‘If God is dead, then everything is permitted.’

Yeah, here's a great example:

GettyImages-1216826630.jpg

Matthew 7:21-23 "Not everyone who says to me 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven..."

You just needed to post something.

I've always been innately peaceful, a pussy you might call it.

morality is my born nature. but there is reason to it.

cooperation is smarter than zero sum human on human predation.

morality is our most human evolved trait.

Our mind is our most evolved trait. Only then, can we possess a sense of morality, compassion, and even our own mortality.

Too bad people don’t use their minds as much as they could/should.

Life is worth very little today

Preposterous.

In the last 150 years,, we ended slavery, endet child labor, enacted a whole pantheon of work safety and transportation safety regulations, and almost half our government budgets one health care because we value life.

International treaties criminalizing offensive war are based in part on the just war theories of Saint Augustine. War crimes have been criminalized.

Human sacrifice is universally considered repulsive, even though it had been practiced for thousands of years.

Even animal sacrifice has been widely criminalized.

Four thousand years ago, or even five hundred years ago, there wasn't as much value placed on life, and offensive wars of conquest were just universally accepted as part of the human experience.

Preposterous.

In the last 150 years,, we ended slavery, endet child labor, enacted a whole pantheon of work safety and transportation safety regulations, and almost half our government budgets one health care because we value life.

International treaties criminalizing offensive war are based in part on the just war theories of Saint Augustine. War crimes have been criminalized.

Human sacrifice is universally considered repulsive, even though it had been practiced for thousands of heat

Four thousand years ago, or even five hundred years ago, there wasn't as much value placed onelifet, and offensive wars of conquest were just universally accepted as part of the human experience.

And we've killed more than 60.million babies. No way is life valuable

You just needed to post something.

No, I needed to post a confirmation of what you said. We are seeing evil people leverage religion for their benefit. It is so easy to do with religion. Just look at all the people who agree with you that God dictates what is right and wrong and how many of them gravitated to this ravening wolf in sheep's clothing.

Just goes to show: religion never kept anyone from supporting whatever evil is truly in their heart and atheism never stopped anyone from supporting whatever good was truly in their heart.

Preposterous.

Human sacrifice is universally considered repulsive, even though it had been practiced for thousands of years.

Even animal sacrifice has been widely criminalized.

Four thousand years ago, or even five hundred years ago, there wasn't as much value placed on life, and offensive wars of conquest were just universally accepted as part of the human experience.

Additionally, more and more countries (and states in the US) are abolishing the death penalty.

Because we have laws enacted by HUMANS, everything is not permitted. Every society dictates what is permissible and what is not.

Given that, the true benevolent and omnipotent God of the Universe would be like this:

“OK, I created this universe and you became part of it. You have evolved with free will. I allowed that. I don’t require you to worship me, pray to me, kill for me or anything of the sort. You can even reject the idea that I even exist. Great. I’m God and I do fine without recognition.

As humans and being imperfect, I realize you’re going to fuck up from time to time. Make poor choices. Hurt yourself or others. I get it. But here’s the deal. I’m omnipotent and I can see into your heart. So, when the time comes, it will be easy to sort out the good ones from the bad ones. It’s that simple.”

That’s how a REAL god operates.

Because we have laws enacted by HUMANS, everything is not permitted. Every society dictates what is permissible and what is not.

Given that, the true benevolent and omnipotent God of the Universe would be like this:

“OK, I created this universe and you became part of it. You have evolved with free will. I allowed that. I don’t require you to worship me, pray to me, kill for me or anything of the sort. You can even reject the idea that I even exist. Great. I’m God and I do fine without recognition.

As humans and being imperfect, I realize you’re going to fuck up from time to time. Make poor choices. Hurt yourself or others. I get it. But here’s the deal. I’m omnipotent and I can see into your heart. So, when the time comes, it will be easy to sort out the good ones from the bad ones. It’s that simple.”

That’s how a REAL god operates.

I guess. Still seems dumb.

And we've killed more than 60.million babies. No way is life valuable
Abortion has been happening for thousands of years. And not every culture considers an undeveloped fetus to be a human being.

Universal, easy, and low cost access to contraception, sex education, and morning-after pills would make abortion exceedingly rare, if conservatives would allow it

I guess. Still seems dumb.

Of course it is. But if everybody gets to make up a god with attributes they like, that’s the one I might choose. Now, do I believe that? Of course not.

At the beginning, you’re born. At the end, you die. No different than a tree or a cockroach or a fish or any other living thing. So, do the best you can in between those two events.

Abortion has been happening for thousands of years. And not every culture considers an undeveloped fetus to be a human being.

Universal, easy, and low cost access to contraception, sex education, and morning-after pills would make abortion exceedingly rare, if conservatives would allow it

It doesnt make it abortion just or moral

If there is a God, or a supreme transcendent truth, I don't think it directly acts in human or Earthly affairs. Maybe it acts through human beings: Martin Luther King Jr , Dalai Lama, Buddha, the human Jesus, Confucious, Halima Aden, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Mother Theresa, and more.

You have considered the possibility of different transcendent truths.
That's admirably scholarly.

I've only considered the deity that was described to me in our ethnic traditions.
All of my comments apply only to that one.

You have considered the possibility of different transcendent truths.
That's admirably scholarly.

I've only considered the deity that was described to me in our ethnic traditions.
All of my comments apply only to that one.
Well, it would be easy for me to be casually dismissive of God, if I thought he looked like the old man on the ceiling of the Sistine chapel, and he was supposed to answer prayers to stop earthquakes, cancer, and shark attacks.

But if I am going to be genuinely Agnostic and open minded about the conceptions of a higher spiritual reality, I feel like I have to make an honest effort to grasp the transcendant ultimate truths concieved of by world religious traditions. I don't even think all Christian traditions have the same conception of God.

That means that most of mankind is in hell. Good to know. You’ll have plenty of company.
1) there are currently more Christians than there were people in the world in 1950.....I expect it is hell that will be less populated....
2) why would I be there?.....I am a believer.....oh, did you think you had to be sinless to go to heaven?......no wonder you think it will be empty......

Back