Would the US be better off without the South?

Should we let the South succeed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here's another one for ya:

Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary

Redneck - n (1830) : a white member of the Southern rural laboring class -- sometimes used disparagingly

It would seem that you are wanting to grab onto the "sometimes" part and make it an "all the time" thing. It simply isn't by folks down here. Believe me, I am educated but I certainly relate better to the "laboring class" than to the Frasier Crane types. Maybe it's because I was the first person from my family to go to college and get a degree, and then did it again but I never forgot my roots. I don't want my son to be ignorant of where he came from either. While he has an easier childhood than I had, I make sure he knows how to labor and play...stack brush, haul hay, swim in the creek, eventually hiring out to the various farmers and ranchers and work for minimum wage ... or less. I even make him go to church every Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday night. It was a good way to grow up and has contributed greatly to making me the person I am today. I am happy to be associated with the "rednecks."
Sorry LR but you're rationalizing. What you're saying is that you're co-opting a term that is a pejorative. That makes as much sense as African Americans co-opting the word niger.

You sure about that? My 40K a year down here allows me to live a lifestyle about like a Yankee making twice as much. And I don't have to live around so many idiots and foul mouthed people (not that we don't have our fair share). :) It's all about perspective.
Bullshit! Our sheep are waaaaaay prettier than yours!!

Yea .. here's grandma's southern recipe for hog jaws and grits .. yea .. all you normal folks .. yea.

He's an extremist and we gotta weed him out so we can all have a political discourse .. yea.

Hopple .. you the most smartest normal folk I ever read ... yea.

Hog jaws and grits from grandma's southern recipe book .. yea.

Meh, not sure I'm following ya here. If you mean that I shouldn't get a recipe from Mott because he's a lefty then we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't hate those with whom I disagree. And it's hog jowls, not jaws. And grandma didn't use many recipes.

Sorry LR but you're rationalizing. What you're saying is that you're co-opting a term that is a pejorative. That makes as much sense as African Americans co-opting the word niger.

Well, we'll just have to disagree here. I think the success of Foxworthy is due to so many of us knowing people just like that (well, maybe not just like, but close) with whom we've grown up. If offense were taken, if redneck were the same as niger to the people laughing at his stuff he would have been so successful.

Now I will give you that stuff like "My Big Redneck Wedding, My Big Redneck Vacation and Honey Booboo ... Ugh! I can't watch that stuff. That's not representative of the culture of most folks (some but not most) here and does nothing but promote the stereotype some seem to have.

I submit that folks have taken a word that described hardworking people (whether they were sharecroppers or miners) from the south and they have made it a pejorative. That wasn't its original meaning.

Meh, not sure I'm following ya here. If you mean that I shouldn't get a recipe from Mott because he's a lefty then we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't hate those with whom I disagree. And it's hog jowls, not jaws. And grandma didn't use many recipes.

I think anyone who posts that we eat "hog jaws" is not allowed to speak for southerners.

Well, we'll just have to disagree here. I think the success of Foxworthy is due to so many of us knowing people just like that (well, maybe not just like, but close) with whom we've grown up. If offense were taken, if redneck were the same as niger to the people laughing at his stuff he would have been so successful.

Now I will give you that stuff like "My Big Redneck Wedding, My Big Redneck Vacation and Honey Booboo ... Ugh! I can't watch that stuff. That's not representative of the culture of most folks (some but not most) here and does nothing but promote the stereotype some seem to have.

I submit that folks have taken a word that described hardworking people (whether they were sharecroppers or miners) from the south and they have made it a pejorative. That wasn't its original meaning.
Sorry....Pryor and Rock do (did) the same thing. That boat don't float. As a person raised on a farm and who lived over 25 years in rural areas, no way am I a redneck. I reject that term. I'm better than that. I was raised to be better than that. A redneck is a pejorative that makes a caricature of rural people.

You'd probably like the pinakbet recipe if you like vegetarian food. Silly Rabbits comments are irrelevent cause pinakbet is a peasant dish native to the Ilocos region of the Philippines. Kinda like chicken & dumplings are in my stomping grounds.

Hobel and Winterborn are Marxists, globalist collectivists and secular humanists who are trying to destroy western Christian civilization and you're helping them do it because YOU want to sit down and have a political discourse with the enemies of liberty after you out me as an extremist.

These are your political love interests, this collection of progressive Marxists who are undermining everything the American republic was supposed to stand for. But you persist with your political lovemaking with your stupid recepies and your kowtowing to the leftists that you admire and normalize because of your reminiscing of your old democratic party's communist progressive transformation.

Continue on with this folksy relationship you have going with your board examples of admiration. There is no discourse or compromise available with people who want nothing short of total victory and I strongly suspect you already know this anyway.

Hobel and Winterborn are Marxists, globalist collectivists and secular humanists who are trying to destroy western Christian civilization and you're helping them do it because YOU want to sit down and have a political discourse with the enemies of liberty after you out me as an extremist.

These are your political love interests, this collection of progressive Marxists who are undermining everything the American republic was supposed to stand for. But you persist with your political lovemaking with your stupid recepies and your kowtowing to the leftists that you admire and normalize because of your reminiscing of your old democratic party's communist progressive transformation.

Continue on with this folksy relationship you have going with your board examples of admiration. There is no discourse or compromise available with people who want nothing short of total victory and I strongly suspect you already know this anyway.
Silly Rabbit is off his lithium again.

I am a "...Marxists, globalist collectivists and secular humanists who are trying to destroy western Christian civilization" ??

You either need to stop doing drugs or get back on your medications.

When you have something to add based on actual facts, let me know. So far you are just spouting nonsense.

You have not been interested in discourse since you got here. Your MO is to launch some personal attack (based on your own imagination) and completely skip discussing the actual topic. I've had houseplants with better debate skills.

So anyways back to my main point of discussion. If southerners truly reject the radicalism of their politicians, if they reject their racial code language, if they reject their undermining public education, if they reject not investing in public infrastructure, if they reject military adventurism, if they reject predatory business practices that hurt the nation then why do Southerners keep continuing, year after year, decade after decade, generation after generation, continue to elect politicians who have these values that are dragging down the rest of this nation?

I have not heard one southerner address these questions.

I am a "...Marxists, globalist collectivists and secular humanists who are trying to destroy western Christian civilization" ??

You either need to stop doing drugs or get back on your medications.

When you have something to add based on actual facts, let me know. So far you are just spouting nonsense.
Uh.....duh! Come one WB, ignore silly rabbit. He's hijacking the conversation with his inanity. Back to the topic.

You have not been interested in discourse since you got here. Your MO is to launch some personal attack (based on your own imagination) and completely skip discussing the actual topic. I've had houseplants with better debate skills.
WTF! That's a horrible thing to say about plants! They deserve far more credit for their debating skills than that!!!

I think anyone who posts that we eat "hog jaws" is not allowed to speak for southerners.

Why don't you stop your phony, folksy, down home act, you progressive big government Marxist.

You and Hobel are progressive global Marxists and your new south progressive vision is real indeed but your calculations of the southern people being with you and opposing me is another false mantra of propaganda you try to present. This aged to perfection democrat fool who is certainly no Thomas Jefferson democrat or Andy Jackson democrat can kowtow to you and your lot confident he's on a winning team of collectivist victory all he wants.

You're no friend of the south and no friend of liberty, you're quite the opposite. And Hobel your pal who is a progressive Marxist only justifies what and who you really are going by your select list of progressive, Marxist peers and admirers.

You are and remain a scalawag as a new south progressive Marxist so cut the folksy down south routine. Your home is the communist university reeducation camp, not the southern culture you resent.

Why don't you stop your phony, folksy, down home act, you progressive big government Marxist.

You and Hobel are progressive global Marxists and your new south progressive vision is real indeed but your calculations of the southern people being with you and opposing me is another false mantra of propaganda you try to present. This aged to perfection democrat fool who is certainly no Thomas Jefferson democrat or Andy Jackson democrat can kowtow to you and your lot confident he's on a winning team of collectivist victory all he wants.

You're no friend of the south and no friend of liberty, you're quite the opposite. And Hobel your pal who is a progressive Marxist only justifies what and who you really are going by your select list of progressive, Marxist peers and admirers.

You are and remain a scalawag as a new south progressive Marxist so cut the folksy down south routine. Your home is the communist university reeducation camp, not the southern culture you resent.

I am a friend of the truth. If you would care to provide any evidence that I am any of the things you claim, I would be happy to see them. Otherwise, you are a troll.

hey needledick ,

you are insane.

go get help

you are delusional.

You live in a world that is NOT real.

you live in a bubble.

the country is NOT what you think it is.

step out into the REAL USA and get your ass back into the melting pot.

You see when your a melting pot country that does not mean only the new people go into the pot.

It means we forever live in a pot and forever are exchanging with the contents of the pot.

If that sounds scary to you then GET THE FUCK OUT

you are only one tiny speck in the pot.

live with democracy or get the fuck OUT

So anyways back to my main point of discussion. If southerners truly reject the radicalism of their politicians, if they reject their racial code language, if they reject their undermining public education, if they reject not investing in public infrastructure, if they reject military adventurism, if they reject predatory business practices that hurt the nation then why do Southerners keep continuing, year after year, decade after decade, generation after generation, continue to elect politicians who have these values that are dragging down the rest of this nation?

I have not heard one southerner address these questions.

Come on, Mott. I have posted many, many times condemning racism, the use of the military for bullshit reason, and the lack of investment in infrastructure.

I have condemned the elected officials in the south and elsewhere for many, many reasons.

What I have not done is feed the stereotype and consider it factual.

Back