Does PTSD drive obsession with hoarding guns?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guns Guns Guns
  • Start date Start date
I'm not a gun person. I don't know how the system works.

I don't know if CA has a registry for guns, it may be that they do. However in CO there isn't one. I can buy it, even with a background check, and never register it.

Cawacko was obviously posting that as sarcasm.

However, you posted "Many military related PTSD patients are known gun nuts.", as the first post on this thread about gun hoarding. When asked for clarification about what constitutes "hoarding guns", you have only made vague references to the insecurity or mental stability of the person asking for clarification. You obviously have no answer to the questions.

You refuse to read the answers or at least pretend not to have read them. I sometimes delve into abstractions as I feel I am dealing with intelligence and sometimes I miss that mark. Straightforwardly, if you feel like someone is accusing you of being a gun nut or a gun hoarder then my recommendation to you would be to do some personal soul searching or at least a chat with your healthcare provider. Do you find that difficult to understand? Obviously, you do. Get yourself some help with that.

You refuse to read the answers or at least pretend not to have read them. I sometimes delve into abstractions as I feel I am dealing with intelligence and sometimes I miss that mark. Straightforwardly, if you feel like someone is accusing you of being a gun nut or a gun hoarder then my recommendation to you would be to do some personal soul searching or at least a chat with your healthcare provider. Do you find that difficult to understand? Obviously, you do. Get yourself some help with that.

I repeatedly asked for the criteria for determining who is "hoarding guns". Neither you nor Legion wanted to offer even the vaguest idea of what it is. You didn't suggest I needed professional help because I think someone accused me of anything.

You still have not defined "hoarding guns" or any sort of intelligent description of what a "gun nut" is, and yet you try and demean me for asking.

If you wish to discuss abstractions, I am perfectly willing to do so. But even in abstract ideas there must be basic definitions of the terms.

Pretty much every person who lives in a rural area is a "hoarder" then. Therefore I would say no, PTSD is not the drive for "hoarding".

I'd like to see some actual stats on that. I live in the country and I know of very few that possess that number of firearms. Most only have a relatively low power rifle, a shotgun and possibly a pistol for snakes and such. Many don't have a firearm at all.

Projection much?

Rarely, and certainly not in this case. I have been asking for a definition of a term on which this thread is based. I have tried to clarify the parameters so that we may be able to have an intelligent conversation on the topic. You have steadfastly refused to do so.

I have tried to have a discussion on the issue with you. But in order to do so, I needed some definition of what "hoarding guns" meant. Rather than offer up any information, you chose to launch personal attacks and wander all around the topic. This tells me you have no interest in an actual discussion. If you did, you would have participated in it in some manner besides the nonsense you have posted.

To pretend to be so intelligent at this point is laughable. If your education and intellect is so vast, why not give some idea of what you think "hoarding guns" means so we can have a discussion in which we both understand the parameters of the issue.

I'd like to see some actual stats on that. I live in the country and I know of very few that possess that number of firearms. Most only have a relatively low power rifle, a shotgun and possibly a pistol for snakes and such. Many don't have a firearm at all.

Quite a large number of people where I live (in a very rural area) hunt deer. Add one rifle for that and your own description hits 4 guns. That is certainly bordering on "hoarding".

Yes, of course it was stupid. It was sarcasm. It was intended to be stupid as is this whole idea that if you have five guns the federal government is going to knock on your door and do some psychological test on you. That's stupid.

And the Hooray, hooray at the end of my post must have meant something other than serious was going on there, didn't it? You're a freaking fool, whacky.

Interesting. I live in a rural area and everybody I know has about that many. It's anecdotal, but it is what it is. Where I live it isn't unusual to still see gun racks in cars.

Actually, if you read the first post it simply gives this title, "Does PTSD drive obsession with hoarding guns?", and the word "discuss".

I would so no, the drive for "obsession" with hoarding guns, based on the definition provided, would not be PTSD.

Then you obviously misunderstand the question and the answers given. Were your high school teachers faulty in your education in modifiers, adverbs, qualification clarity, etc.? Looks like it to me.

WB, I have great respect for you and I consider you reasonable and a friend on these issues as we have stood on the same side of this battlefield on several occasions. I have a little advise for you now. If you feel like someone is calling you a gun hoarder even though they haven't done that at all then you might do some introspection. You just might be a gun hoarder. Ditto on the gun nut question. I hope you can understand the concerns.

So if someone calls you a seriel cocksucker, you might want to do some introspection; because even though you hadn't thought you had sucked that many.

Then you obviously misunderstand the question and the answers given. Were your high school teachers faulty in your education in modifiers, adverbs, qualification clarity, etc.? Looks like it to me.

If you ever plan on adding something other than an ad hom fallacy you may actually get an answer from most of the people on this board. Ad homs are fine, and not always a fallacy, but I prefer to actually discuss things. So, either add to the conversation or be relegated to my nothing pile. I don't particularly care which way you go... but I'm hopeful you'll choose to throw in some discussion with the flavoring of ad hom rather than just try to fill us up with flavoring rather than meat.

Here are two inventory lists. Can you tell me if either of them represents "hoarding guns"?

List #1
1) Ruger No. 1 in .270 Win
2) Ruger Super Blackhawk
3) Ruger 10/22
4) Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 Govt
5) Remington M700 in 7mm magnum
6) Remington Model 35 single shot .22 (circa 1927)
7) S&W Hammerless in .38 S&W (circa 1935)
8) Ruger Blackhawk “50th Anniversary of the .44 Magnum”
9) Browning Citori 12 ga O/U
10) Remington 870 12 ga
11) Savage Single shot 16 ga
12) Ruger Single Six .22lr/.22WMR

List #2
1) Ruger No. 1 in .270 Win
2) Ruger Super Blackhawk
3) Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 Govt
4) Bushmaster M4 Carbine .223 Rem.
5) Glock 17 9mm
6) Remington Model 35 single shot .22 (circa 1927)
7) S&W Hammerless in .38 S&W (circa 1935)

Seems a little light, to me.

Back