2016 College Football

Really on #4? If anyone doesn't believe in the SEC bias in the media wants to pull their blinders off now is the time to do it. The SEC east is a joke. Everyone is so bad that Kentucky has a shot at winning the east. Alabama is a great team and I wouldn't argue their #1 ranking. Till someone knocks them off I'm ok with that but after Alabama it's not just a step down. It's a fall off of a cliff. The next best team is Texas A&M. A team who's biggest signature game this year was a 19 point road loss to Alabama. If TAMU was in the Big 10 they would be the 6th best team behind OSU, Mich, PSU, Nebraska and Wisconsin. Yet there they are #4 in the playoff poll.

There is no question that this year the Big 10 and the ACC are clearly superior from top to bottom than the SEC is based on the play on the field and non-conference competition. Certainly Alabama is a great team but that does not warrant perpetuating a mythology when there are far more deserving teams than TAMU. If that isn't bad enough Florida and Auburn are set up in the polling to leap frog over TAMU if they should stumble and those two two loss teams win out. This is a complete and total travesty and the PlayOff committee, the SEC and ESPN should be called out on it.

To make my point perfectly clear. With only 4 teams in the playoff any team that does not win their conference has not earned the right to compete in the playoff and stacking the playoffs with two SEC teams (or from any conference) to improve ESPN's (or any media outlet) bottom line is frreakin reprehensible.

I agreed that Teaxs A&M had no business being ranked where it was. But what about Michigan? To be ranked #3 when they were undefeated was great. Then they lose to an unranked team. And where are they ranked? #3. Lose to a lesser opponent and no change in rankings? How the hell does that work?

I agreed that Teaxs A&M had no business being ranked where it was. But what about Michigan? To be ranked #3 when they were undefeated was great. Then they lose to an unranked team. And where are they ranked? #3. Lose to a lesser opponent and no change in rankings? How the hell does that work?
Beats me. To be honest it won't matter if they lose to OSU then they're out. If they beat OSU they have their fate in their own hand. Not so with OSU.

Beats me. To be honest it won't matter if they lose to OSU then they're out. If they beat OSU they have their fate in their own hand. Not so with OSU.

I have a hypothetical situation for you. Suppose OSU beats Michigan and Penn State does not lose another game. Penn State and OSU would each have 1 conference loss. But Penn State won the head-to-head, so they would be in the Big 10 conference championship game. Ohio State would still be ranked #2.

Does OSU go to the playoffs without winning their conference? (this is me fucking with you, my friend)

I heard that Les Miles from LSU is a top contender for the open Baylor coaching job. That could be exactly what they need to start moving forward again from all that scandal.

I have a hypothetical situation for you. Suppose OSU beats Michigan and Penn State does not lose another game. Penn State and OSU would each have 1 conference loss. But Penn State won the head-to-head, so they would be in the Big 10 conference championship game. Ohio State would still be ranked #2.

Does OSU go to the playoffs without winning their conference? (this is me fucking with you, my friend)
I would say they haven't earned a trip to the playoff but thanks to the SEC that's not what the rules currently are. :)

OSU needs help and Louisville losing tonight was a big step in the right direction. For all intents and purposes OSU need Bama to win out and either Clemson or Washington to lose a game and their in at the #4 spot. Bama losing the SEC championship game would make a royal mess of things. Bama could lose to Auburn but win the SEC championship game and their in.

If Texas fires Charlie Strong do you think he should go there over Oregon?

F Texass. But, yeah, it's technically the better job. I always encourage coaches to lend their efforts to northern teams, and to fight for America, but, the money is good at Austin...

I would say they haven't earned a trip to the playoff but thanks to the SEC that's not what the rules currently are. :)

OSU needs help and Louisville losing tonight was a big step in the right direction. For all intents and purposes OSU need Bama to win out and either Clemson or Washington to lose a game and their in at the #4 spot. Bama losing the SEC championship game would make a royal mess of things. Bama could lose to Auburn but win the SEC championship game and their in.

The SEC wrote the rules?

If Bama loses the SEC Championship game, I am hiding in shame. The SEC East is a mess.

F Texass. But, yeah, it's technically the better job. I always encourage coaches to lend their efforts to northern teams, and to fight for America, but, the money is good at Austin...

Who wants Miles as a head coach? Yeah, he has won plenty of games. But he has lost plenty in ridiculous ways. The fact that Ed Ogeron has the team playing much better speaks volumes.

The SEC wrote the rules?

If Bama loses the SEC Championship game, I am hiding in shame. The SEC East is a mess.

The SEC refused to sign on to the playoff initially unless the rules were changed as at they were originally drafted only conference champions could be selected. The SEC wanted the playoff committee to be able to pick multiple teams from the same conference if the committee thought they were the best teams.

The irony here is that it may be the Big 10 to be the first conference with more than one team in the playoff. I personally don't like it. I'm not interested in someones subjective opinion on who the best team is. Only conference champions should be selected. Anyone else has not earned it.

Last edited:
Who wants Miles as a head coach? Yeah, he has won plenty of games. But he has lost plenty in ridiculous ways. The fact that Ed Ogeron has the team playing much better speaks volumes.
Not only that he's a Michigan man. Eveyone knows that Ohio coaches are way better. Just ask Bama fans. ;)

The SEC refused to sign on to the playoff initially unless the rules were changed as at they were originally drafted only conference champions could be selected. The SEC wanted the playoff committee to be able to pick multiple teams from the same conference if the committee thought they were the best teams.

The irony here is that it may be the Big 10 to be the first conference with more than one team in the playoff. I personally don't like it. I'm not interested in someones subjective opinion on who the best team is. Only conference champions should be selected. Anyone else has not earned it.

I'm not sure about that, Mott. Yes, the conference champions are usually the best. But, obviously, that is not always the case. I doubt anyone thinks that Penn State is the best team, but they will likely play in the conference championship game.

I'm not sure about that, Mott. Yes, the conference champions are usually the best. But, obviously, that is not always the case. I doubt anyone thinks that Penn State is the best team, but they will likely play in the conference championship game.
If Ohio State beats Michigan and PennState beats MSU and the Big10 championship who cares who thinks whom is the better team? PSU will have earned it.

I mean I have no doubt that last season OSU was one of the top 4 teams and one the few with a realistic chance of beating Bama but we didn't earn it.

Well, this year you survived MSU. Barely.
A wins a win and Meyer's team tend to struggle in bad weather for some reason. Lord knows they get plenty of opportunity to practice in it so what's up with that?

Looks like OSU can make it into the playoff. To do so they obviously have to beat Michigan and hope that Washington loses a game. If Washington wins out then OSU is toast and the playoff will be;

#1. SEC Champ.
#2. ACC Champ.
#3. Big 10 Champ.
#4. Pac 10 Champ.

Michigan and Washington can make their job a lot easier by winning out. Ohio State and Alabama can make things a lot more difficult by OSU beating Mich and Alabama losing the SEC Championship game. A lot of football left to be played. No telling for sure what will happen. I'll root for my Buckeyes if they beat Michigan and get selected but I won't cry if they don't get selected.

Back