Would the US be better off without the South?

Should we let the South succeed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Of course, I do prefer the idea that Colorado is turning more and more blue because of an influx of Hispanics.

Isn't that exactly what most sentient people have been predicting across the board and part of the exact demographic change that is relegating the R's to a party that can't win national elections - and more and more statewide?

You can call it what I do: The Fall Of the Entitled Male Whitey.
There is a lot of that too. LOL

I'd put West "By God" Virgina on that list too. In terms of geography it's the most beautiful State in the NE/Great Lakes region. I'd also suggest Northern, MN, WI and the UP of michigan. As an outdoorsman you'll fall head over heals in love with that region.....until winter starts.

I'd like to take the wife on like a two or three week road trip and travel to the Mtn States. With her hotel discount it would be relatively affordable to do.

As for my home State.....though I do appreciate the economic value of our western lands being some of the best agricultural lands in the world......it's boring, boring, boring.....one cornfield/soybean field/tree break after the other. It's not until you get into the Lake Erie region or the Ohio river valley that things pick up. Ohio is is a very productive land rich in mineral and agriculutral wealth and excellent transportation avenues by road, river and the great lakes and you're within a days drive to 2/3rds of the US population....which explains its great wealth for such a small State but it aint much to look at on the surface. Though it's a far cry better than the Great Plains and SW desert States.

Look at Ohio on Google Earth. Try to find something that's not a farm.

Of course, I do prefer the idea that Colorado is turning more and more blue because of an influx of Hispanics.

Isn't that exactly what most sentient people have been predicting across the board and part of the exact demographic change that is relegating the R's to a party that can't win national elections - and more and more statewide?

You can call it what I do: The Fall Of the Entitled Male Whitey.

It's kind of thrown off by the fact that so many hispanics don't bother to turn up to vote. They are one of the least likely to vote out of all demographics by a fairly large margin. That explains why Texas remains solidly Republican despite the fact that so much of its population (close to 50%) consists of hispanics that, when they actually show up at the polls, vote Democratic by larger margins than the rest of state votes Republican.

It's kind of thrown off by the fact that so many hispanics don't bother to turn up to vote. They are one of the least likely to vote out of all demographics by a fairly large margin. That explains why Texas remains solidly Republican despite the fact that so much of its population (close to 50%) consists of hispanics that, when they actually show up at the polls, vote Democratic by larger margins than the rest of state votes Republican.

Are all the 50% of Hispanics in the state eligible to vote?

Thrilling Ohio!

iDiLFJGSF0XtR.png

No one does irrigation ditches quite like Ohio!

Close to 50% of the population of Texas consists of Hispanic US Citizens. Illegal immigrants mostly head to big cities, they do not stay around the border. That would be stupid.

""Estimating where exactly illegal immigrants reside in the United States is tricky, but the Pew Hispanic Center did just that in 2011 for each state. Although California has the highest number of illegal immigrants, Nevada has the largest proportion of illegal immigrants—7.2 percent of the state population and as much as 10 percent of its workforce. California and Texas follow at just under 7 percent of their populations, with New Jersey and Arizona rounding out the top five.""

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ap_illegal_immigrant_population_by_state.html

""Estimating where exactly illegal immigrants reside in the United States is tricky, but the Pew Hispanic Center did just that in 2011 for each state. Although California has the highest number of illegal immigrants, Nevada has the largest proportion of illegal immigrants—7.2 percent of the state population and as much as 10 percent of its workforce. California and Texas follow at just under 7 percent of their populations, with New Jersey and Arizona rounding out the top five.""

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ap_illegal_immigrant_population_by_state.html

I could show you the original 538 article if you feel like it, your point was addressed in it. However, I am too tired to do so, even though it would take five seconds of googling.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/07/30/1114634/-Projecting-Texas-The-Coming-Democratic-Plurality

O
ne of the main factors is that the latino demographic skews very young, a lot of latinos aren't even old enough to vote. Only 10%-15% of the hispanic population is undocumented, the turnout numbers are much more dismal than that. The precise number is 38%, which almost matches the white population. Take out the undocumented, and you maybe have 35%. It's not a huge difference. It's a number that doesn't lag that far behind the white population, at 45%. But Latino turnout is something like 25% of the population, way undershooting the number of latino's who are US citizens.

Back