective ... Well, that and east, man, east!! I'm sitting on my porch waiting on a carburetor to soak so I can clean and rebuild it, and through all the trees viewing the pine covered forests that I love. Here, have a look:

http://www.panoramio.com/m/photo/28239816

This picture was taken ten minutes from my house. I agree with you about the rest of the state as far as beauty is concerned. You couldn't pay me enough to live out there. Kind I'd like trying to get me to live in the city...ain't happening. :)

Addendum: While I was typing this, my dog started baying something in my yard. I had to take a break and show my son a harmless spreading adder, take a picture of it and then catch the snake and remove it from my yard...before my wife encountered it and killed it. It reminded me that just because someone doesn't like something or is scared of it/them (you know, snakes, the north or the south or the black or the Indian) doesn't mean that one should wish it ill will ... or death. I won't allow poisonous snakes to live on my place but all other harmless critters are welcome. :)

I've been to 38 of the 50 States but not to many of the western States and none of the Rocky Mtn States. Would definately love to visity. Same with Pacific NW.

I've been to all of the western states and most of the southern states but only to Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York of the "Yankee" states. My bucket list includes definite visits to Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont.

We have also had an influx of companies from CA, unfortunately bringing with them Californians. That said, this is still a purple state. A big chunk are and will be independents who could swing either way <insert jokes here>...
I'd say it would be fair to say that CO is now a bellweather State politically like OH. Ohio would be a lot more blue if we blew up all the bridges on the Ohio river. The main reason Ohio is a bellweather State is because of the influx of hillbillies from appalacha who immigrate here. Once you travel north of the Franklin, county border Ohio is a pretty blue State.

Lol...once again, you've got to think about one's perspective ... Well, that and east, man, east!! I'm sitting on my porch waiting on a carburetor to soak so I can clean and rebuild it, and through all the trees viewing the pine covered forests that I love. Here, have a look:

http://www.panoramio.com/m/photo/28239816

This picture was taken ten minutes from my house. I agree with you about the rest of the state as far as beauty is concerned. You couldn't pay me enough to live out there. Kind I'd like trying to get me to live in the city...ain't happening. :)

Addendum: While I was typing this, my dog started baying something in my yard. I had to take a break and show my son a harmless spreading adder, take a picture of it and then catch the snake and remove it from my yard...before my wife encountered it and killed it. It reminded me that just because someone doesn't like something or is scared of it/them (you know, snakes, the north or the south or the black or the Indian) doesn't mean that one should wish it ill will ... or death. I won't allow poisonous snakes to live on my place but all other harmless critters are welcome. :)
Nice. I do remember that east OK is the west end of the Ozarks and the Ozarks are gorgeous oasis in a prarie desert.

There are almost always numerous factors which determine an outcome. Very simpleminded.

I've been to all of the western states and most of the southern states but only to Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York of the "Yankee" states. My bucket list includes definite visits to Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont.
I'd put West "By God" Virgina on that list too. In terms of geography it's the most beautiful State in the NE/Great Lakes region. I'd also suggest Northern, MN, WI and the UP of michigan. As an outdoorsman you'll fall head over heals in love with that region.....until winter starts.

I'd like to take the wife on like a two or three week road trip and travel to the Mtn States. With her hotel discount it would be relatively affordable to do.

As for my home State.....though I do appreciate the economic value of our western lands being some of the best agricultural lands in the world......it's boring, boring, boring.....one cornfield/soybean field/tree break after the other. It's not until you get into the Lake Erie region or the Ohio river valley that things pick up. Ohio is is a very productive land rich in mineral and agriculutral wealth and excellent transportation avenues by road, river and the great lakes and you're within a days drive to 2/3rds of the US population....which explains its great wealth for such a small State but it aint much to look at on the surface. Though it's a far cry better than the Great Plains and SW desert States.

Last edited:
Of course, I do prefer the idea that Colorado is turning more and more blue because of an influx of Hispanics.

Isn't that exactly what most sentient people have been predicting across the board and part of the exact demographic change that is relegating the R's to a party that can't win national elections - and more and more statewide?

You can call it what I do: The Fall Of the Entitled Male Whitey.

Back