240 lb Woman Worries About Going Hungry

Umm bad credit practices and lazy inheritors just wanting money are a bigger cause of the family farms dying out.

Do you not realize the impact a megafarm has on family owned farms usc? Bad credit practices? Not in our case or the case of many other family owned farms in the area at the time. The megafarm took all the competition away, they were so cheap because it didn't cost them near as much to produce.

Do you not realize the impact a megafarm has on family owned farms usc? Bad credit practices? Not in our case or the case of many other family owned farms in the area at the time. The megafarm took all the competition away, they were so cheap because it didn't cost them near as much to produce.

Many factors.
Illegal immigrant labor.
Small farms cannot afford to rent congressmen.
Tax structures.
Urban sprawl eating up the small farms.

I seriously doubt your region's farms grow citrus, nuts, avocados, grapes, strawberries, artichoke. And I doubt you can grow anything in the winter.

If you want to cut off subsizdized water, soil and pest management pracitices, and cash subsidies to california farmers, you'll put them out of business...and you'll have nothing to eat over the winter months!

:)

Never heard of the art of canning? Seriously, you guys are reaching to try and make it seem like I would starve without farm subsidies and so would everyone else, but it's simply not true.

I think some of you are not understanding what is really going on in these homes. I have been poor and there are times when you look at the money you have left and the amount of people you have to have walk away with a full belly and walk the aisles and realise that instant mashed potatoes frozen corn and the cheapest ass hamburger (loads of fat in it) Is what you will be able to fill all the tummies with and have it cost less than anything else.

Now when you HAVE to fill the kids up with SOMETHING this minute ,this day so they can sleep you do JUST THAT!

Then you hope that tomorrow you will have more money and be able to treat them with fruit. Then tomorrow you only have enough for the cheap ass meal again.

This stuff will also become their comfort food , the food they are used to. They wont KNOW how to cook anything else and they will love it because it is designed to make your taste buds happy .It cost the corporation very little to produce and gives them a great profit margin.

It makes the people who have to eat it fat, tired and much less healthy.

Last edited:
I think some of you are not understanding what is really going on in these homes. I have been poor and there are times when you look at the money you have left and the amount of people you have to have walk away with a full belly and walk the aisles and realise that instant mashed potatoes frozen corn and the cheapest ass hamburger (loads of fat in it) Is what you will be able to fill all the tummies with and have it cost less than anything else.

Now when you HAVE to fill the kids up with SOMETHING this minute ,this day so they can sleep you do JUST THAT!

Then you hope that tomorrow you will have more money and be able to treat them with fruit. Then tomorrow you only have enough for the cheap ass meal again.

This stuff will also become their comfort food , the food they are used to. They wont KNOW how to cook anything else and they will love it because it is designed to make your taste buds happy .It cost the corporation very little to produce and gives them a great profit margin.

It's the 'I need to eat now and what will fill me up' mentality these people have. They lack caring for the long-term health because they have to focus on right now. There is a problem with their decision making because they feel like they have to get the most filling food for right now and cheap. McDonald's $1.00 Double cheeseburgers sound cheap, but I had a pot pie today cheaper than that.

Desh, I agree its not a black and white issue. Obviously something is going on with our nation and culture, that can't simply be attributed to "lazy, poor people". Europeans and Japanese do not have obesity problems of the same magnitude, and they have poor people too. Its probably a combination of factors; not just simply "laziness".

I am being serious, but with me there is little difference as to the source, it is still correct :D

I guess being from a farming family living in the Midwest make me feel differently on the issue because I see we have the capability to feed our nation with healthy foods without relying on imports.

I guess being from a farming family living in the Midwest make me feel differently on the issue because I see we have the capability to feed our nation with healthy foods without relying on imports.

We have the capability to do lots of wonderful things, but do we have the resolve and will to do it ?

My area is AG based, and I have a small farm and am working on being as self sufficient as possible.
I know what is in my food if I raise it.

It's not hard..........

It just takes planning...ya the local rural Markets just stock the basics...some fresh available..in a pinch...I shop twice a month in town...the big city...Reno and Carson City...stock up...and makeup is not a big issue as the kids(girls) told me they also plan ahead! must admit though that I live in a reasonable rural area just 18 minutes from Carson City...and only 25 minutes from Reno...l
:cof1:

Back