Would the US be better off without the South?

Should we let the South succeed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I lived in Louisiana for about a year...hotter than hell, mosquitoes the size of hummingbirds....but they do know how to party down there.

I like the Western part of NC.....love moseying on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and I go to an Americana music festival in Wilkesboro every couple years...the people are nice there too. Spent some time in Asheville too...very progressive city....liked it a lot.

Yes, there are things to like about the South. I don't have a problem with it the way some do.

Bigger than Alaska skitters? Woowee!

I lived in Louisiana for about a year...hotter than hell, mosquitoes the size of hummingbirds....but they do know how to party down there.

I like the Western part of NC.....love moseying on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and I go to an Americana music festival in Wilkesboro every couple years...the people are nice there too. Spent some time in Asheville too...very progressive city....liked it a lot.

Yes, there are things to like about the South. I don't have a problem with it the way some do.

Weather wise, the reverse can be said about the bone chilling cold in the upper midwest and NE during the winters. There are predominantly good people in every state I have been to (49) and there are a few a-holes. There are pro's and con's to living in each state. Yet people like Mutt want to try and pretend their lifestyles are superior, when in reality we each have our own personal preferences that bias our views. I do not like the humidity... thus I live in a dry state. I love the mountains and in exchange give up the ocean (which I love to visit, but would not trade for the mountains). Those states that have mountains on top of the Ocean are too humid for my taste. I prefer to live in the suburbs where my condo has more bang for the buck than downtown. Others choose to live closer to the amenities of DT and trade that for living space.

There are trade offs everywhere. That is why it annoys me when people disparage an entire region. That said, is perfectly acceptable to disparage Ohio as that is the shit stain of America. ;)

Weather wise, the reverse can be said about the bone chilling cold in the upper midwest and NE during the winters. There are predominantly good people in every state I have been to (49) and there are a few a-holes. There are pro's and con's to living in each state. Yet people like Mutt want to try and pretend their lifestyles are superior, when in reality we each have our own personal preferences that bias our views. I do not like the humidity... thus I live in a dry state. I love the mountains and in exchange give up the ocean (which I love to visit, but would not trade for the mountains). Those states that have mountains on top of the Ocean are too humid for my taste. I prefer to live in the suburbs where my condo has more bang for the buck than downtown. Others choose to live closer to the amenities of DT and trade that for living space.

There are trade offs everywhere. That is why it annoys me when people disparage an entire region. That said, is perfectly acceptable to disparage Ohio as that is the &$@% stain of America. ;)

Ding, ding, ding ... We have a winner.

The South will never rise again, they depend way too much on Federal money given to them via the wealthier New England states.
Absolutely true. That's why the secession thing is a pipe dream. If the South seceded they'd have form their own federal government, raise taxes, provide social services and all those other things they hate.

you didn't build that.....
Not by myself I didn't. I had a lot of help from my neighbors and parents and teachers, mentors and public officials who, like me, actually support their State and community and don't mooch off the rest of the nation for support. You're right. I couldn't have done it with out them.

No, sometimes idiots (you) just claim inconvenient truths are not true because they cant handle the truth.
Amen. What's really stupid is that he wants to blow off some pretty hard facts by just marginalizing me as a North East Elitist. I mean he hasn't picked up that my criticisms with the South has nothing to do with Republicans or conservatives. I have no issues with Republicans per se. Hell Republicans are fine as long as they stick to fiscal conservatism and humping in mish. It's southern radicalization being projected into the rest of the nation and holding this nation down both culturally and economically that I'm concerned about.

Come on LR...whatsamatter? You afraid of a little cold weather? ;)

Nope. As a matter of fact I am still young enough (at heart anyway ;)) that I prefer good winter weather in season. I could definitely live in a northern state as long as the setting was rural, had some good access to public land for hunting and fishing, and my neighbors didn't mind my occasional target practice off my back porch. :)

That's because SF is being obtuse (surprise, surprise) or dishonest again. Across the board the south trails behind the rest of the nation in the major quality of life factors as health, family life, community life, material well being, political stability, job security, political freedom and gender equity. I'll be generous and give the south climate/geography. That's one out of the 9 major quality of life factors in the Souths favor mainly cause it's about the only one they can't fuck up!

So lets go down that objective list.

Health. The south leads the nation in the incidence of obesity, heart disease, cancer and diabetes and has the highest child mortality rate in the nation.

Family life - The south has the highest divorce rates in the nation.

Community life - The south systematically refuses to invest in community infrastructure such as education, public utilities, roads, public health, etc.

Material well being - The highest rates of poverty in the nation are in the South.

Political Stability - The south is the most politically corrupt region in the US.

Job Security - The south has systematically undermined workers rights. Most right to work States are southern.

Political Freedom - No region puts as much obstacles in the paths of minorities to fair political represntation as the south does.

Gender equity - The south has consistantly fought and denied women their reproductive rights and resist equal pay measures for women.

Climate/Geography - OK....I'll give that to some of the southern States but not across the board. Florida is a fucking swamp. I'd take a bitter cold Ohio winter any day over a Texas summer and the Mississippi delta region blows chunks big time but for the sake of argument I'll give you climate/geography.

So of the 9 objective quality of life criteria I listed the South trails the rest of the nation in 8 of those objective quality of life criteria. So yes, by the objective measures listed above, the South, as a region, has a lower quality of life than the rest of the nation does.

Last edited:
Amen. What's really stupid is that he wants to blow off some pretty hard facts by just marginalizing me as a North East Elitist. I mean he hasn't picked up that my criticisms with the South has nothing to do with Republicans or conservatives. I have no issues with Republicans per se. Hell Republicans are fine as long as they stick to fiscal conservatism and humping in mish. It's southern radicalization being projected into the rest of the nation and holding this nation down both culturally and economically that I'm concerned about.

LMAO... I addressed each one of your OPINIONS... you know the stuff you pulled from your ass. I also refuted your position with actual facts. All of which you have ignored. I also did not address party, but referred to your attitude towards the south as a whole as a typical northern elitist.

That's because SF is being obtuse (surprise, surprise) or dishonest again. Across the board the south trails behind the rest of the nation in such quality of life factors as Health, Family life, community life, material well being, political stability, job security, political freedom and gender equity. I'll be generous and give the south climate/geography. That's one out of the 9 major quality of life factors in the Souths favor mainly cause it's about the only one they can't fuck up!

Again, you continue stating such things but have yet to show any data that supports it. Show us where job security is less in the south than it is in the NE (or upper midwest where you live). Show us where gender equity is different. Community life, family life, health... show us your stats on these as well. As for political freedom and stability... that is truly comical... but do go ahead and back up those assertions as well.

Back