Buying a sports car

How about an older used car? I had a '76 Triumph TR-6 before I joined the Navy. You have to adjust the dual carbs more often than I liked, but on curvy roads that car would handle like it was on a rail. Not so great in snow & ice though.

How about an older used car? I had a '76 Triumph TR-6 before I joined the Navy. You have to adjust the dual carbs more often than I liked, but on curvy roads that car would handle like it was on a rail. Not so great in snow & ice though.
I am definitely considering a used car but not a late model one. As I stated in my OP....I'm not a wrench turner so I do not want or need a project car.

Now as far as roadsters go....no car gets more fun and smiles for the buck as a roadster does. They are a blast.....but they are also toys. There's little practicality in one. Even taking one on an over night road trip can be a pain cause most have little to no cargo space. They also are not ideal for commuting or driving in Ohio winter or wet weather. I have looked at several roadsters and this is my evaluation;

Mazda Miata MX5. Leads the pack in roadsters. A blast to drive, very reliable, upgradable and modifiable, low cost to own. Down side - low power.

Saturn Sky Redline/Opal GT - way more powerful than the Miata, handling though is neutral compared to the Miata. No longer produced by GM though existing warranties are respected but spare parts in the future could be an issue. Virtually no cargo space when roof is down. Convertible roof is poorly designed. It also has reliability issues.

BMW Z3/4 - Super refined, great handling, reasonable cargo space for a roadster and decent power. Very high cost to own with questionable reliability.

If I was going to get a roadster it would be a toy like a Harley....I would definitely go with a used Miata. You can get a used GT version with a race tuned chassis for around $18K. It's not quite as useless as a motorcycle in the winter time but not far off. If I was into racing though.....I'd buy a Miata and get into SCCA Miata spec racing. It's the only form of auto racing that I could afford.

Probably not going for a roadster.

I'm definitely leaning towards a rally car or a hot hatch

Hard to not like poster.
I don't get it. I don't get the obsession with trucks. I'd far more rather ride my bicycle than drive a truck. Being behind the wheel of something big and powerful doesn't thrill me one bit. It's just work to me. I want to go fast! :)

I can remember when I was living in Arkansas a co-worker offered to sell me his pick up and I said "Why would I want a pick up?" and you could have sworn by every ones reaction that I has just blasphemed against the Virgin Mary or something.

Fuck your image sheeplover.
Put your money where it can help your fellow Anericans.
You remember those poor bastards don't you?
They were the working back bone of the country until it became OK to drive Jap trash.
Buy a fucking Volt or if you really want to be a hero get a Bolt. At over 50KVA that is good for 200 mile trips for about 30K.
Then, if you are smart enough you can install solar panels to charge the thing and truly help national security.
Buying some high winding Jap duster with no remedial value isn't going to help your bottom line either.
This is your chance to start turning your life around.

Do the right thing Mott.
Just being from Ohio doesn't let you off the hook.

They were the working back bone of the country until it became OK to drive Jap trash.
Buy a fucking Volt or if you really want to be a hero get a Bolt. At over 50KVA that is good for 200 mile trips for about 30K.
Then, if you are smart enough you can install solar panels to charge the thing and truly help national security.
Buying some high winding Jap duster with no remedial value isn't going to help your bottom line either.

Do the right thing Mott.

By the way,
The Subaru blowing off the Mustang isn't close to stock so your dollar comparisons are bogus.

I don't get it. I don't get the obsession with trucks. I'd far more rather ride my bicycle than drive a truck. Being behind the wheel of something big and powerful doesn't thrill me one bit. It's just work to me. I want to go fast! :)

Missed the point conehead.
The point was Ford, Chevy, Dodge.
And while friends don't let friends drive Dodges, Fords are just Fucked Over Rebuilt Dodges so your choice is clear; Chevy.

LOL Been there done that. I'd rather have a minivan than a pick up. Made mine a party vehicle. Was great for long trips (if you were a passenger). The misses and I would go out partying with other couples we know on trips to Chicago, Cleveland, Charlotte and the girls would wear sexy outfits and we'd go out on road trips partying or to concerts, ball games, clubbing, etc. Had a lot of fun in that minivan. :) It wasn't exactly fun to drive. Not as much work as driving a pick up but not bad.

Work as driving a Pick up Truck?
:facepalm:
I have a four door 1/2 ton 4WD
Chevy. It has an automagic trans,
the same interior as a Suburban
loves to do highway driving and can still haul a load of tools in the bed.
It isn't "hard to drive".
WTF you talking 'bout Willis?

Do the right thing Mott.

Yeah, it's not like Toyota or Mazda or Hyundai have plants in America or get their parts made here or anything. I mean, I have to fly out every fucking day to Japan to check/certify/prototype their parts. It's a real pain in the ass.

Do the right thing Mott.
Fuck that goody two shoes shit. I get my fill of that everyday at work. I do more to help people and keep the environment clean in a typical day than most people will do in a life time. I've had nearly 30 years of doing the right thing. Fuck that shit. I WANT A FUCKING SPORTS CAR!!!!

I don't want a fucking truck I don't need and can't use and I aint buying some stupid hybrid or electric car cause some uninformed tree huggers think they're accomplishing something by buying one.

Now if you're admonishing me to buy a "Made in the USA" sports car I am sympathetic to that. As the fuel efficient, high performance Focus ST MADE IN DETROIT....is high on my list but half it's parts probably come from all over the planet so it's probably impossible to make you happy.

Last edited:
By the way,
The Subaru blowing off the Mustang isn't close to stock so your dollar comparisons are bogus.
Yea....it was stock. The WRX weighs about 1500 lbs less than the Stang, has AWD so it's faster off the line and through the corners and it has a rally car chassis so handles changing road conditions better. It also brakes better due to it's lighter weight. In a qtr mile drag it beats the Stang. In a mile drag race stang wins. On a road track, street course or auto-cross it beats the Shelby GT. STOCK!

Yeah, it's not like Toyota or Mazda or Hyundai have plants in America or get their parts made here or anything. I mean, I have to fly out every fucking day to Japan to check/certify/prototype their parts. It's a real pain in the ass.

Sure they have low paying plants down south but;
They don't offer any competition for the Volt or the Bolt
And the profits are all shipped to the Bank of Japan instead of local shareholders.

The main thing you and Mott are missing though is that this is a chance to kill a few birds with one stone;
1 The Volt is a very powerful car. (Deals with mid-Mott crisis)
2. Good step toward improving Mott's bottom line between fuel savings, lower upkeep and much longer lifespan of electric vehicle (huge smug factor)
3. Not many vehicles can one readily make their own fuel.

Yea....it was stock. The WRX weighs about 1500 lbs less than the Stang, has AWD so it's faster off the line and through the corners and it has a rally car chassis so handles changing road conditions better. It also brakes better due to it's lighter weight. In a qtr mile drag it beats the Stang. In a mile drag race stang wins. On a road track, street course or auto-cross it beats the Shelby GT. STOCK!

Fuck that high revving piece of jap shit and the horse it rode in on.
Did you ask the owner if it was stock?

Sure they have low paying plants down south but;
They don't offer any competition for the Volt or the Bolt
And the profits are all shipped to the Bank of Japan instead of local shareholders.

The main thing you and Mott are missing though is that this is a chance to kill a few birds with one stone;
1 The Volt is a very powerful car. (Deals with mid-Mott crisis)
2. Good step toward improving Mott's bottom line between fuel savings, lower upkeep and much longer lifespan of electric vehicle (huge smug factor)
3. Not many vehicles can one readily make their own fuel.

Mother fucker they have plants HERE. I get about 35% of my work from Japanese companies.

So you cruise for big dicks in your truck.
Legion uses this to troll for a date.....
Carry.jpg

Back