Eastern philosophy says the self is an illusion

FYI ! Dutch you're on ignore,no need replying!
Go troll someone else!
Stop being a troll and an asshole to good people, Mason, and I'll be happy to leave you alone.

7u7vqa.jpg

IMO, Perry is unmedicated and not actively seeking treatment for his condition.

I can see where the mentally unbalanced would be incredulous that anyone can possibly excercise free will, and self control over their thoughts and actions. Obviously for the afflicted, pent up feelings of paranoia, rage, grievance can't be controlled without medication.

I agree that our brains do all those things, but do you agree that there is no self that is managing that process? The process just happens and our conscious awareness, the part that experiences the end result, is downstream from everything.

I think the mind/body problem has been largely resolved, at least to the best approximation of current science: we have a physical brain but there is no evidence of a separate persisting self in the way Plato, Augustine, or Descartes would have defined it.

Experiences being downstream does not prove free will doesn't exist. That's an extrapolation who's premises need as much proof as the conclusions.

I can see where the mentally unbalanced would be incredulous that anyone can possibly excercise free will, and self control over their thoughts and actions. Obviously for the afflicted, pent up feelings of paranoia, rage, grievance can't be controlled without medication.
Agreed. It's normal for most people to assume they are normal, often a little superior, in comparison to others. It takes education, introspection and experience for them to realize where they actually fit on the human spectrum.

My observations have shown that the first 30-35 years of an American's life is spent "finding themselves". By this time most are parents, maybe even parents of teenagers. They've established themselves in a career and have a good sense of who they are, where they've been and where they are going. Most of them are not on JPP. LOL They're too busy with their lives.

Which explains, in part, why the demographics of JPP quickly break down to American subset groups such as elderly retirees, empty nesters and nutjobs like Perry, Steven, Mason and Jack.

A sad fact both pointed out on JPP and proved daily is that many of the mentally ill are unmedicated, untreated and largely ignored by our nation until they commit a crime like shoot up a school or run down people at a parade.

IMO, Perry is unmedicated and not actively seeking treatment for his condition.

You know how I know you lie about getting a psychology degree? Because a REAL psychologist would know that what YOU do on here is malpractice and actually harmful to anyone who is actually mentally ill.

Congrats! You are actively hurting people if you honestly believe they are mentally ill. That sounds evil to me.

Wow. SO EVIL. Do you also mock, bully and attack the mentally ill In REAL LIFE?

I bet you do.

That's kind of evil. But given your homophobia it makes sense. Who else do you hate enough to try to harm?

My observations have shown t

Your observations? You mean your attempts to harm and mock those you think are mentally ill? THOSE observations?

hat the first 30-35 years of an American's life is spent "finding themselves". By this time most are parents, maybe even parents of teenagers. They've established themselves in a career and have a good sense of who they are, where they've been and where they are going. Most of them are not on JPP. LOL They're too busy with their lives.

Says the GROWN MAN who spends what appears to be LITERALLY HOURS every day on an internet forum making memes and attacking people. Interesting.

Which explains, in part, why the demographics of JPP quickly break down to American subset groups such as elderly retirees, empty nesters and nutjobs like Perry, Steven, Mason and Jack.

You sound more evil with every post. Now that I know you hate gays, trans people and the mentally ill, all of whom you attack non-stop I sense you are actually a dangerous person.

I wonder what kind of evil stuff you do IRL.

A sad fact both pointed out on JPP and proved daily is that many of the mentally ill are unmedicated, untreated and largely ignored by our nation until they commit a crime like shoot up a school or run down people at a parade.

Attack the mentally ill so you can be like Doc Douche and Cypress The Vicious.

I think the mind/body problem has been largely resolved, at least to the best approximation of current science: we have a physical brain but there is no evidence of a separate persisting self in the way Plato, Augustine, or Descartes would have defined it.

God...you know I totally agree with you on this. Too bad you are such a vile hate-filled person who attacks the mentally ill and gay people.

Experiences being downstream does not prove free will doesn't exist.

That sentence reads like it was constructed using a mathematical formula. You don't prove the non-existence of most things.

You really are amazingly stupid and evil. But again, I occasionally agree with points you make. That makes me feel dirty now.

Stop being a troll and an asshole to good people, Mason, and I'll be happy to leave you alone.

7u7vqa.jpg

^^^^All the people Doc currently is attacking personally. He makes memes so he can keep up with his hate-campaigns. So MUCH hate, so little personal creativity.

It must be galling to be a hate machine that is so impotent.

I don't know, but Oom might not like that I believe in MD Psychiatrists, not Psychologists.

Most problems are best corrected with a prescription pad!:)

I can see why you seek consolation in Mason, a mentally unbalanced poster who thinks God speaks to him and has chosen and appointed him to judge the wicked from the righteous.

Why did you make the font so large after you mocked people who do that?

You are a massive hypocrite. You seem to HATE the mentally ill and the gay people on here. Why is that? What did they do to you that makes you HATE them so?

You know how I know you lie about getting a psychology degree? Because a REAL psychologist would know that what YOU do on here is malpractice and actually harmful to anyone who is actually mentally ill.

Congrats! You are actively hurting people if you honestly believe they are mentally ill. That sounds evil to me.
First, Perry, as I've repeatedly told you, I'm not here to help the fucking nutjobs like you. My interest is research to satisfy personal curiosity. You know, like an entomologist studies bugs.

Second, as such, there's no malpractice since I'm not a doctor and, more importantly, unlike you, I don't claim to be a doctor.

Lastly, the more you post, the more you reveal who and what you are as it does everyone on JPP.

Wow. SO EVIL. Do you also mock, bully and attack the mentally ill In REAL LIFE?

I bet you do.

That's kind of evil. But given your homophobia it makes sense. Who else do you hate enough to try to harm?
^^^
Perry is repeating himself. He's locked into an anger "Mode". LOL

Your observations? You mean your attempts to harm and mock those you think are mentally ill? THOSE observations?

Says the GROWN MAN who spends what appears to be LITERALLY HOURS every day on an internet forum making memes and attacking people. Interesting.

You sound more evil with every post. Now that I know you hate gays, trans people and the mentally ill, all of whom you attack non-stop I sense you are actually a dangerous person.

I wonder what kind of evil stuff you do IRL.

Attack the mentally ill so you can be like Doc Douche and Cypress The Vicious.
QED on the rants, repeating himself and the anger. Interesting.

I don't know, but Oom might not like that I believe in MD Psychiatrists, not Psychologists.

Most problems are best corrected with a prescription pad!:)
JFK's space program put us on the Moon.

Obama's Cancer "Moonshot" made excellent advances in treating cancer.

Our nation, along with the rest of the world, needs a mental illness research program akin to the Moonshot. Just drugging people is not curing them, it's only shutting them up.

Experiences being downstream does not prove free will doesn't exist. That's an extrapolation who's premises need as much proof as the conclusions.

Since I have beat this topic to death, and expressed my position in basically every way humanly possible, can you explain how you can have free will without a self? How would that work?

JFK's space program put us on the Moon.

Obama's Cancer "Moonshot" made excellent advances in treating cancer.

Our nation, along with the rest of the world, needs a mental illness research program akin to the Moonshot. Just drugging people is not curing them, it's only shutting them up.

No, it's primarily mitigating chemical imbalances in the brain.
Mental problems are organic.

I support mental health as much as anybody, but I don't think mental illness is any different than any other kind.

That said, my areas of expertise are accounting journal entries and labor relations [the two simultaneous jobs of my working life].
I have to trust the docs.

No, it's primarily mitigating chemical imbalances in the brain.
Mental problems are organic.

I support mental health as much as anybody, but I don't think mental illness is any different than any other kind.

That said, my areas of expertise are accounting journal entries and labor relations [the two simultaneous jobs of my working life].
I have to trust the docs.

Some do, but many are like throwing a wet blanket over their heads. It just dumbs them down to silence. It's one reason why many, especially bipolars and schizos go off their meds.

Additionally, just a prescription pad with better meds isn't enough. They also need regular therapy, either group or single.

Back