Eastern philosophy says the self is an illusion

Of course complex language is not spontaneous. People learn language just as they learn anything else. Children who do not have the use of complex language, like a dog for example, are still able to learn and have their future behavior modified based on what they've learned.... Without the use of complex language.

Human beings created language. In fact, they created several of them so it's not just a genetic thing. It's a tool created by reasoning minds.

Human beings created language. In fact, they created several of them so it's not just a genetic thing. It's a tool created by reasoning minds.

I mostly agree, though we don't really know why modern humans have the ability to use complex language.

Whether you think in images or complex language, it's still true that you can learn and have future decisions impacted. It's also true that no animals, including humans, can control their thoughts.

Last edited:
200w.webp
200w.webp
200w.webp

The last time you attempted to call BS on me, it blew up in your face and you ran away from the thread..
You were the one who ran away. I posted the text and showed in detail how you were grossly mistaken. You panicked and fled rather than learn.

But in this case, I was not calling booooolsch't on you but rather on the claim of existence recursion. If the answer is that you never called boooooolsch't then that is all you need to say. I think most posters on JPP realize that you are a mindless regurgitator of whatever insanity you are told to believe by your thought-masters, so I don't think anyone really expects you to call boooooolsch't on anything you are told to preach.

I see that you fear reprisal more that you enjoy learning something new. Carry on.

fb59bdbc5fbddb0c5195354b333ffa61.jpg

I mostly agree, though we don't really know why modern humans have the ability to use complex language.

Whether you think in images or complex language, it's still true that you can learn and have future decisions impacted. It's also true that no animals, including humans, can't control their thoughts.

If you cannot control your thoughts, then what forced you to write that. Serious question. You constantly evade it.

200w.webp
200w.webp
200w.webp

If you cannot control your thoughts, then what forced you to write that. Serious question. You constantly evade it.
I'll answer it. The writing of the post is a result of random chance. Certain random chemical reactions caused certain synapses to fire which caused several cognitive decisions to be made which resulted in the post after a long, complex chain of neuro-chemical reactions which weren't controlled by anybody.

291e5a9de14beedc8a462e5ab5191f0d.jpg

I have thoughts to do or not do things, but I don't control them. I don't have any visibility to or control over the neurological processes that generate thoughts. Those processes just happen, thoughts appear in my consciousness and determine my actions.

Last edited:
I have thoughts to do or not do things, but I don't control them. I don't have any visibility to or control over the neurological processes that generates neurological processes that generate thoughts. Those processes just happen, thoughts appear in my consciousness and determine my actions.

So, what mysterious force is making you type those words?

So, what mysterious force is making you type those words?

That's an incredibly complex question. As to why I am typing in English? It's because that's the only language that I know well enough to utilize. The same is true when I'm speaking. The question of why I am even on this site, why I decided to search for political sites, why I chose this one, why I find some topics interesting and others not interesting... I have no idea. I could probably make some educated guesses, but each step along the way, I have visibility to why I make any decision that I make.

And the reason I have no idea is because I didn't control the thoughts that went into those decisions. My brain, without my control, generated every thought that goes into every decision.

That's an incredibly complex question. As to why I am typing in English? It's because that's the only language that I know well enough to utilize. The same is true when I'm speaking. The question of why I am even on this site, why I decided to search for political sites, why I chose this one, why I find some topics interesting and others not interesting... I have no idea. I could probably make some educated guesses, but each step along the way, I have visibility to why I make any decision that I make.

You know you don't make decisions. But you don't know what makes those decisions for you.

You know you don't make decisions. But you don't know what makes those decisions for you.

As I've said, my thoughts determine my every decision, but I don't consciously generate or control the thoughts that determine my decisions and actions.

"I" am downstream from everything that goes into my decisions/actions.

Last time: How do you know that?

All you have to do is pay attention to your experience of thinking. You don't know what you're going to think until you think it. It's all happening at a level of your brain that you have no control over. I gave you an example some time ago about thinking of a movie. You don't know what movies you're going to think of until they show up in consciousness, yet there's an entire process going on, in your brain, that is picking the names and sending them into your consciousness. You might as well have someone whispering the names in your ear for all of the ability that you have to control them

Last edited:
All you have to do is pay attention to your experience of thinking. You don't know what you're going to think until you think it. It's all happening at a level of your brain that you have no control over. I have you an example some time ago about thinking of a movie. You don't know what movies you're going to think of until they show up in consciousness, yet there's an entire process going on, in your brain, that is picking the names and sending them into your consciousness. You might as well have someone whispering the names in your ear for all of the ability that you have to control them

Sounds like schizophrenia.

Sounds like schizophrenia.

Lol. It's definitely not schizophrenia. It's simply the way we experience our thoughts. I mean, we ARE talking to ourselves all the time, it not because of a mental disorder, but because there is no self that exists outside our stream of thought.

My thoughts don't occur like that.

Of course they do. You aren't the exception. You are downstream from everything in your brain. You only experience the thoughts your brain sends to your conscious mind. You don't make them. You can't stop them. They just happen.... constantly.

Last edited:
Of course they do. You aren't the exception. You are downstream from everything in your brain. You only experience the thoughts your brain sends to your conscious mind. You don't make them. You can't stop them. They just happen.... constantly.

I have no idea what you're talking about.
Is your brain controlled by some alien in another universe?

Back