In Memoriam - Dixie, Iconic Poster and original p.com crew, passed away 1/22/2018

I knew a lot of guys like Dixie when I lived in the South. Hard as nails on the outside and old softies on the inside. Good men all. I have to admit I often played devils advocate with Dixie cause I loved his rants and enjoyed provoking him. . Given time and the mood I can write a pretty good rant but just not in Dixie’s off the cuff extemporaneous manner. There he was the Judo master.

I too can write a decent rant. But Dixie's were epic.

Part of that is southern culture. But a large part was just Dixie.

I'll admit right here that I didn't read a lot of Dixie's posts. To me he was almost like Faulkner, another Southern intellectual whose prose was far over my head.
I used to think that about Faulkner too. Then I met this law professor from U of A at Little Rock at a small book store in Blytheville Arkansas. She said don’t over think Faulkner. He’s writing the characters thoughts as they ( or rather Faulkner) thinks them. This style is called “stream of consciousness”. I read “The Sound and the Fury” after she told me that and it made a lot more sense.

I used to think that about Faulkner too. Then I met this law professor from U of A at Little Rock at a small book store in Blytheville Arkansas. She said don’t over think Faulkner. He’s writing the characters thoughts as they ( or rather Faulkner) thinks them. This style is called “stream of consciousness”. I read “The Sound and the Fury” after she told me that and it made a lot more sense.

My college lit. prof. made Faulkner entirely optional. "Either you get it or you don't." Me, I like punctuation and paragraph organization. It's the way my mind is.

Sometime this coming weekend I'll work to find all of Dixie's old posts and get them in the right area so we can peruse and remember.

Hey, can one of you mods pull up the 1/3 thing? I’ve heard a lot about it, and would like to see his position on it.

Dixie's point was that when dividing one whole unit into thirds, the math says there is a repeating decimal and thus the leftover portion produces a remainder which must be placed with one of the portions and it creates one portion that is larger than the other two. He therefore concluded there were no such thing as equal thirds

He wasn't wrong in a precise mathmatical sense, but our mathletes here at the site all ignored it and got silly with it. It was funny.

Dixie's point was that when dividing one whole unit into thirds, the math says there is a repeating decimal and thus the leftover portion produces a remainder which must be placed with one of the portions and it creates one portion that is larger than the other two. He therefore concluded there were no such thing as equal thirds

He wasn't wrong in a precise mathmatical sense, but our mathletes here at the site all ignored it and got silly with it. It was funny.

I had heard tell by Dixie- he retold it with humor. I read the link 3D posted to it. It was funnier than heck!

He was wrong and the mathletes proved it. ;)

So what's the precise value of 1/3? Now multiply that value by 3. No matter what, you will be short of 1 by a value of 1/infinity

1/3 is the precise value of 1/3, and if you multiply it by 3 you get 1 with no 1/infinity nonsense. Math is not solely expressed by decimals.

1/3 can be expressed exactly in decimal form by 0.3 repeating. I just don't know how to produce that symbol with my keyboard, but it is a bar over the last decimal.

So what's the precise value of 1/3? Now multiply that value by 3. No matter what, you will be short of 1 by a value of 1/infinity

So you're saying that if I cut a pie into 3 pieces, separate them, and then put them back in the pan, that a section will be missing. :eek2:

Back