For those with deep belief in a creator, we have a soul that is unique to being human

Scientists can't explain why love can make you sad.
Neurons are just cells. They are not sentient in and of themselves.

Neurotransmitters are just inert chemicals.

The mystery is how emergent properties like consciousness, imagination, creativity, abstract thinking, and our inner mental experience emerges out of a network of neurons.

Neurons are just cells. They are not sentient in and of themselves.

Neurotransmitters are just inert chemicals.

The mystery is how emergent properties like consciousness, imagination, creativity, abstract thinking, and our inner mental experience emerges out of a network of neurons.

It's your belief in emergence. Not a good theory.

According to the major monotheistic religions—Judaism, Christianity, and Islam—humans have a special nature and destiny, different from and superior to those of other animals. Created by a divine power, humans resemble it in not belonging entirely to the natural world. They exercise a freedom of will no other animal possesses and, thanks to the afterlife, are exempt from mortality.

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2021/12/02/the-minds-body-problem/
The jury is still out on that party. :)

Seriously, Matt, what's wrong with you tonight? Are you really stoned/drunk? Why are you so angry over the concept that other lifeforms besides us have emotions and possibly the same concepts of "souls" as we do?

You asked if I'm a vegan. No, I'm a meatasaurus. I don't hunt but I do fish. As all lifeforms must do to exist on this planet, I must consume to stay alive. That doesn't mean that I cannot recognize that those who I eat have lives and are worthy of respect.

Was this thread not addressed to those with a deep belief in a Creator?

Was this thread not addressed to those with a deep belief in a Creator?

No. It was addressed to the forum to discuss, and merely stated that "To those with deep belief in a Creator...."

Many cultures have both a belief in a creator and a respect for and understanding that the other passengers we share the planet with are worthy of our regard. We are not "better" than they; we merely share the same space.

According to the major monotheistic religions—Judaism, Christianity, and Islam—humans have a special nature and destiny, different from and superior to those of other animals. Created by a divine power, humans resemble it in not belonging entirely to the natural world. They exercise a freedom of will no other animal possesses and, thanks to the afterlife, are exempt from mortality.

Does this mean I'm going to Heaven?

No. It was addressed to the forum to discuss, and merely stated that "To those with deep belief in a Creator...."

Many cultures have both a belief in a creator and a respect for and understanding that the other passengers we share the planet with are worthy of our regard. We are not "better" than they; we merely share the same space.

But uhm, the OP said: "For those with a deep belief in a creator"

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...-we-have-a-soul-that-is-unique-to-being-human

well yeah, not exactly an new take on this.

^Doublespeak. :dunno:

Origin of "transhumanism":

The sentence Challenger quotes, which comes from Huxley’s New Bottles for New Wine (1957), reads in its entirety, “The human species can, if it wishes, transcend itself—not just sporadically, an individual here in one way, an individual there in another way, but in its entirety, as humanity.” Huxley continues:

“I believe in transhumanism”: once there are enough people who can truly say that, the human species will be on the threshold of a new kind of existence, as different from ours as ours is from that of Pekin man. It will at last be consciously fulfilling its real destiny.

:palm:

Something tells me that was about 1 hour after a good joint and dropping a hit of acid.

Disagreed. You're not a Christian or any other religion so why do you give a shit?

You got anything else you can be totally wrong about, dumbass? Wait, of course you do!

:laugh:

The next time you get something right will be the 1st time. You're like Wrong Way Feldman.

Last edited:
As Melanie Challenger writes in How to Be Animal:

For those with deep belief in a creator, we have a soul that is unique to the human body. For secular humanist thinkers, we have soul-like mental powers that are unique to the human brain. Each is a reason for why humans aren’t truly animals. At least, not in any crucial way.

I have no idea who she is, but she's partially correct. Mankind's brain is unique and unlikely to be replicated mechanically although genetically manipulating the DNA of animals may produce more intelligent or rational creatures.

image-asset.jpeg

Back