How To Make Sense Of The Michael Dunn Verdict

Second degree murder is automatically included as is manslaughter on a first degree murder charge in Florida.

right, but if you start with 1st and have the lesser includeds, the jury might be split. some may not want to waiver from 1st degree, others may not want to budge from 2nd degree. If they just started with 2nd degree to begin with, then that's all they would have had to settle on.

If you are guilty of first the you are guilty of second and then some. There would have been no reason for the jury to comeback with a mistrial if some felt he was guilty of first and others second. They would have been deadlocked on first and unanimous on second.

i'm pretty sure that isn't the case. everyone must give their vote implicitly for the second degree murder conviction. otherwise in this situation one person was feeling not guilty for 1st/2nd/manslaughter which seems highly unlikely.

right, but if you start with 1st and have the lesser includeds, the jury might be split. some may not want to waiver from 1st degree, others may not want to budge from 2nd degree. If they just started with 2nd degree to begin with, then that's all they would have had to settle on.

Nope. If you are guilty of first then you are certainly guilty of second and being guilty of second in no way implies not guilty of first. It is a lesser and included offense.

It's like trying to stretch a single. You still get credit for the single even if you fail to get the double.

True, in Florida, you come home and see your wife in bed with another man, you say, "Im going to kill you" then go get your gun, that is first degree murder. If simply jump on him and kill the man, without thinking about it, just in a fit or rage, that's murder two.

But wasn't Dunn in essence "going to get his gun" when he turned away from the person he testified he thought was coming to kill him, to get his gun from the glovebox?

i'm pretty sure that isn't the case. everyone must give their vote implicitly for the second degree murder conviction. otherwise in this situation one person was feeling not guilty for 1st/2nd/manslaughter which seems highly unlikely.

That is EXACTLY what the verdict implies.

I encluded both defintions in one sentence . . . Secondly; I have to show anything about it: the DA obviously thought it was planned with cruelty or a muder 1 charge would not have gone to trial. I think Dunn did it in cold blood and with prejudice based on his pejorative comments about thug music.

I wonder why liberals aren't demanding "justice" for 15 year old Adrian Broadway...

Police said Willie Noble, 48, shot at the carload of teenagers after he found eggs, mayonnaise and toilet paper covering his car.

He waited for the teens to return, then fired his gun, police said.

Adrian Broadway died from a gunshot wound to the head.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/man-charged-teen-death-shot-scare-22569998

Second degree murder is automatically included as is manslaughter on a first degree murder charge in Florida.

If you are guilty of first the you are guilty of second and then some. There would have been no reason for the jury to comeback with a mistrial if some felt he was guilty of first and others second. They would have been deadlocked on first and unanimous on second.

Btw, premeditated killing, according to Florida jury instructions, means killing after deciding to do so. It does not require that you lie in wait or have some well devised plan.

^^^ I'm glad you pointed this out.

Christiekins isn't poutraged by Willie or Roderick...is she? :dunno:

http://rochester.twcnews.com/content/news/490556/roderick-scott-claims-self-defense-in-teen-s-shooting/

Christiekins isn't poutraged by Willie or Roderick...is she? :dunno:

http://rochester.twcnews.com/content/news/490556/roderick-scott-claims-self-defense-in-teen-s-shooting/

This is the first I've seen of the car vandalism shooting and I think we discussed the other one yesterday.

Why do you think I'm not outraged by gun violence no matter who is the shooter? :confused:

No call to action from Daily Kos or Think Progress when Black men shoot kids?

Because you posted tons of poutrage when white men shot Black teens, and I've seen none from you when Black men shot a white teen boy and a Black teen girl.

Then you haven't been paying attention. Furthermore, my main complaint is the number of needless gun deaths, period, and color is a distant second.

Why would color be an issue at all? Racist much?

"... you posted tons of poutrage when white men shot Black teens, and I've seen none from you when Black men shot a white teen boy and a Black teen girl."

^^I was responding to this comment about color. Reading is fundamental.

And there we have it.
You have nothing to support what you THINK, you had nothing to support what you THINK, and you will probably never have anything to support what you THINK.
But then, you weren't really thinking and what you really meant, was FEEL. :palm:

At ease - you're dismissed.

I have everything to support my opinion: the fact that Dunn was charged with murder 1 starts that off. The fact there was no threat to Dunn’s life and limb is another. Dunn acted out of rage and fired 10 rounds (12 round clip?) into the SUV, moreover he fired into a fleeing vehicle; that’s three. Four, his comments about “thug music” and “thug culture” clearly demonstrates his prejudice. No gun was found in the SUV; that’s five. So right off the bat, the state of Florida supports my thinking.

KKSF, about 12:30 played jail tapes of Dunn talking with his fiance’ where in Dunn said “They have me in a private room”, (like he’s at a Holiday Inn) and “at least I don’t have to be in with those animals”. Now, the jury of course convicted him on 2 lesser charges and at the age of 47, Dunn won’t be getting out; if he lives long enough. I guarantee you that the general population knows all at about him by now, and all the shit he’s said. He a classic right –wing CCW guy who knew he could say what he wanted because he had a gun . . . His thinking stung him right in the ass. I don’t know if the murder 1 mistrial will go forward, but as I’ve said, I think it should. So in the end, it was Dunn who let his feelings get in the way of his judgment and now he’s screwed. Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.

Back